Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2016 Springfield and use it for designing and testing new products. I have been using a Tan dual Corbin seat for several years now. My wife doesn't want to ride (but she is a killer cook). Anyway, I decided to get rid of the dual seat (it is for sale). I want a solo seat and I thought since I have trouble doing things the normal way.....I should design a springer seat for the 111 bikes. (There may be some available on the market already.) I am making my very low and using a silicon foam rubber. I am also going to make the first one with a turquoise colored alligator pattern leather. Here are some photos of the design process. Feedback wanted. I am making this for me. If it becomes a product, I don't know yet. Note that all of the tan will go also and I will add accents of turquoise. And the front end will come down 1/2". I am experimenting with how much to make the back part turn up. For those of you that don't know I design for Thunder Works at www.IndianAftermarket.com
IMG_0508.jpeg
IMG_0509.jpeg

·
Silver member
4,971 Posts
Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I plan to make the back very vertical so you don't feel like you can slide off the back. One thing I don't like is most mounting packages are flimsy. I want the seat to feel solid. So the front pivot is very wide and solid.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
The problem with Mother Road's seat is not the seat but what they must do to cover up what's under it. To me it looks awful. Especially the vinyl covered option. IMO, if you could come up with a way to cover up the junk under the seat without it looking like a poorly designed cover, you would have something. The problem is with the aluminum frame in this area. Not sure how you could fabricate something that connects to the side panels.
The Scout doesn't have this problem.
MRC.jpg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I played with some designs to have leather hanging down. But it sops looking like the traditional springer seat. I am making a weird shaped plate that covers the ECU and electronics area with 1/8' thick ABS plastic. I still want to see under the seat and see the spring and open air.
Also note that the foam is not pushed down in the photo so it looks less deep than it will be. I also plan to add some a foam wedge on the back to make it more vertical.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
The problem I’ve had with different solo seats spring or not. Is no lumbar in the rear. Great for TT “Tavern to Tavern” riding but get out and stroll and your lower back starts hurting after 1/2 hour runnin.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
The problem I’ve had with different solo seats spring or not. Is no lumbar in the rear. Great for TT “Tavern to Tavern” riding but get out and stroll and your lower back starts hurting after 1/2 hour runnin.
I thought lumbar was for your lower back?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I ride a 2016 Springfield and use it for designing and testing new products. I have been using a Tan dual Corbin seat for several years now. My wife doesn't want to ride (but she is a killer cook). Anyway, I decided to get rid of the dual seat (it is for sale). I want a solo seat and I thought since I have trouble doing things the normal way.....I should design a springer seat for the 111 bikes. (There may be some available on the market already.) I am making my very low and using a silicon foam rubber. I am also going to make the first one with a turquoise colored alligator pattern leather. Here are some photos of the design process. Feedback wanted. I am making this for me. If it becomes a product, I don't know yet. Note that all of the tan will go also and I will add accents of turquoise. And the front end will come down 1/2". I am experimenting with how much to make the back part turn up. For those of you that don't know I design for Thunder Works at www.IndianAftermarket.com View attachment 496260 View attachment 496262

This is the one-off Saddlemen made for the Elnora bike.

Screenshot_20190610-154813_Google.jpg

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Meggie, that is very close to what I am designing. This differences include I want to make the back of the seat come up more and I am using a silicon foam. It is very expensive but I think it is going to be comfortable. The mountings in your photo are very similar to what I am doing. Also, I am going to make some wild colors. The first one for me is going to be alligator turquoise. I also have some brown leather that changes color as you stretch it around the edges.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Meggie, that is very close to what I am designing. This differences include I want to make the back of the seat come up more and I am using a silicon foam. It is very expensive but I think it is going to be comfortable. The mountings in your photo are very similar to what I am doing. Also, I am going to make some wild colors. The first one for me is going to be alligator turquoise. I also have some brown leather that changes color as you stretch it around the edges.
That's a winner Marcus. I contacted Saddleman a few years back but they had zero interest in making me one. Hafley made me a Bates-style using the OEM pan instead.

LRM_EXPORT_120547308610468_20190402_201913956.jpeg

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Marcus - my room/shop is a mess but I'll send or give you some info on a source for some actual gator hide as soon as I clean clean up my mess and find it. The leather looks like a veg tan that you are going to dye. It needs a heavy application of the dye and you will need to give it a finish much like a horse saddle. Inspect the leather as sometimes the press that is used to do the pattern may punch a small hole through and it could make the leather weak down between the raised areas. There's also a supplier in Melbourne, FL who has exotic skins available (Pythons, Shark, Rays, etc). Some of my suggestions may be a little early in the game.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. I originally was going to mold my own pans and staple on leather with good foam. But then it is just another good seat like Corbin or Mustang makes. I make springers for the Scout and it became my favorite seat for comfort and style. So I thought let's see how it looks on the 111 bikes. I am liking it so far but I will have to take my windshield off and roll up a pack off cigs in my t-shirt sleeve to complete the look.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marcus - my room/shop is a mess but I'll send or give you some info on a source for some actual gator hide as soon as I clean clean up my mess and find it. The leather looks like a veg tan that you are going to dye. It needs a heavy application of the dye and you will need to give it a finish much like a horse saddle. Inspect the leather as sometimes the press that is used to do the pattern may punch a small hole through and it could make the leather weak down between the raised areas. There's also a supplier in Melbourne, FL who has exotic skins available (Pythons, Shark, Rays, etc). Some of my suggestions may be a little early in the game.
You are correct. Although, I select my own hides and this one is good. I have been stress testing the dyes and they are looking very good so far. I looked at some real alligator hides but they were already dyed and very expensive. But I would like to get some more sources.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is but without enuff of that back support in there it’s a short run seat. Well you will see I’m sure on trial and error as far as what works comfortably
No I use a back rest with my Cobin seat if I know I will be riding more than an hour. It makes a difference for us old guys. So I am experimenting with making the springer come up far and high. I am also playing with some designs that will allow you to add a back rest to the springer

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way Meggie, I still think the cream and green colors are the best. Grey and burgundy are a close second. I bought my Scout as soon as they came out and got red. Then I bought the Springfield when it first came out and I had a choice of the same red or black. So I got black. Now I look for ways to change up the color scheme.

·
Rider
417 Posts
I agree what MasterBlaster said about the under seat cover from Mother Road customs, not only ugly but bloody expensive.
If you could make the hardware compatible for the excellent Harley Police seat that would get you orders I'm sure.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I mounted the H-D Cop seat on my Mother Road base. It wasn’t difficult or pretty but it was beyond comfortable. A little brute force, ignorance and a big enough hammer and you can make just about anything work.
AF3352D6-4688-412B-A2AE-20BAFDD75162.jpeg
FB834313-731F-4132-87B2-A285F4C8BAD9.jpeg

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
This is the one-off Saddlemen made for the Elnora bike.

View attachment 496342
This to me looks much better than the Mother Road version. Matching paint colors would probably be an issue though. I wounder what this would look like in black on other bikes? Most importantly, this cover should not look like a cover. It needs to me minimal. That's the key.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts