Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Scout was delivered curb side on Saturday, did my own little inspection prior to riding and found a wiring plug loose, dangling just in front of rear tire. Its an expose connector with no protection and will get blasted by dirt coming off rear tire. Any one know what it is for or should it have a cap?
IMG_6230 (6).jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tell your dealership immediately. Nothing should be dangling down there! If this is a new bike it's supposed to have had some form of PDI....

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
While riding my wife's bike on some bumpy back roads, I got a "caution" light on the speedo face.
It turned out to be that plug under the tail light had become unplugged and was being rubbed by the tire!
Plugging it together and a bit of creative zip tieing cured the issue.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It looks like it's the main wire cable that plugs into your rear taillight assembly and also powers your turn signals. It need to be plugged back into the connector that should be fastened into place behind your license plate/taillight inside the rear fender. There also should be another clip higher up on the inside of the fender towards the top of the wheelwell where the cable can clip into.

I had some issues with my wiring (paint shop didn't re-install it correctly) and I ended up having to do it all over myself with a new tail light assembly and wire splicing. As others said I suggest adding some zip ties and you can put two on down by the main assembly as you will see slots in the corners of the metal bracket and then one more securing the main wire cable to that clip just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like it's the main wire cable that plugs into your rear taillight assembly and also powers your turn signals. It need to be plugged back into the connector that should be fastened into place behind your license plate/taillight inside the rear fender. There also should be another clip higher up on the inside of the fender towards the top of the wheelwell where the cable can clip into.

I had some issues with my wiring (paint shop didn't re-install it correctly) and I ended up having to do it all over myself with a new tail light assembly and wire splicing. As others said I suggest adding some zip ties and you can put two on down by the main assembly as you will see slots in the corners of the metal bracket and then one more securing the main wire cable to that clip just in case.
I checked that, there is no other wiring to connect to this plug/harness. Licence plate light and turn signal/ brake lights all work properly. ( In Canada so I have rear center mount licence plate assembly, not side mount). Might be for an accessory of some kind. Will contact dealer tomorrow, when they open. Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup that is the same plug, Mine is just higher up and has a red end. I will tape it up so its not so exposed. Would have been nice if it came with a cap or cover of some sort. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yup that is the same plug, Mine is just higher up and has a red end. I will tape it up so its not so exposed. Would have been nice if it came with a cap or cover of some sort. Thanks for all the help.
That one has nothing to do with brake/tail lights.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Don’t think you mentioned what year Scout.

I know there’s an ABS device in that area somewhere.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Don’t think you mentioned what year Scout.

I know there’s an ABS device in that area somewhere.
Mine is ABS, 2018. Really not sure what that plug is for. The wiring diagram shows a plug like that and says USB but my bike dosen't have a USB outlet, except for the one I wired in.

Everything works fine on my bike otherwise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is ABS, 2018. Really not sure what that plug is for. The wiring diagram shows a plug like that and says USB but my bike dosen't have a USB outlet, except for the one I wired in.

Everything works fine on my bike otherwise.
Bike is 2020

1 - 13 of 13 Posts