Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

New thread title: Moab trip in the books - video & photos

4K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  EssEll 
#1 ·

We'll be trailering the Chief and the Scout down there to spend about four days in the area and take in some of that incredible scenery. If anyone has any suggestions, tips, recommendations, etc., we're all ears!

See less See more
#6 ·
You are in the center of some of the most amazing sites in the west.
Monument Valley is a must and you can hit the Grand Canyon as well.
Zion, Arches and all the National Parks are spectacular.
I don’t know what I was thinking but we rode most of the state this last July, 107 degree heat and all.

#16 · (Edited)
Be sure to drive scenic Highway 128 just north of Moab. It’s 45 miles of incredible scenery right along the Colorado River.
Best grub in town is Pasta Jay’s and Moab Brewery.
I agree - it is a fabulous ride! You ride right next to the river. There are spots where you can touch the canyon wall on one side and spit into the Colorado River on the other. I rode it as I left Moab for Denver. So glad I did!!!
Body of water River Water resources Nature Water
Wadi Badlands Mountainous landforms Road Rock
Body of water River Wadi Water resources Natural landscape
Wadi Mountainous landforms Canyon Natural landscape Geological phenomenon
River Wadi Wilderness Mountainous landforms Water resources
Mountainous landforms Water resources Wadi River Wilderness
Body of water River Wadi Water resources Natural landscape
Mountainous landforms Wadi Water resources River Waterway

#8 ·
Utah is my favorite place to ride. I've ridden my Scout from British Columbia to Utah once a year since i bought it and will probably do it a third time in June.

Here are my favorite rides in the area:

Good Utah, Bad Utah
Bad Utah

Salt Lake City sucks. It’s a gargantuan six lane concrete slab sprawled out across a dry lakebed, an endless series of industrial parks and gas stations. There is no reason to be there on a motorcycle. Stay away.

I-15 in general is dreadfully boring all of the way from Logan to Dixie National Forest / Cedar City. Wide open prairies, an occasional mountain range way off on the horizon. Stay off I-15 as much as possible and you’re golden.

Good Utah
National Parks & Recreation Areas

As far as Utah goes, these are my personal favorite national parks & recreation areas:

1. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area & SR-95 (Bicentennial Highway)
~200 km of the most unbelievable landscapes I’ve ever seen. Zero people, zero services. Just hours upon hours of scenic insanity. Stop at every overlook, investigate every little side road (assuming you have enough gas with you), speed as much as you want, stop and smell the canyons every chance you get. #2 and #3 are probably more deserving of the #1 spot but personally this is my favorite motorcycle road in the world.

2. Zion National Park
There is a reason it’s the most popular place in Utah. Completely stunning in every direction at all times. The only downside to Zion is that it’s the most popular, meaning it’s absolutely loaded with tourists every single day. Traffic crawls but who gives a shit when you’re in possibly the most beautiful place on Earth. Take your time, even if you’re getting sick of people waving selfie sticks around you might only get to see it once so see as much of it as possible. Set aside at least the majority of a day for it. Take the crowded tour bus to the Temple of Sinawava, do it all, go into debt if you have to.

3. Bryce Canyon National Park
Impossible to choose between Bryce and Zion for #2, please for the love of god go to both. It’s possible to do both in a single day but you have to rush it, please don’t rush it, both of them absolutely deserve their own day and all of the time you can give them. Bryce Canyon is a one way street that winds up into the sky, the best way to experience it is to drive all of the way to the top without stopping (try not to hit a deer on the way up, good luck). Take a piss and a picture at the top and then start making your way down the mountain one overlook at a time, stop at every single one of them. When you do it this way every view is more incredible than the last and there are so god damn many of them. Try to be at Sunset Point for sunset and when you’re at Sunset Point you must do the Navajo loop trail, even if your feet hurt. One of the best things about Bryce Canyon is that you can actually walk down into the views.

4. Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument & SR-12 (Journey Through Time Scenic Byway)
~250 more km of the most ridiculous scenery, a violent eyegasm undisturbed by tourists and traffic. Wake up in Bryce or Hanksville depending on the route you take and head for Utah State Route 12, have lunch in Boulder at Hell’s Backbone Grill. Again, stop at every overlook, investigate back roads, take as many scenic pisses off as many cliffs as you can..

5. Arches National Park
Up there with Zion in terms of popularity, also for good reason. Very slow going in Arches but that’s how it ought to be. Poke around, eat some jerky, stay hydrated, stay patient.

6. Capitol Reef National Park
Short and sweet, but very sweet. Basically a Grand Staircase-Escalante expansion. Most of the really cool shit is a short hike off the highway, so every time you see a sign that says “Such and Such Point” slam on the brakes and check it out. Make sure you stop at Swing Arm City, notorious dirt riding area.

7. Canyonlands National Park & Dead Horse Point
Not quite as fun as some of the places above but Grand View Point and Dead Horse Point are as iconic as any other overlooks in Utah and totally worth checking out. Moab is an amazing town, off-road mecca.

8. Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover, and West Wendover
The Bonneville Flats need no introduction. Wendover should be a surprise. If you’re only going to get a small taste of Nevada on this trip, let it be West Wendover.

Pro-Tip: The only salt flats rest area worth stopping at is only accessible from the westbound highway.

9. San Rafael Swell & Black Dragon Point
A ridiculously cool section of I-70, short detour from the very strange town of Green River.

#11 ·
I've ridden in the area many times. Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned, but here they are: Ride to Dead Horse Point State Park; pleasant ride, very scenic spot. Ride route 128 east of Moab; outstanding scenery. Ride south out of Moab to Natural Bridges National Monument, a worthwhile stop, take a short hike if you are so inclined. The ride on highway 95 to 24 to 12 all the way to Bryce Canyon NP is certainly one of the best 5 motorcycle rides in the USA. Check out Kodachrome Basin State Park along the way. In my opinion, Bryce Canyon is the most beautiful spot in the four corners area. Be forewarned that all of the National Parks will be extremely crowded, especially Arches and Zion. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon, it is worth the trip. Have fun.

Jon

#13 ·
I live in northern Utah so i will put in my 2 cents as well.
While you are there you will for sure not want to miss 128 out of Moab. It is a beautiful ride along the Colorado River with high canyon walls for a good part of it. Go as far as you want along the road and the turn around and do it in reverse if you need to get back to town. But I would suggest making a longer day trip out of it and make your way into Colorado to ride the Colorado National Monument loop. Great scenery and twisties to leave you smiling for days.

If you are looking to spend any time outside of Moab even for a day or 2 you would be kicking yourself for not experiencing UT Hwy 12. Do any amount of googling about that route and you will see why it is on the top 10 of many lists of best motorcycle roads in the US. From Moab just head over Capital Reef Natn'l Park to see the sites there and maybe treat yourself to some fresh apples off the trees. From Torrey Ut you will head south on Hwy 12 all the way to Bryce Canyon, which is also totally worth seeing by the way. On the busy days there are thousands of people driving in and out of Bryce Canyon so i would suggest taking the shuttle into the park, though you may have better luck on the bike finding parking spots than in a car. From Bryce Canyon you can continue on to Zion Natn'l park if your route takes you that way. From there you may as well head to Grand Canyon and then east from there to Monument Valley and then keep going north from there back to Moab.

PM me and i will give you my contact info, if you want to have a local contact in case you have some issues on your trip. I am about 4 hours from Moab but i am happy to help if you end up in a situation where you need some.

#14 ·
We're taking a trip late June through early July... Heading to Great Basin NP in Nevada first, then heading down to Zion. Spending a few days there then heading up to Moab for several days before heading to Ouray, Colorado for the 4th, then back to Idaho. Not taking the bike though... Toy hauler will be full with the RZR, 4 wheeler in the truck bed.

#15 · (Edited)
Just a cautionary note until this CV-19 passes. My nephew was headed out there for some bicycling. He canceled when covid hit. One of his buds went out there jeepjng anyway and now has COVID — airlifted to Pueblo CO for advanced treatment (ventilator). No advanced medical in Moab for COVID. Moab was the only place he visited. No further specifics on where in Moab he may have contracted it (and note that he is from Colorado and may have contracted it asymptomatically prior to leaving for Moab). He was in Moab for two days with no symptoms before suddenly becoming ill. This guy is in his mid-30’s.

#19 ·
+1 for Deadhorse point. Just remember that it is a state park so your Annual National Parks pass will not get you in. It's a separate $20 bucks, but money well spent.

And while we are on the subject of state parks with extra entry fees, swing over to Goblin Valley state park for a unique experience.
Badlands Historic site Rock Formation Geology

#27 ·
Yeah, I heard that. Unfortunately, everytime I say I'm from NY, everyone equates that to New York City which angers me so much because NYC has never been anything but a PIA to us Upstat'ers. I wish they either make it a separate state or saw that area off and let it float out to sea....with our Governor as it's captain.

#21 ·
These are all great suggestions! I have seen them all with my planned rides but I did get lost once and luckily ended up going thru Glenn Canyon which was a pleasant surprise and a fun ride. Zion, Bryce and of course, the Grand Canyon are incredible scenic rides. Heck, everything out that way is incredible!
I will be riding them again this year along with Banff and Glacier National Park...my favorite ride in this beautiful country

Glenn Canyon.

#23 ·
After reading thru this everyone seems to have covered the must sees. I’ve been riding to Moab from Chicago since the early 90,s. The Boss “my wife’s” favorite place in America and she’s hit 48 states with me. Here’s another I don’t think mentioned it’s the LaSalle loop. Catch it just south of town there’s a sign for Kens Lake. Follow it up across the top and it will drop you in the middle of Black Bills canyon. Open range so cattle and horses are common so be safe. Any time we roll west across colorado we always drop south off of Rt 128 down thru Black Bills canyon and stop in Moab for a few days. And the ride from Denver to Grand Junction is awesome for an interstate ride. I’ve hit everything mentioned in this thread but no way in hell your doing it in one trip unless you loads of time. Dead Horse canyon and Escalantes staircase is another couple. South out of Moab you can catch a road not sure the route # into Naturita and into Gateway colorado excellent canyons. Well good luck with the trip if you do make it stay safe plenty to see

Attachments

#26 ·
Everyone that’s mentioned the ride on 128 is spot on. Both the ride in from I-70 (get off at the Cisco exit make a left then a right after you come under the highway.) and the ride out from Moab are spectacular, and, while the same roadway, a completely different ride in each direction. If you’re not the religious sort, you will be after that ride!

Once in Moab, Walker Drug can help you with any sort of small items you may need. From groceries to sunscreen as well as a full service pharmacy, they’ll have you covered. There is also a True Value next door for any hardware or tools you may need.
For someplace to eat, the Mexican restaurant next to Walker is great for lunch or dinner. The Moab diner which is right across the street is a great spot for breakfast, but my favorite is the Jailhouse Cafe about 2 blocks north on Main St. An absolute can’t miss is Milt’s. Milt’s Stop & Eat - Burgers, Shakes, Fries & more. Get there by 11:30 or be prepared to wait. Awesome burger, fresh cut fries, real milkshakes and Malts.
In addition to the National Parks, make sure you get out towards The entrance to Hell’s Revenge. You’ll pass “Lions back” along the way and end up near Potato Salad hill. Usually find some group of chuckle heads out there trying to make their way up the side.
The Gonzo Inn was always a nice place to stay but there are a number of newer chain hotels as well to be found in the area. If you want to toss some bigger $$$ there are some amazing ranches out in 128.
Be safe, have a great time!!

#31 ·
Thanks all for the great info here, everyone -- we're reading them all and our plans are still on -- fingers crossed -- for the trip, at the end of May, hoping this quarantine stuff is pretty much over with. We'll see....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.