Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding on the stock tires that came with my 2017 Roadmaster -- Dunlop® Elite 3. As I look ahead to new tires I am considering Michelin Pilot Road 4. Specifically I want traction in the rain as well as just good handling in the curves on dry roads. Anybody riding on them and what is your experience?

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I am in the same boat. I don't have any issues with the Dunlops but have been a long time Michelin fan. In cagers I find them to provide good grip and longevity.
Do they not rate motorcycle tires like the rest for Traction & Wear?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I have learned that the Michelin Pilot 4 tires only come in 17inch and the rims of the Roadmaster are 16 inches. So I will have to find another tire that offers great rain traction and really good dry handling. Any suggestions??

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,217 Posts
Ok, so I have learned that the Michelin Pilot 4 tires only come in 17inch and the rims of the Roadmaster are 16 inches. So I will have to find another tire that offers great rain traction and really good dry handling. Any suggestions??
Try the Commander 2s. They are bias tires but handle well in dry and wet conditions and last a good long time. Many riders have switched to them and are very happy with them including me. Dean E

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the E4's on my chieftain with a tour pack, I ride mostly 2 up and I like them. They are way better than the 3's on wet. The only thig against the 4's is the front gets a little wiggley on groved cement highways. But nothing bad.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I ran Metzler 880s on my Shadow, and it stuck to the pavement in wet weather. Metzlers were also recommended by some fellow riders here in Germany due to the different composition of the road surface which causes the roads to get slick at the least bit of moisture.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm enjoying Pirelli Marathon 888 tyres, wet or dry, slow and fast on my 2017 RM....
6000 miles so far and no discernable wear but who knows... I used to accept 1500m from a rear tyre on my Suzi GSXR as it was a fantastic 1500m - so for sure tyre wear isn't top of my priorities as I'm only doing 8000 miles per year max. My Bike came with Avon Cobra's but I couldn't get on with them... (hated behaviour of pulling to one side or other when it hit a groove) but others swear by them. The 888s I find behave very well in all circumstances.
Just my pennys worth.

·
German Rider
2,074 Posts
Try the Commander 2s. They are bias tires but handle well in dry and wet conditions and last a food long time. Many riders have switched to them and are very happy with them including me. Dean E
Do they manufactor the Commander2 for the Roadmaster ? Didnt find the rear tire size ? Had those on my Vulcan 1700 Voyager and I liked them very much. Perhaps not the best tire during rain (for me), but the will last forever.

Cu,
Sven

·
German Rider
2,074 Posts
Michelin Commander 2 :
The make them in 16, but only 180/65/16 instead of the needed size of 180/60/16 for the Roadmaster rear tire.
Front is available.

Metzeler :
Front & rear sizes available in Thread pattern 888 and cruisetec.

Cu,
Sven

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Michelin Commander 2 :
The make them in 16, but only 180/65/16 instead of the needed size of 180/60/16 for the Roadmaster rear tire.
Front is available.

Metzeler :
Front & rear sizes available in Thread pattern 888 and cruisetec.

Cu,
Sven
I mounted the Michelin Commander II 180/65/16 Rear on my Chief with no problems. Many other riders have as well.

At 9mm (about 1/3rd. of an inch), the difference in height of the tire compared to a 180/60 is negligible.

·
German Rider
2,074 Posts
In the USA maybe, but not in frickin GERMANY ! Only allowed what is stated in the vehicle papers if something other, it is illegal and you will loose your license plate to the cops or at the 2 year DOT inspection here. Not cheap that kind of fine.

Cu,
Sven

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,217 Posts
In the USA maybe, but not in frickin GERMANY ! Only allowed what is stated in the vehicle papers if something other, it is illegal and you will loose your license plate to the cops or at the 2 year DOT inspection here. Not cheap that kind of fine.

Cu,
Sven
WOW, you got to be kidding. I mounted the 165s on my RM and they work fine. Matter of fact the speedo is more accurate now with the slightly taller tire. Would there be something you could submit to them that would allow the 165s on your bike? Also, would they be anal enough to get down on the ground and look for the tire size? It is a pain in the butt to just get air in the back tire let alone to look at the tire size on a RM. Dean

1 - 20 of 88 Posts