Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinds looks like the Air Cleaner has just been removed...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Exactly!!! Except there is no air cleaner there on the stock bike, just ignition key. Which might mean that he figured out a way to re-plumb the airbox and get an external filter...

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Exactly!!! Except there is no air cleaner there on the stock bike, just ignition key. Which might mean that he figured out a way to re-plumb the airbox and get an external filter...
Oh yeah! Haha, I forgot what that side of the bike looked like!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Very interesting. That's also right where my leg sits. Hmmm. I guess I'll kick a leg out for an extra ... 5hp?? :)

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting. That's also right where my leg sits. Hmmm. I guess I'll kick a leg out for an extra ... 5hp?? :)
Dude, the intake is the rate limiting step on this bike. Intake + high flow filter + free flowing exhaust + PCV + tuneup, we're looking at 30+ hp gain IMO. Then cams, rods, etc. 50.

·
2,017 Posts
Evening Folks,
The Scout mill could be a rip-snorter if the government wasn't involved! "For off-road use only"
--- Randall

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is not the end result for air cleaner. All though it could be.

That is the begin set up for a Super Charger inlet box.

Look at the Victory next to it.

·
Founding member
1,744 Posts
Evening Folks,
The Scout mill could be a rip-snorter if the government wasn't involved! "For off-road use only"
--- Randall
That is true. I have read that it is likely that the EPA will use the VW diesel cheating scandal as a means to grasp for more funds and political power. Then they will likely have to justify their continued need for more funds by finding more violations and enforcing more fines. I am a supporter of the idea that we need to clean up our acts, use more renewable energy, not be so wasteful, but at what cost? Will strangling cars and bikes a lot more to eke out marginal gains in cleanliness really make a difference when there are other ways we could clean up that would have a much greater impact. Agriculture and manufacturing have several times the environmental impact each year as transportation, why not try to work on that?

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is not the end result for air cleaner. All though it could be.

That is the begin set up for a Super Charger inlet box.

Look at the Victory next to it.
That would be even more amazing. I don't know superchargers, don't they require gobs of air, and if so, does it come throught that inlet?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Staying in line with intakes, I had a strange thing sprung on me today.
After checking the K&N air filter webpage about a K&N for the scout and of course none are available yet.
I called my local Indian dealer for the availability of a new air filter for my Scout because I thought I was close to being due for one.
The parts man then asked me if I wanted the original OEM filter or the upgraded intake system? I was flabbergasted to say the least! :eek::eek:
Of course they did not have a "upgraded intake system" in stock and I questioned him at length about the validity of a upgraded system for the Scout.
He insisted that one was available.... has anyone heard any news about this upgrade or was he blowing smoke at my posterior?

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Staying in line with intakes, I had a strange thing sprung on me today.
I called my local Indian dealer for the availability of a new air filter for my Scout because I thought I was close to being due for one.
The parts man then asked me if I wanted the original OEM filter or the upgraded intake system? I was flabbergasted to say the least! :eek::eek:
Of course they did not have a "upgraded intake system" in stock and I questioned him at length about the validity of a upgraded system for the Scout.
He insisted that one was available.... has anyone heard any news about this upgrade or was he blowing smoke at my posterior?
As someone, maybe @troop said before, easy enough to make a high flowing filter, but looking under the tank, the issue is the shape of the airbox and the actual inlet - restrictive. Someone, and I would be surprised if it's Indian need to retrofit the plumbing, bringing the intake to the side or the back.

·
Founding member
1,744 Posts
Interesting developments. I recall reading that it would be difficult to design a higher flow air filter for the Scout as it is located under the gas tank and can't expand to the rider's right due to the thermostat nor to the left due to ignition. Difficult, but not impossible. It got me thinking how difficult it would be to relocate one of those, presumably the ignition. I'm sure someone will come up with something with all the interest in a more powerful Scout but it may be more costly than most air flow solutions. Another thought that occurs to me and I hope doesn't happen is that Polaris will make a Victory version of the bike with better air filter location and people lose interest in the Scout as a performace bike as there is already a higher performance application for the engine.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting developments. I recall reading that it would be difficult to design a higher flow air filter for the Scout as it is located under the gas tank and can't expand to the rider's right due to the thermostat nor to the left due to ignition. Difficult, but not impossible. It got me thinking how difficult it would be to relocate one of those, presumably the ignition. I'm sure someone will come up with something with all the interest in a more powerful Scout but it may be more costly than most air flow solutions. Another thought that occurs to me and I hope doesn't happen is that Polaris will make a Victory version of the bike with better air filter location and people lose interest in the Scout as a performace bike as there is already a higher performance application for the engine.
I think that's what Lloydz has done, looking at the picture. Ignition was obviously relocated. Exciting times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts