Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm new to the Indian "Club" and actually, my bike isn't even to the dealer yet. I know I'm going to order new pipes for it (leaning toward V&H Grenades). I can get them for a pretty good price at Cyclegear and I'll just have the dealer install them. Does anyone know if I need to order anything other than the pipes themselves (i.e. do I need any type of a fuel management computer (excuse me if I sound like a newbie, I am).

I've searched the forums, but I didn't see anything.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You should look into the PV3. Dynojet makes it. It'll plug into your CAN port under the seat and reprogram the ECU to match the new volumetric efficiency of the setup. Really easy to do yourself after the fact.

You could get away with not doing this, but you won't see significant power gains without it, nor will the engine run well (poor A/F ratios, poor gas mileage, extra unburned gas building up and discoloring the pipes, unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear, etc.).

Worth noting that if you buy the PV3 from Fuel Moto, you'll get access to FM's tunes in addition to Dynojet's tunes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Welcome to the family @Utah-Indian_Scout-Golfer :) (y) .........but in short, no you don't need anything! The bike's electronics is smart enough to take care of your new slip-ons and since you don't do anything on the air intake side, you don't change much of the "volumetric efficiency". If you don't open up the intake, there is very little chance you get a lot more air into the engine. Anyway, if you don't want to increase power, you're fine (y) Enjoy your bike and if you really wanna look into doing something, the Fuel Moto PV3 seems to be the winner on this forum. There are plenty of threads on this topic......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should look into the PV3. Dynojet makes it. It'll plug into your CAN port under the seat and reprogram the ECU to match the new volumetric efficiency of the setup. Really easy to do yourself after the fact.

You could get away with not doing this, but you won't see significant power gains without it, nor will the engine run well (poor A/F ratios, poor gas mileage, extra unburned gas building up and discoloring the pipes, unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear, etc.).

Worth noting that if you buy the PV3 from Fuel Moto, you'll get access to FM's tunes in addition to Dynojet's tunes.
Sorry for my ignorance, but is this something that stays on the bike full time or is it just used to tune it after changing pipes. It seems like a waste of money to buy one if it only gets used once. I would assume the dealer/installer would have something similar that they would use to tune it. Once again, sorry for my silly questions, but I'm in uncharted territory.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's a one-and-done deal, yes. You tune the bike then disconnect it. It does seem frivolous to buy it just to use it once. Before you tune the bike you need to pair the device so it can't be resold over and over. It's the age of DRM...

It does have limited use after tuning though. It can read all sorts of ECU data while it's connected (knock counters, fuel trims, volumetric efficiency (table lookup), etc.), It can read and clear codes, or log data if hooked up to a laptop though that's hardly practical.

Compared to an Indian factory tune though, it'll give you more power for the same price.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's a one-and-done deal, yes. You tune the bike then disconnect it. It does seem frivolous to buy it just to use it once. Before you tune the bike you need to pair the device so it can't be resold over and over. It's the age of DRM...

It does have limited use after tuning though. It can read all sorts of ECU data while it's connected (knock counters, fuel trims, volumetric efficiency (table lookup), etc.), It can read and clear codes, or log data if hooked up to a laptop though that's hardly practical.

Compared to an Indian factory tune though, it'll give you more power for the same price.

I second this. I threw a code a few days after I got my mike custom tuned and was able to clear it. I haven't had the code since. I had vance and hines slip ons and the performance air filter from indian. Get a new intake/air filter while you are at it. And yes your bike will run like shit even if you get the updated flash when you buy indian's performance air filter. I had Ryan from Lloydz garage out of Charlotte NC indian sent me a custom tune for my bike. What a difference. If you do the PV3 just call him once you get your bike and he'll hook you up. I've got no affiliation with him, I'm just that much more happy with my bike. I also recommend getting the LED headlight upgrade if you can afford it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
And again, no, you don’t need it for just slip-ons! There is plenty of (stupid) money to spent on aftermarket parts you don’t really „need“, but, and that’s the big BUT, if you want it and you can afford it, feel free to spend the money. I’m not saying the Fuel Moto PV3 isn’t doing anything to your bike, it does make it run better, but it’s totally optional if you buy it. Know what I mean?
Sorry for putting more confusion out there, but the OPs question clearly was whether or not he „needs“ to anything else and that answer is NO

·
Registered
442 Posts
The advice from „the old guy“ is, get your bike, put your slip-ons on so she looks and sounds better, spend money on a better seat or handlebars and enjoy your new ride! You are not doing any damage to the engine and the electronics can handle that little adjustment just fine. Once you got familiar with her, and you feel the need for more power, attack the air intake and fuel management. 😎👍

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts

"nor will the engine run well (poor A/F ratios, poor gas mileage, extra unburned gas building up and discoloring the pipes, unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear, etc)"

You are WRONG!
You will not experience poor A/F ratios, poor gas mileage, extra unburned gas building up and discoloring the pipes, unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear.

1. A/F are determined by the Oxygen sensors that are near the exhaust ports.
2. Fuel mileage will not be affected due to the fact that you are not adding more fuel per engine revolution.
3. You will not have extra unburned gas building up in your pipes due to the above . answer.
4. And there will be no unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear. (Where did you . come up with that?)

·
Registered
198 Posts
You are WRONG!
You will not experience poor A/F ratios, poor gas mileage, extra unburned gas building up and discoloring the pipes, unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear.

1. A/F are determined by the Oxygen sensors that are near the exhaust ports.
2. Fuel mileage will not be affected due to the fact that you are not adding more fuel per engine revolution.
3. You will not have extra unburned gas building up in your pipes due to the above . answer.
4. And there will be no unbalanced heat management front cyl to rear. (Where did you . come up with that?)
Yikes. Did I strike a chord? Why?

Read here: Dynojet Power Vision CX on Scout Sixty anyone?

The O2 sensors are only in closed loop a short time when the A/F target is 14.7. Inside closed loop, your bike is adjusting short and long-term trims. At moderate throttle and above, the bike is in open loop. Here the trims account for the lack of O2 sensors in the loop. There's a VE table in the equation, always (not just in closed loop), that we can modify. This is where we make the biggest difference when we change airflow: the VE table modifies the MAF readings so that the ecu can account for things like actual compression ratios (not just the BDC-TDC static compression ratios), air mixture tumbling and exhaust gas scavenging to calculate the right fuel to add.

In fact you're in that thread. Didn't you read it?

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
Yikes. Did I strike a chord? Why?

Read here: Dynojet Power Vision CX on Scout Sixty anyone?

The O2 sensors are only in closed loop a short time when the A/F target is 14.7. Inside closed loop, your bike is adjusting short and long-term trims. At moderate throttle and above, the bike is in open loop. Here the trims account for the lack of O2 sensors in the loop. There's a VE table in the equation, always (not just in closed loop), that we can modify. This is where we make the biggest difference when we change airflow: the VE table modifies the MAF readings so that the ecu can account for things like actual compression ratios (not just the BDC-TDC static compression ratios), air mixture tumbling and exhaust gas scavenging to calculate the right fuel to add.

In fact you're in that thread. Didn't you read it?
Looks like you can copy and paste.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is where we make the biggest difference when we change airflow
When you say „we“, are you working for Dynojet? That would explain a lot 😳🤓

·
Registered
198 Posts
With 5 years of engineering schooling and another 15 years in industry I tend to pick up on concepts and understand them so I can explain them myself.

At any rate, I said in my first post that tuning isn't strictly necessary. So I really don't understand the vehemence here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, it does - yikes! :eek: 127 posts - will take me while to get through :rolleyes:o_O:LOL:

Reactions: XGC75
1 - 18 of 18 Posts