Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a used 2018 Chief Darkhorse with 4500 miles on it. Loaded it in the back of my truck and hold it 8 1/2 hours home. After unloading it I started it up and took my wife for a ride around the block and my check engine light came on. I parked it figuring that it may have had something to do with all of the end being shaken up quite a bit on the way home. This morning I started it and the check engine light is still on as well as the ABS light. It was idling fine but I put it into gear and it’s immediately stalled. Talking to the guy that I bought it off of he never had any issues and there’s also didn’t happen when I test rode it before making the purchase. Any ideas what could be going on before I make a trip to the local dealer that’s 45 minutes away?
I haven’t figured out yet how to retrieve any error codes if that’s possible on this model. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so that explains the ABS light. First bike I’ve owned with ABS. Thank you.
now its just the fact that the check engine light has now come on both times I’ve started it and that it immediately stalled when I put it in gear this morning

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
773 Posts
Most likely either the kickstand switch or clutch lever switch.
could also not be the switch, but the stand not up all the way. (y)

edit meaning the retraction is either too weak to pull it all the way up or its strong enough to pull it up, but not strong enough to hold it in place.

Reactions: Baron58

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I will see if possibly the kickstand isn’t all the way up when I get back home. Hopefully that’s all the problem is. The kickstand light definitely turns off though.
I truly appreciate the quick responses.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Is it showing any error codes on the screen? Some of the check engine lights will go away after a few power cycles.

The stalling could be the kickstand sensor. You could try taping the sensor in, and see if that changes things. If so, you might have a bad one.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
You should get a code with the engine light. If it is the kickstand, you will get a code for that.

520267 31 Kickstand Switch Condition Exists (engine disabled due to extended kickstand)

Not sure about the clutch switch if the clutch is not sensed being pulled. You will get this if the clutch switch is bad:
598 2 Clutch Switch Signal Signal Fault

Your kickstand switch might have been damaged when you loaded the bike or while transporting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The kickstand is definitely all the way up so that’s not the issue.

I’m not getting an error code. Just the check engine light.
when I toggle through the screens I have the following:
Mileage
Trip 1
Trip 2
RPM
Temperature
Battery
MPG
Range
Where do I find codes? I didn’t receive an owners manual although I plan to print one.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
The kickstand is definitely all the way up so that’s not the issue.

I’m not getting an error code. Just the check engine light.
when I toggle through the screens I have the following:
Mileage
Trip 1
Trip 2
RPM
Temperature
Battery
MPG
Range
Where do I find codes? I didn’t receive an owners manual although I plan to print one.

The kickstand switch is most likey the culprit, either is bad, or the switch is disconnected from the wiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The kickstand switch was the culprit. I put the kickstand up and pulled it tight and the light went away. Thanks again guys. I truly appreciate the help and I look forward to learning all about my new bike

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
The kickstand switch was the culprit. I put the kickstand up and pulled it tight and the light went away. Thanks again guys. I truly appreciate the help and I look forward to learning all about my new bike
I would check the kickstand and switch throughly. You do not want the bike to shut down on you if you hit a bump hard or in a corner.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
If you have ride command, drag down the red Indian logo in the top center. Then the settings "cog" you should find diagnostics and engine codes there...

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
WD40 the kickstand spring and the pivot. That should cure the switch problem... unless you used the kickstand, and ratchet straps to lock the bike down in your truck. It's possible the kickstand pivot got bent slightly, causing the kickstand not retracting properly, causing the switch not to work properly. Just a few thoughts.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Unfortunately the codes won't show up on the dash if the bike has been stopped and started. However, a dealer can look up historic codes.

If there is a current error, don't turn the bike off. Scroll the readout until the code shows up as a pair of numbers. There is a phone app called Indian Diagnostics that lists them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts