Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the Indian bobber seat, now had a chance to ride it around town. Quick overview:

Fit & Finish: the seat is top notch, as is the bracket. The battery cover is flimsy plastic which will be replaced over the winter with aluminum. Low quality crappy Chinese fasteners will be replaced ASAP.

Install: not bad. Probably 15 minutes with simple tools. Directions pretty good.

Posture: up about two inches, forward about two inches. Much more aggressive stance, for me far more natural. No longer feels like a cruiser, almost sport-bike with weight above tank and much more over the bars. It's not quite mid-control, but getting there.

Comfort: the seat itself is far more comfortable than stock, although there is barely any cushioning. I plan to recover it and replace the foam with something more comfortable over the winter. The sub-par suspension all of a sudden becomes more pronounced, let's go already, Ohlins... My guess is once the suspension is fixed the bike with this seat will provide a far superior ride.

Aesthetics: subjective, I love it. I love the negative space under the seat and how thin it is and how it flows from the tank. Nostalgic and modern at the same time. I think it will look even better with dark brown leather. I am also going to buy some narrower seat pans and see if I can have another design on it. Tractor is nice, but I want to experiment with other styles.

Finally, there are two unused threaded holes in the bracket, must be for solo handrail which will make it that much nicer. In summary, I like it very much, glad I waited. Polaris, more products like this, but forgot plastic and upgrade bolts.

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Comfort: the seat itself is far more comfortable than stock, although there is barely any cushioning. I plan to recover it and replace the foam with something more comfortable over the winter. The sub-par suspension all of a sudden becomes more pronounced, let's go already, Ohlins... My guess is once the suspension is fixed the bike with this seat will provide a far superior ride.
The picture with the rear view makes the seat look wider than the OEM seat... is it wider?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
The picture with the rear view makes the seat look wider than the OEM seat... is it wider?
Look down.
That right there is very thin ice that you've crawled out on.
WIDE and REAR VIEW do not go in the same sentence when you ......well, never mind.
I was trying to think of a way to throw ya a rope....

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahem. Size 4 butt.

I'll take some picture of the two seats on top of each other. I think they are approximately the same width, but that's about all they have in common.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
14.75 vs 12.5. The extra width is great.
This is what I wanted to compare with my springer seat that I have.
When I sit on my springer seat on the Phantom the seat angles downward supported by the springs.
With the Scout seat the angle that it holds you and will not change.
I was wanting also to compare the width of the Scout with the aftermarket seat that I have to give myself a mind image of how it would work on the scout.
Of course my dealer has none for me to look at.
Thanks Gort!

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Thanks for the review Meggie. I really like that it is a bit more aggressive riding posture. How long (time) have you spent on it at once, and did your back bother you at all?

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the review Meggie. I really like that it is a bit more aggressive riding posture. How long (time) have you spent on it at once, and did your back bother you at all?
Maybe 90 minutes, mostly city riding, a little highway. No back issue. The seat is contoured but it's really easy to move around, which for me is key. Btw, I never had issues with the stock seat, I actually think they did a good job with it.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About 60 miles street riding around Dallas today. With this seat, the bike is much more like my Ducati than the Vintage. Highly recommended for spirited riding. Now suspension...

image.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
How do you like the seat after a few months? I've never ridden with one on, but it looks thin and not as cushy as a stock. Is it like sitting on plywood?

Curious before I spend the money on an Indian one and not an aftermarket one like MRC or the like.

Thanks

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you like the seat after a few months? I've never ridden with one on, but it looks thin and not as cushy as a stock. Is it like sitting on plywood?

Curious before I spend the money on an Indian one and not an aftermarket one like MRC or the like.

Thanks
I love it, but opinions may vary. I ride the Scout like a sport-bike, not a cruiser, so not look for a cushy ride (with our suspension, impossible anyway). It changes the seating position, getting you higher and more forward, almost making it a mid-controlled bike. The seat also allows you to move around, which is more important to me than how much foam you have on it for comfort.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did you replace the battery cover? Would like to see how that looks and the fasteners you were replacing as well.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you replace the battery cover? Would like to see how that looks and the fasteners you were replacing as well.
Me? The new seat came with cover (plastic) which does a good job. You can probably find instructions and illustrations on the Indian site for this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Me? The new seat came with cover (plastic) which does a good job. You can probably find instructions and illustrations on the Indian site for this.
In your review, in original post you said the battery cover was flimsy plastic, but I guess you decided otherwise. Good to know. Thanks and sorry for confusion.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In your review, in original post you said the battery cover was flimsy plastic, but I guess you decided otherwise. Good to know. Thanks and sorry for confusion.
It is still flimsy, but once installed, it doesn't affect anything and I haven't had to go into the battery for any reason.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts