Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the new style stage 1 exhaust with the classic style saddle bags? Since the new pipes are more oval than round I was wondering how they looked?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
I haven't heard them yet but it's been reported that they're pretty lame sound-wise.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anyone on the forum who has had these installed? I’m deciding to get either these or the other Stage 1 exhaust Indian sells.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
I have been reading this forum daily and it's been said here. I personally had the original style Stage One fishtails on a 2015 Chieftain and those sounded pretty nice. The newer oval style is said to be lame sounding noise-wise but I've never heard them in person.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been reading this forum daily and it's been said here. I personally had the original style Stage One fishtails on a 2015 Chieftain and those sounded pretty nice. The newer oval style is said to be lame sounding noise-wise but I've never heard them in person.
Thank you reinie for responding.

The reason I’m curious about them is that I’m probably part of the minority who prefers the sound of the stock pipes. I’m having an issue with my bike with engine vibration and have been told by more than one member that putting Stage 1 intake and exhaust with a custom tune can be the first step in curing the vibration issue or improving it. But I’m someone who isn’t purposely trying to make his bike louder. I’m trying to address an issue but would prefer keeping the bike’s exhaust sound as close to stock as possible. So that’s why I was asking what lame sounding pipes actually meant.

Hopefully someone will read this thread and respond back to me.

Besides the sound I’m curious how they would look on a bike with the classic styled saddle bags. The cutout/contour under the classic bags are more round than the new styled saddle bags and I was wondering if the new styled more oval exhaust would look out of place under the classic bags.

Maybe someone might have a picture with this configuration?

Anyway, thanks again for responding.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
then you would like them... they are louder than stock.. about the same as the original... however if you like the sound of stock you can get a tune that will greatly help the bike over the stock tune from Fuelmoto

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
then you would like them... they are louder than stock.. about the same as the original... however if you like the sound of stock you can get a tune that will greatly help the bike over the stock tune from Fuelmoto
To be honest, I prefer to keep it stock, but Craigb who does tunes for the PV3 recommended I go Stage 1 and then go custom tunes from there to try and fix the vibration I’m experiencing at around 3000 RPM. I’m trying to keep the sound as close to stock as possible.

Earlier when it was said these new stage 1 pipes sounded lame I just wanted to make sure that it didn’t in some way sound worse than stock.

Now if I could find an air cleaner that I like as much as the stock air cleaner. Currently I have a reusable K & N filter in it. I like that it’s enclosed to keep the valve train sound down and I like that it’s designed to get air from an opening right behind the forks. The oval stage 1 is enclosed but it’s not as rounded on the edges as stock so it presses on my leg when I have my legs extended on the floorboard,

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lloydz has a performance intake that uses the stock cover.. Lloydz.com
Their site says you need a fuel controller with the new air cleaner cover. Does that mean that a regular Stage 1 flash from Indian won’t work? If so do you know how to get it tuned?

The site says you need a Power Commander but I prefer a new flash rather than adding more electronics on the bike.

·
Silver member
4,644 Posts
Their site says you need a fuel controller with the new air cleaner cover. Does that mean that a regular Stage 1 flash from Indian won’t work? If so do you know how to get it tuned?

The site says you need a Power Commander but I prefer a new flash rather than adding more electronics on the bike.

The factory stock tune would be fine with that A/C, but certainly the factory Stage 1 calibration as well as the PV3 and stage 1 tune would be just fine.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The factory stock tune would be fine with that A/C, but certainly the factory Stage 1 calibration as well as the PV3 and stage 1 tune would be just fine.
CraigB, please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it true that even if you put a less restrictive air cleaner on a bike it’s OK since the bike isn’t going to draw more air than it needs, it’s just that the extra air is there if it can use it. Or am I wrong?

·
Silver member
4,644 Posts
CraigB, please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it true that even if you put a less restrictive air cleaner on a bike it’s OK since the bike isn’t going to draw more air than it needs, it’s just that the extra air is there if it can use it. Or am I wrong?

You are correct. The engine is just an air pump and depending on it volumetric efficient at any given load/RPM, that sets the fuel requirement. Just cause it is bigger, does not mean the engine is flowing more.

Our ECU will correct the idle through cruise of our bikes since it is in closed-loop operation. What this means is the ECU will do its best to maintain a 14.7:1 AFR from 800 RPM to 3.75k and up to 60% load. This covers 95% of one's normal operating range. So any mis-match of VE table versus actual air flow the ECU will compensate with fuel trims (either positive or negative fuel corrections). Now outside of this range the ECU goes into open-loop, which means it relys solely on the accuracy of the VE table. Fortunately for us, Polaris set the Target AFR for the ECU to hit at really rich numbers...so in most cases you will be rich when really getting on to the bike.

It is when you go with a major change (cams, head work, BBK, etc) that you must change the factory stock calibration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To be honest, I prefer to keep it stock, but Craigb who does tunes for the PV3 recommended I go Stage 1 and then go custom tunes from there to try and fix the vibration I’m experiencing at around 3000 RPM. I’m trying to keep the sound as close to stock as possible.

Earlier when it was said these new stage 1 pipes sounded lame I just wanted to make sure that it didn’t in some way sound worse than stock.

Now if I could find an air cleaner that I like as much as the stock air cleaner. Currently I have a reusable K & N filter in it. I like that it’s enclosed to keep the valve train sound down and I like that it’s designed to get air from an opening right behind the forks. The oval stage 1 is enclosed but it’s not as rounded on the edges as stock so it presses on my leg when I have my legs extended on the floorboard,

I did a couple things to the stock bedpan air cleaner that I feel allowed it to take in more air. Probably the most important was to remove the rubber ductwork from the through frame airflow system going into the back plate of the cleaner.Then I added a K&N filter element and lastly cut some nearly invisible slots in the bottom of the air cleaner cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a couple things to the stock bedpan air cleaner that I feel allowed it to take in more air. Probably the most important was to remove the rubber ductwork from the through frame airflow system going into the back plate of the cleaner.Then I added a K&N filter element and lastly cut some nearly invisible slots in the bottom of the air cleaner cover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts