Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering putting a deposit on the scout but was curious on the accessories from Indian as well. I definitely want the leather storage and the secondary seat for my gal to sit on. I don't think I'll do more then 5 hours at any given stretch.

On the site it has a fully configured Scout with windshield , saddles, etc etc. Thoughts?

I'm 6 ft 250 brick layer... Not fat just juicy and strong as an od :)

The location that sells them in Ontario is not negotiating at all such is odd .

Should I buy the 5 year drive train warrant for an extra 1000.00 ?

Still on the fence with this

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Do your research, saddle bags and the windshield maybe cheaper after market. You may want a tall shield. I ride a Vintage so I got the 5 year warranty with my bike so I can't help you there.
Welcome to the site, you will find a lot of useful information here & maybe some new friends

·
Registered
370 Posts
You'll probably be okay on the bike, but make sure you get your gal to sit on one before you decide. I took mine to a motorcycle show in Long Beach and the Indian booth there had a fully decked out Scout with bags and the back seat and backrest, etc., and she sat on it and laughed. She said the back seat was small and uncomfortable and there was no way she was going to ride on that thing for any extended length of time. That's why we ended up getting a Vintage instead of a Scout. For reference, my wife is about 5'5", 130 lbs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anybody here have any experience with the ButtyBuddy seat? Looks like it might be the answer to the small pillion problem without having to do permanent alterations, but I haven't seen one in any local retail shops so curious if they live up to their advertising.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she's 129 lb, 5'10' so yeah it's a concern. Scouts in my price range and reminds me of my Dads first bike so there's a nostalgia in owning one for the first time...bummer about the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Dude
May be a win win, she may hate it then the bike is all you. I have been married 15 years this time, but my wife has only ridden one of my bikes for about 100 miles total. She supports my ridding, paid 10000 done on my Vintage as a gift to me, but has no desire to get on it. It is my only true vice, all about me!
Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
All kidding a side take Bryan's advice and give her a ride on the bike. Then ride the Vintage she will love you for it. Lay a few more bricks, do your research, and you may find a deal. Found my 2014 Vintage for 17400, it was 600 miles away, but worth the 600$ to ship to my front door.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I know that it all comes down to "the look" sometimes, and if you're sold on the Scout look over the Chief look, then go for it. But, when I went to the Indian website, and put all the accessories on the Scout I wanted, it came out to over $15K. My wife looked at that page and said "Isn't the Vintage only like $5K more MSRP, and it comes with all that stuff already, and is bigger and more comfortable?" I couldn't really argue with that. :)

When you see MSRP of $10K for the Scout and $20K for the Vintage you think there's this huge gap. But, put all the accessories you need on the Scout for 2-up riding plus luggage and travel stuff, and you're getting pretty close to the cost of a Vintage that already has all that stuff.

But, again, it's your ride, get what you want. If you prefer the look of the Scout, then that's your bike.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I know that it all comes down to "the look" sometimes, and if you're sold on the Scout look over the Chief look, then go for it. But, when I went to the Indian website, and put all the accessories on the Scout I wanted, it came out to over $15K. My wife looked at that page and said "Isn't the Vintage only like $5K more MSRP, and it comes with all that stuff already, and is bigger and more comfortable?" I couldn't really argue with that. :)

When you see MSRP of $10K for the Scout and $20K for the Vintage you think there's this huge gap. But, put all the accessories you need on the Scout for 2-up riding plus luggage and travel stuff, and you're getting pretty close to the cost of a Vintage that already has all that stuff.

But, again, it's your ride, get what you want. If you prefer the look of the Scout, then that's your bike.
You are correct. This is where you get caught up in what you want. Take the Scout and try to make it a Vintage and that costs. Take the Scout as a one-up minimalistic ride and it foots the bill.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very true, im definitely getting the Scout since the look does appeal to me . I'll look at some after market alternatives for a few items.

·
Registered
582 Posts
From what I've read, the fuel tank on the Scout is good for a little more than 100 miles. It's an around-town bike, not a real cruiser. I've also read some reviews that said the rear shocks tend to bottom out on hard bumps with us hefty guys onboard. If you're riding two-up, it sounds like you'll need aftermarket shocks to keep it bearable.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
You have been given some pretty good advice here Mark .. Only thing might be working in your favor if truly want the Scout If you order now would probably be late April or May before you get it and think the Aftermarket will have kicked in a little better .. I rode mine home 100 Miles yesterday I am 5'8" and 175 lbs and Solo with My Weight rides pretty nice although stopped once at 50 Miles to give the bike and my Butt a Rest .. My wife is no lightweight but lets just close to my weight not sure how this will work out .. But willing to give a try for short local runs which I do quite often and hopefully save some miles on my Victory Cross Country for true traveling ..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Excellent advice and really appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Bike should arrive in Feb but given the preorders it looks more like April. Perfect for after the winter hibernation.

I have a snap shot of the shock adjustments, hopefully this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm still waiting on orderin400-g pending a few things happening but on the delivery I would think if Polaris is pumping out 500 a month (lets assume they started the pre-orders 2 months ago in ramping up) I'd expect they should be caught up on all pre-orders by mid Jan (saying they are late by 2-3 weeks as we've seen). They will burn through the large bulk of their orders. I would assume orders have slowed to a level that they should be able to produce dealer stock and start those shipping out by late Jan or early Feb....they need these in stores to get to the typical model for sales. I just dont see a delay into April.

They should be on early ramp up procedures now. Make sure the quality is there or risk a recall which nobody wants. I would expect them getting over the volume hump soon and start to have extra capacity to fulfill post pre-prod orders in a month. Thats just my opinion but I dont think the delay of today translates into a long delay for the later orders as demand will be softer given winter and the early adopters already ordered.

That said i'm really hoping if things happen for me i'll be able to convince the house CEO to put my order in Feb time frame and the backlog will be drained down pretty low by then so dealers should get inventory early in the year. I just dont know if its Red or Silver at this point....grrr....I should have looked them over better at the demo day....of course I ended up on the black which i really did like, but we have a black triumph bonneville now so I want something different. Love the red's class for the Indian brand but the silver looks very classy esp with the tan seat too (and is my wife's favorite....yes she drove that one).

Congrats on putting the order in though...i hope to soon!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a tough decision, my biggest resistance in buying the bike was not my size 6' 250'lb but more that it doesn't have an ABS braking system. Odd they wouldn't have this available in Canada but readily available in Europe as a standard feature.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It was a tough decision, my biggest resistance in buying the bike was not my size 6' 250'lb but more that it doesn't have an ABS braking system. Odd they wouldn't have this available in Canada but readily available in Europe as a standard feature.
That and a fork lock. Some things just don't make sense.:confused:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That and a fork lock. Some things just don't make sense.:confused:
I do agree with everything but fork locks, they are not deterrents to a thief, and are defeated in less then five seconds without any tools. I did talk to an Indian rep at the Long Beach Show who indicated that Indian had thought the same thing, so why add it and charge us for it.

I would however suggest looking into a decent disk brake lock/alarm which do have some value, unless of course the front wheel is removed, or the entire bike in lifted up an carted off.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I do agree with everything but fork locks, they are not deterrents to a thief, and are defeated in less then five seconds without any tools. I did talk to an Indian rep at the Long Beach Show who indicated that Indian had thought the same thing, so why add it and charge us for it.

I would however suggest looking into a decent disk brake lock/alarm which do have some value, unless of course the front wheel is removed, or the entire bike in lifted up an carted off.
Just wondering why European bikes have these. Agree fork locks just keep honest people honest. A determined thief will get it. Probably in about 30 seconds. Good insurance is best best.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Just wondering why European bikes have these. Agree fork locks just keep honest people honest. A determined thief will get it. Probably in about 30 seconds. Good insurance is best best.
Let me just throw my wild guess as to why most motorcycles still have inadequate forks locks. Most people do not understand the cost, or what would be required to properly secure a home, apartment, or motor vehicle. They just know that if the door is locked and they cannot open it, it must be secure. The fact is that even the most expensive homes, apartments or vehicles are still fitted with cheapest, or next to the cheapest hardware that manufactures can get away with. These security measures are readily defeated by even the least experienced of amateur knuckle-headed morons. But its sometimes difficult to change how we think of some things, and security is one of them.

Being new to motorcycling I questioned why my KLR, and Aero both had fork locks and the Scout does not, until I (pardon the pun) investigated the subject. It's just easier for a manufacturer to throw a cheap fork lock on their bike than to explain why other bikes provide it, and your Scout does not. If the average rider knows they can't turn the fork, must be no one else can. Once upon a time, long ago in a land far, far away, I investigated hundreds of building and vehicle burglaries. What the owners generally had in common was the false sense of security thinking that if there was a lock installed in the first place it must work; wrong.

My present position is that Indian made the right move by not installing a piece of worthless crap on what is otherwise gorgeous machine. This prompted me to research and purchase a quality disk lock when at times the bike requires it. Different parking circumstances may require added methods of security, but the bottom line as others have stated; insure the ride to cover the loss.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts