Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I asked this question before but didn't get a very good answer, either on here or from my mechanic friends. I'll be more specific with my details and maybe that will help. At 100 K, my 2014 Vintagw is riding a little rougher, I think. I especially notice it with a passenger. It is not bottoming out and it is not bouncing like a worn out shock would do.Thr ride just seems to be stiffer. You can really feel the small potholes, (and my wife has a bad hip so that's a problem). I have a like new/used Indian shock I can replace it with but I don't want to go through that work it it isn't going to male any difference. Any thoughts? Is the shock worn ot in a way that I don't understand? Worn out oil in the shock?

·
Bronze member
1,553 Posts
When was the last time you had the oil replaced on the forks?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
What is the adjustment like on the shock adjuster ring? A rider on our Aussie forum found that his Vintage shock spring itself started to weaken and bottom out (damping seemed normal) and got to the point where adjusting more preload did nothing. He swapped out for an air shock I think.

·
Rider
1,177 Posts
Might sound silly but if it Your feeling more of the potholes but it doesn’t feel like a worn shock, have you checked the tires lately?

·
Rider
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the front forks done not that long ago and the tires are ok. It doesn't feel to me like it is bottoming out but that is possible I guess.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One bit of advice, don't tell your Wife your replacing the rear shock because the bike rides like crap only when she's riding with you......unless you and the dog have a good relationship.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts