Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made this seat for myself. It is cowhide with an alligator impression. I wanted it to be low and
IMG_0683.jpeg
IMG_0682.jpeg
make the Springfield look better. I need to take the windshield off. I am using a lever type spring. You can barely see it on the side. And I still need to design a cover for the electronics. I plan to ride some to check the comfort. I think it is going to be very good. I used a very expensive silicon foam that is very firm. I almost feels like the gel pads. I made the first one in tan but I am planning on making a full set of leathers for the bike in a turquoise with some Indian jewelry on the edges of the seat. Might be too much but I like to experiment. Not sure if I will offer this for sale or not. It is a lot of work so the price would not be cheap. Anyway feedback is appreciated (except for the guy that thinks it is the ugliest thing he has ever seen on the planet).

·
Registered
393 Posts
For some reason I cannot see the images

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to take the bike outside and get a decent photo but it rains here in SE Georgia as if Noah lived down the street. But here is a photo that shows it off a little better.
IMG_0691.jpeg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally took it out for a ride. It is nice but felt a little too low and slanted. Then it occurred to me I can easily shim the springs and change the angle. What a great designer I accidentally am. So here is a photo by the road and a close up of the shim. It might be too much but I can obviously use a shorter one. I am now thinking of adding a matching leather bib as part of the electronics cover and extend it back over the fender. Why not?
IMG_0693.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the look of the Springfield. But now I see that I have to remove the saddle bags and roll a pack of cigs up my white t-shirt sleeve.

·
Rider
538 Posts
Looks good - you’re headed in the right direction I would consider a way to offer different seat positions fore and aft where the seat distance from the fuel tank could be customized by the the rider. Not a slide mechanism but a bolted plate to the seat. No one offers that.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually it can go forward or back. I just need to add a couple more screw inserts while building it. I think that is well worth it. I made this one to fit me. My Corbin was too far back and I was reaching for the handle bars a little. If the seat is very adjustable then it is a safer purchase for customers. Few seats offer adjustability. If I charge $8000 for this seat it should be the best.

·
Silver member
3,810 Posts
Cool... how much lower does it have you sitting compared to the OEM?

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Without the spacers I just put in it is about 1/2" - 3/4" lower than the OEM seat. But it is a little wider at the top of the thighs so if your legs are short you can flat foot a little easier especially if you slide forward. It is wider because there is more butt real estate which seems to be more comfortable.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bike is pretty fast and serious acceleration throws you back. So I think adding a back rest will also help. I included some threaded inserts on the back for this purpose. I will make a back rest and try it. I want it to be adjustable. Everyone has a slightly different position that is comfortable. I am working on ideas for this. It may be a simple as adding spacers to the bolts that hold the backrest.

I am also thinking about making a two bar backrest. Use it with one horizontal bar if you are getting on and off a lot. Use it with two bars (taller) for long cruising. What do you guys think of this idea? I have not seen it before.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just took it for a ride with the 3/4" spacers. I have a 30" inseam. I could still flatfoot. It looks like it could go up another inch and still easily flatfoot. Anyway with the seat angle changed It felt great. I am very critical of many designs I see in every area. I keep it to myself but it seems to me most things can be made better. I am even more critical of stuff I design. I knew this seat would look good but I was not positive about the comfort. Now I am thrilled. Going from a stock seat to a Corbin is a big step up. But they still feel like you are riding the bike. With this springer and the firm foam it feels like the bike is attached to my butt. The 111 suspension and the springs in the seat offer plenty of comfort on bumps. But this bike feels completely different. It is like it is part of me. The 900 pounds feels like 100. Sorry to rant with joy. I did not expect this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
After I mount the passenger half of my ultimate seat I will by the Springer seat for me

·
Vendor / bronze
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way, I can also gets snake skin pattern leather also. Since I dye it myself, I can offer a range of colors. I mentioned earlier I was going to make a turquoise one. Nobody responded. I guess I am more weird than I thought. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts