Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Is the New Style Chieftain Too Harleyish?

• Yes

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 51.1%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Indians. A Chieftain and a Chief Classic. I like the rounded hard bags better than the Harley style that Indian is using now. The fairing was okay, but at least it was unique. I don't think Indian should be cloning the looks of HD. If I wanted a HD I would have bought one. I wonder why Indian made this decision?

·
Rider
1,073 Posts
Indian offers the Chieftain Classic if riders want the valanced fenders and more traditional fairing, I don't care for the trimmed fender or redesigned fairing, but some riders do....nice to have choices

(you started 2 threads on the exact same subject?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad it was worn out ages ago. Im new to these communities. Was the consensus that people preferred the new or older style?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Indian offers the Chieftain Classic if riders want the valanced fenders and more traditional fairing, I don't care for the trimmed fender or redesigned fairing, but some riders do....nice to have choices

(you started 2 threads on the exact same subject?)
I like the idea of the fender choices. I'm just not a fan of the Harley style side bags. The front fairing is very Harley but looks good. I would have preferred something different but I'm not in charge of anything. I can just state what I like.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
I like the idea of the fender choices. I'm just not a fan of the Harley style side bags. The front fairing is very Harley but looks good. I would have preferred something different but I'm not in charge of anything. I can just state what I like.
I agree with you the new Chieftain looks like a Harley wanna be. There are some Harley people that liked it and went to Indian because of it. To me I like the classic Indian lines with the big swooping fenders. I had doubts about the new Challenger being too much like a Road Glide but I was surprised that it had a unique look to it. I believe they could do some improvements on the original Indian fairing but just don't make it look like a Harley. I like something that stands out in the crowd, my RM does just that. Dean

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I like your picture -- Go Pats!

Don't get discouraged if you post something that has been "beat to death". I've done the same thing.
I left New England and moved to East TN in 2017.
Bought a 2015 Chieftain here. I have mixed feelings on style.

I love the shape of the original design, but could use less Art Deco Chrome. I hate the new logo on the tanks and the new bags.
I like the new front fender and wheels alot.

Welcome to the tribe, btw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To sell bikes? ?‍♂
Thank you Captain Obvious. I guess I was more curious about the research results that lead to changing the design of the bike so much that you're making it a Harley with an Indian engine. I'm all about options, such as the fender options and other accessories. I'm just not sold on the drastic change in design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like your picture -- Go Pats!

Don't get discouraged if you post something that has been "beat to death". I've done the same thing.
I left New England and moved to East TN in 2017.
Bought a 2015 Chieftain here. I have mixed feelings on style.

I love the shape of the original design, but could use less Art Deco Chrome. I hate the new logo on the tanks and the new bags.
I like the new front fender and wheels alot.

Welcome to the tribe, btw.
I like the fender and wheel options as well. I'm not a big fan of the art decor chrome on the older fairings. I'm getting the Indian Red headlight bezel. I think it will look better than the chrome.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I like the fender and wheel options as well. I'm not a big fan of the art decor chrome on the older fairings. I'm getting the Indian Red headlight bezel. I think it will look better than the chrome.
Haha....I don't think so....
The Headlight bezel has been discontinued :(

I have been on a waiting list for over a year and even got an email promising it to me in January....

Then, they discontinued it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
Haha....I don't think so....
The Headlight bezel has been discontinued :(

I have been on a waiting list for over a year and even got an email promising it to me in January....

Then, they discontinued it.
Now that is scary! That kinda tells you where Indian is heading. If it is becoming harder to get parts for the original fairings the they plan on moving to either a newer fairing or the one that is used on the new Chieftains. I have to agree that the color matched headlight bezel looks better in my opinion. To bad Indian is discontinuing them. Dean

1760897.jpg

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I'm glad it was worn out ages ago. Im new to these communities. Was the consensus that people preferred the new or older style?
Welcome to the site. As you are already aware, semi thick skin helps here LOL.

Answers/opinions were/are all over the place. Me.... I'm not a fan of fairings. Last fairing bike I had was many moons ago, a '78 Harley, I removed the fairing soon after the purchase. My current bikes are a '12 Road King and '15 Vintage. The Harley bags look good on the Road King and the leather bags look good on the Vintage. If I had hard bags on an Indian (Springfield) I would prefer the rounded types. Indians with the leather or rounded bags along with the sweeping styled fenders set it apart from the cookie cutter baggers. Just my opinion....

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Lol, what was the common answer?
Unsure if there is statistics to quote, however it was a pretty good mix of feelings/opinions. There are many who hate the valanced fenders, there are many who love them. I think the rounded bags look better and fit the bike design better, the square bags on the round fender just don't look right, JMO. I'm not a fairing guy, so I really don't like either. So, as Indian's marketing stated, "There is a choice".

·
Rider
395 Posts
Thank you Captain Obvious. I guess I was more curious about the research results that lead to changing the design of the bike so much that you're making it a Harley with an Indian engine. I'm all about options, such as the fender options and other accessories. I'm just not sold on the drastic change in design.
(Overheard in a board meeting related to Indian research on the design change)
Leader: "Hey, will we sell more bikes if they look like Harleys?"
(2 seconds of silence)
Group sort-of hollers out ..... "Yes"
Leader: "OK, let's do it then"
(.....not really kidding).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts