Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Scout Icon, ABS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider - I purchased a scout that had a windshield already installed. As I ride, I find the windshield right in my line of sight, and I find the reflections distracting. Because of these things, I was thinking of taking it off. Is there a strong reason to keep it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
No! Try out what’s comfortable for you and just do it. If you don’t like the windshield, take it off and see how that feels. If you think you want one, there are several different ones out there. Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I bought my Scout, I went through three windshields and a set of front fork mounted air deflectors.

After experimenting with all of that wasted money, I decided to remove the windshield and never looked back.

The smoothest airflow is achieved without a windshield on a Scout imho...

BTW, if your planning a long road trip, a Marlin Flyscreen would work nicely. Remove it after the trip.

Cheers!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I started out with no windshield for while but disliked riding highway speeds (60+) without one. Then I got a smaller windshield which was great at highway speeds but still a large amount of airflow to my chest which made longer rides more tiring. Finally ended up with the Indian fairing and its been perfect ever since. Really just depends on your riding style and what your looking to get out of your S60.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am a new rider - I purchased a scout that had a windshield already installed. As I ride, I find the windshield right in my line of sight, and I find the reflections distracting. Because of these things, I was thinking of taking it off. Is there a strong reason to keep it?
There are generally two schools of thought on windshields; those that prefer to look through them and those that prefer to look over them. I’m in the latter. Get caught in the rain once with a tall windshield and you’ll understand why.

If you’re a new rider you definitely don’t want to be looking through the windshield. As you mentioned, the reflections are distracting and it will also make the bike feel bigger over all. As a new rider you need to eliminate any distractions and confidence detractors that are under your control so you can focus on increasing your skills and enjoying that bike.

That said, I ride my Chieftain with the windshield all the way down unless I’m on the freeway and then I pop it up all the way for comfort. But I’m an experienced rider. I just purchased a Scout and I’m only putting a fly screen on.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You have already made several strong reasons to take it off. Take it off! I don’t have one.

Keep it, though, you might find later as you gain experience, that you want it on for certain long rides.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,935 Posts
Windshields are ugly and for wimps. With that said I use one and sell them like hotcakes. It usually makes riding much more comfortable. If you only bar hop short rides I would go without. If you want the airflow to be better and lower the top line of the shield, you need a "Freedomshield". It has a recurve at the top. This kicks the air up a few inches and allows you to use a shorter shield. You can buy them here as well as frames for the Scout. It also has a guide to which size to order.
LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/windshields-and-frames-scout.html

·
Registered
373 Posts
Windshields are ugly and for wimps. With that said I use one and sell them like hotcakes. It usually makes riding much more comfortable. If you only bar hop short rides I would go without. If you want the airflow to be better and lower the top line of the shield, you need a "Freedomshield". It has a recurve at the top. This kicks the air up a few inches and allows you to use a shorter shield. You can buy them here as well as frames for the Scout. It also has a guide to which size to order.
LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/windshields-and-frames-scout.html View attachment 629647
They have to be effective but it’s hard for me to imagine riding that at high speeds and I just can’t stomach the look of big windshields on scouts. Im sure some people can’t stand how my scout looks either so I guess it’s good to have options.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 16" windshield installed and it did the job for the most part. I constantly ride on 50-75mph roads for long distances so I need a reprieve from the wind. The windshield was fine but never looked like it belonged on the bike so I got the Scout fairing and now it 1) looks amazing and 2) blocks even more wind than the windshield. Ultimately point 1 is subjective because I think it completes the "mini tourer" look I'm going for but I can't deny that the fairing is more effective than just the windshield. I'm a bit of an up-cycler so I cut my windshield to fit the fairing. I wasn't about to buy one from Indian.

I don't get the whole "I hate looking through a windshield" thing. Why would you be staring just 5-10ft in front of you? The only time I look through my now 14" windshield is when I'm stuck in traffic and I'm reading license plates waiting for people to move. Always look above and beyond your screen. Learn to scan further ahead and anticipate the road/other drivers far in advance. Advice I learned from a Chicago taxi driver in the late 90's, and I've never been in an accident. But hey, to each their own, we all ride differently and have our own comfort zones ¯\(ツ)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts