Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just completed a modification to the Scout kickstand. It moves the kickstand forward by 1.70 inches (or 43mm) as measured at the tip of the kickstand through its arc. The kickstand angle stock is at about 96 degrees (just slightly forward of center by 6 degrees). With my modification, the kickstand angle is now about 108 degrees forward which is very similar to the Indian Chief and Chieftain models.

There was no ideal way of measuring the kickstand angle while installed (too much stuff in the way), so I referenced a flat edge behind the kickstand which appeared to be inline with the motorcycle's axis (front to rear) and had to 'eyeball' the kickstand and my pointer until they appeared parallel, and then I could read the protractor. Because of this, the angles are all 'eyeball estimates' using a machinist's protractor.

Pictures below illustrate the simple modification. Where indicated, remove approximately 3mm (or 1/8 inch) of material from the kickstand using a narrow flat file. I recommend against using any sort of rotary tool as this is a simple planing action that needs to keep the surface very flat. A simple hand file will suffice. I attempted to keep the filing / planing action parallel to the original surface. As this was the first attempt that I know of modifying the kickstand itself, I trimmed 1mm at a time, and kept fitting until I found a desired angle. As such, the 3mm recommendation is from three 1mm stacked measurements. Some variation might be present. Measuring 1mm is difficult, and stacking 3 difficult measurements might yield a different final measurement (so don't get mad if the material removed was really 2.5mm, or up to 3.5mm).

I hope this helps someone.

TheDude

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and here's a quick tip for removing the kickstand spring without wrecking something: use washers or pennies.

If you have the kickstand extended so the spring is taught, you can wedge washers in between the coils to extend the overall length of the spring. It might help to use a flat-head screwdriver as a pry that can be twisted to increase the distance between 2 adjacent coils so a washer can be inserted. I think I had 3 washers and 3 or 4 pennies. I folded the kickstand UP to release some of the tension on the spring, and I was able to easily pull it off the post on the bottom of the motorcycle.

Just make sure you insert the washers so that they won't interfere with the movement of the kickstand so it can be fully retracted, and the spring can be at its most relaxed position.

TheDude

FullSizeRender 5.jpg
FullSizeRender 6.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dude, nice trick with the springs. I've wrestled with many tough springs over the years and always dreaded reinstallation.
The fear is gone!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some more pics. I took a few pics with the original kickstand (unmodified) and with the modified kickstand. I placed a piece of cardboard on the ground and secured it with a weight, and drew marks behind the kickstand in each position (original and modified). Without further ado ...

FullSizeRender - modified.jpg
FullSizeRender - original.jpg
FullSizeRender - original.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender 4.jpg FullSizeRender 5.jpg FullSizeRender 6.jpg FullSizeRender 7.jpg FullSizeRender 8.jpg FullSizeRender 9.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The motorcycle sits much more firmly on the ground now. I don't feel like I might accidentally have the kickstand out of position so that it might retract. It sits at a natural lean and does not look modified in its stance; if anything, it looks more normal now. The change in lean angle is very subtle. Pushing the kickstand forward into position it very positive and leaves no question in one's mind if it's forward enough. It's very clear, visually.

TheDude

·
Registered
127 Posts
The motorcycle sits much more firmly on the ground now. I don't feel like I might accidentally have the kickstand out of position so that it might retract. It sits at a natural lean and does not look modified in its stance; if anything, it looks more normal now. The change in lean angle is very subtle. Pushing the kickstand forward into position it very positive and leaves no question in one's mind if it's forward enough. It's very clear, visually.

TheDude
Now tell us about the dual LED headlamp;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now tell us about the dual LED headlamp;)
The Dual LED headlight is off of a 2015 H-D FatBob. It originally came with dual incandescent bulbs, and I purchased the upgrade kit from Harley to make it dual LEDs. I had to remove the H-D plug connector and solder on an H4 connector to fit the Scout's wiring system. I made no modifications to the Scout wiring aside from rerouting wires -- no cuts or splices. One issue is how the H-D uses its high beams. The LED bulbs are setup so that when High Beams are selected, the bulbs will illuminate both the upper and lower LED projectors (in each bulb). It's a Low + High. The Scout's wiring harness uses a Low *or* High. I haven't been bothered enough to rig a solution so that the high + low beams will be illuminated by the LEDs with the "High Beam" selected. A relay could do it; possibly a diode. I'm just not worried.

TheDude

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just completed a modification to the Scout kickstand. It moves the kickstand forward by 1.70 inches (or 43mm) as measured at the tip of the kickstand through its arc. ---
. As this was the first attempt that I know of modifying the kickstand itself, I trimmed 1mm at a time, and kept fitting until I found a desired angle.
Excellent job on the kickstand fix. Actually, this is exactly how I did mine (filing the notch in the stand), but I stopped at about 1.13 inches forward, not knowing what the ideal geometry might be. Even at 1.13, the stand feels much more secure than before.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
TheDude, you are the Dude! Your fix will be my first project come spring (in FOUR long months)!

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Does anyone know if this issue was fixed with the 2016 model and the Scout 60? I hope so. I just can't imagine what the engineers were thinking when they designed the angle support of this kickstand.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know if this issue was fixed with the 2016 model and the Scout 60? I hope so. I just can't imagine what the engineers were thinking when they designed the angle support of this kickstand.
In another discussion somewhere on this message board, I had a discussion with an owner of a 2016 Scout. We compared photos of my First Run 2015 Scout to his 2016 Scout, and the kickstand angles looked identical. Mind you, different photographers, different cameras, and different continents were at play; however, the photos showed either very, very similar angles, or identical angles. I haven't seen a Scout 60 kickstand yet, but the 60 appears to be a stripped-down Scout (full-size). I would -guess- that it's probably the same as the 2016 Scouts.

I can't tell you how pleased I am with the new (modified) kickstand angle! I tried to make a quick measurement of the kickstand angle on my 2014 Indian Chief Classic, and it showed about 108 to 112 degrees (depending on my eyeball aligning the pointer on my protractor parallel with the the kickstand). Now, the Scout has a similar or same angle. It's very steady. No question.

TheDude

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Sweet job Dude. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. When I modifies mine ( search for "kickstand on the Scout". Actually it's at the bottom of this page.) I thought of using the method you used but did not have a file or anything suitable.
Alpal

Reactions: TheDude

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once I put a coat of enamel paint on it with a brush, she looked good as new. Couldn't tell where the original paint ended and my paint began. Once lubed up properly, she worked better and smoother than new!

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
@TheDude - reviving this old thread since folks are asking - you removed 1/8" the total amount of material in inches you filed away on the inside of the kickstand? @YUGADNOH ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did not file away as much material inside the kickstand as TheDude did. If you go to this link you will see the numbers I got and my method of measuring.
Kickstand on the Scout
The final result was based on trial and error until I got what seemed like a substantial improvement without going overboard. My stand works quite well now, even with the addition of the plate you see in the picture that adds to the overall length of the stand. One other modification that also helped the kickstand issue was the upgrade to Ikon fork springs.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
I did not file away as much material inside the kickstand as TheDude did. If you go to this link you will see the numbers I got and my method of measuring.
Kickstand on the Scout
The final result was based on trial and error until I got what seemed like a substantial improvement without going overboard. My stand works quite well now, even with the addition of the plate you see in the picture that adds to the overall length of the stand. One other modification that also helped the kickstand issue was the upgrade to Ikon fork springs.
Thank you !

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@TheDude - reviving this old thread since folks are asking - you removed 1/8" the total amount of material in inches you filed away on the inside of the kickstand? @YUGADNOH ?
Hey Rudy,

Yes, I removed 3mm which is almost exactly 1/8". I removed 1mm at a time, and did a test fit, until three 1mm sections were removed. Any material removal from inside that notch will be beneficial, like @YUGADNOH said. In my case, 3mm of material removal yielded the kickstand moving forward 1.70 inches. It is very close to the geometry of my Indian Chief. It's hard to tell the precise angle, but I used a machinist's protractor, and my eyeball, and it's very very similar. Good luck!

TheDude

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Dude, how you doing ? Good I hope ! Ques. for you...... What kind of jack do you use to get your Scout in Air ? Please let me know. God bless.....

Jayimpalaman

1 - 20 of 25 Posts