Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell all. New member here and new motorcycle. I have a 2021 scout twenty bobber. Since new, it leaks oil from the drain bolt closes to the rear tire. I took it in for the 500 miles and it looks like the added a washer as a “repair”. It still leaks. I asked then about it leaking again and it sounds like I will have to pay for the inspection. Any thoughts/advice are welcome. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hell all. New member here and new motorcycle. I have a 2021 scout twenty bobber. Since new, it leaks oil from the drain bolt closes to the rear tire. I took it in for the 500 miles and it looks like the added a washer as a “repair”. It still leaks. I asked then about it leaking again and it sounds like I will have to pay for the inspection. Any thoughts/advice are welcome. Thank you.
If you are referring to a single, copper washer, it is a crush washer and is supposed to be there. The soft copper crushes as you tighten down the oil plug and closes up the imperfections between the plug and the engine casing. My first thought was that somebody forgot it but it sounds like it is installed. It could have been installed with dirt on it if if got dropped on the floor or something like that. I would take it off and replug the hole (quickly). Examine the washer and if need be, sand it lightly with with120+ grit sand paper, in a random circular motion, on a very flat surface (like granite countertop) to remove any imperfections. Re install it and see if your problem goes away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shouldn’t be repairing a brand new motorcycle. I’ll take it into the Indian dealership. The washer was not there before. After looking at the oil change kit. I see two copper washers. The other plug does not have a copper washer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There is supposed to be a crush washer on each drain bolt. If you don't than that would cause a leak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You shouldn't need to pay for any inspection or repairs on a brand new bike that's leaking oil under warranty - even if it needs to go back in a second time. That's on the dealer for not resolving it the first time.

I had a coolant leak on my 2021 Scout the week it was delivered to me, before I even rode it. Called the dealer and within a couple of days did the 130 mile journey to my garage, to pick the bike up and take it back to the dealership to fix - all under warranty, didn't cost me any $$.

Hoping the dealer is able to resolve this for you, in a straightforward and friendly way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You shouldn't need to pay for any inspection or repairs on a brand new bike that's leaking oil under warranty - even if it needs to go back in a second time. That's on the dealer for not resolving it the first time.

I had a coolant leak on my 2021 Scout the week it was delivered to me, before I even rode it. Called the dealer and within a couple of days did the 130 mile journey to my garage, to pick the bike up and take it back to the dealership to fix - all under warranty, didn't cost me any $$.

Hoping the dealer is able to resolve this for you, in a straightforward and friendly way.
Thanks. I’ll give them a call. I should of done it when I first notice it at 200 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It just occurred to me that it could be a stator plug leak. I cleaned the area up and put a paper towel around the stator plug. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like you have a hell of a dealer :poop: and unfortunately you didn’t get the gold level tech to work on your bike. :cry: Maybe they don’t have one :eek:, but rather the “burger flipping level” of a guy, who can barely tell the difference between a bicycle and a motorcycle o_O:rolleyes::censored:….. good luck, and heads up. The Scouts are too nice to give up that early! :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cleaned up the area. I read in a different thread to toss baby powder down there. I don’t have any at the moment. What else can I use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you have a hell of a dealer :poop: and unfortunately you didn’t get the gold level tech to work on your bike. :cry: Maybe they don’t have one :eek:, but rather the “burger flipping level” of a guy, who can barely tell the difference between a bicycle and a motorcycle o_O:rolleyes::censored:….. good luck, and heads up. The Scouts are too nice to give up that early! :cool:
Yeah. It’s a small Indian motorcycle dealer. If they can’t fix it or try to charge me. I’ll try the bigger Indian dealership a couple of cities over. About an hour away. Im going to try to see where the oil is leaking from first before I give them a call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You shouldn’t have to pay a dime. Still under warranty. Call Indian and tell them they want to charge you for that and if that doesn’t work contact your BBB.org and submit a complaint. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You shouldn’t have to pay a dime. Still under warranty. Call Indian and tell them they want to charge you for that and if that doesn’t work contact your BBB.org and submit a complaint. Good luck
Yeah I’ll give them a call and see what’s up. When I went there for the 500 mile oil change. It sounds like they want to bill me for diagnostic when I told them it leaks oil.

·
Rider
599 Posts
They can't bill you for crap, it's under warranty. Indian corporate is your best option or a different dealer. You are NOT required to go to the same dealer you bought the bike from, it's warrantied by Indian Motorcycle not the dealership.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Umm no. If it's brand new and you're the original owner, it's under warranty. You DONT HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING. If they insist, file a complaint with the FTC. The bike is not supposed to leak oil, you paid for the service, and its wrong. They also are regulated by the govt since they offer mechanical work, and the parts and service were supplied by them so they are bound by law to warrant the work and parts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
They can't bill you for crap, it's under warranty. Indian corporate is your best option or a different dealer. You are NOT required to go to the same dealer you bought the bike from, it's warrantied by Indian Motorcycle not the dealership.
The work they performed is mandated by law to be warranted by the dealer. If a certified mechanic performs work, they have to warrant it. All dealerships (that sell new vehicles) have to warrant their work. Now, the manufacturer is ALSO responsible because it was obviously leaking before service, and is obviously a manufacturing defect if the dealer service could not fix it. It baffles me that they are trying to charge a customer for this. It is unethical. They should be pushing a claim through polaris to replace the defective engine parts.

Reactions: Gaebril22

·
Registered
129 Posts
I cleaned up the area. I read in a different thread to toss baby powder down there. I don’t have any at the moment. What else can I use?
DO NOT PUT BABY POWDER OR ANYTHING ELSE BUT OIL IN YOU ENGINE!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts