Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't been able to find new owner reviews of the new Indians on You Tube or forums except for comments about valve noise. Wish new owners would post threads about the excitement of taking delivery, getting familar with the features and getting out on the road, what you like and don't like, comments from others, etc.

I just noticed that I'm a junior member, been riding Indians since 1952, LOL!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My wife and I have logged just over 400 miles in 3 days since it was bought, WE LOVE IT! I'll have more info to write about soon. We just got back from the dealer today with a pile of goodies including; passenger backrest, highway pegs, bluetooth speakers and front lower air dam. On order is the rear crash bars, chrome passenger pegs and a service manual.

I will post a video of the speakers for sure.

I talked with the service manager about the valve noise, she said let's get through the first oil change and listen again. Lots of warranty on these so no real hurry.

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
Took delivery of my Vintage at the end of October, the only parts/accessories the dealer had were the rear crash bars and leather hand grips to match the brown leather. Over the course of the next several months first the handlebar bag arrived, just as I hit my 500 mile service. The passenger back rest arrived just before bike week. Then my dealer folded and had to switch to Ocala Indian. My wife bought me the Indian mirrors in January for an anniversary present. We had to go down to Ocala and order the luggage rack because my prior dealer was never able to get one, and from what I can see nobody else can get them either. I had used my $250 gift certificate for the luggage rack the first time, now that the original dealer is gone I had to pay Ocala $250 cash but am still waiting for the luggage rack. While I was there putting the order in for the luggage rack I bought the rear bumper. In the mean time I've been enjoying my Vintage and have over 3k miles to date. My Vintage is a high maintenance bike to keep it looking new. White walls and laced wheels take more work to keep clean. No signs of using oil, or leaks of any kind. Occasionally right after start up on a cold engine I do get a little clicking from the cams, but after you get over 1800 RPM the noise goes away. When the engine is up to tempreture you don't hear it at all. Getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot day does get toasty. You are not going to be dumb enough to ride in shorts on this bike. The rubber on the shifter is showing wear and isn't easy to spin around to even out the wear. My boots must be pretty rough on it. The rear brake pedal hasn't shown any wear yet. The passenger back rest is starting to fade to closer match the saddle. At first it was a darker brown and almost looked out of place. The leather hand grips have aged nicely and look really good.

Any where I ride this bike she just draws compliments. I've spent lots of time explaining to people that yes Indian is back in business. My Victory Vision has been stuck in the garage for a long time. At least I did finally get it's oil and filter changed last weekend. My next oil change on the Vintage will be at 5500 miles so for now I'm just enjoying this great bike. IMG_0752.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having a ball running my Chieftain. Owned it for 2 weeks and already at 1600 miles! 500 mile service, felt good doing it. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to run better when you change the oil on any bike. Spoke to Jason of SPP in Scottsdale last week. J remembered me from the many dyno-tuning orders I've brought SPP since '09 in Laughlin. I asked him about the choices we should be getting soon for exhausts, Hi-Flo air and Power Commander options. Still too new, he said, but look out. Things should be opening up very soon! I can't wait to get some air into the Chieftain and a killer set of Vance & Hines true duals (my wish list)...

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
Just did 500 mile service. Had the stage 1 slip-ons and retune done. Really woke up the bike. Slightly less power off idle but mid range increase was very noticeable. Especially out on the interstate. 70 MPH + 6th gear acceleration was way better.No more need to downshift to get around a semi! The sound is not to loud but my neighbor says he can hear me fire up the Chieftain now.Going to put some road miles on it next week.So far I find nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Having a ball running my Chieftain. Owned it for 2 weeks and already at 1600 miles! 500 mile service, felt good doing it. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to run better when you change the oil on any bike. Spoke to Jason of SPP in Scottsdale last week. J remembered me from the many dyno-tuning orders I've brought SPP since '09 in Laughlin. I asked him about the choices we should be getting soon for exhausts, Hi-Flo air and Power Commander options. Still too new, he said, but look out. Things should be opening up very soon! I can't wait to get some air into the Chieftain and a killer set of Vance & Hines true duals (my wish list)...
Have you checked your gas mileage yet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a demo ride on a Vintage @ Scottsdale Az. Indian and the valves were very loud. It was like 80 Deg.F I think the break in has something to do with it. Everybody and his brother is hammering on the throttle [me included] I bought a new Chief Classic last week in Wi. and put on 400 miles so far. I rode home 130 miles from dealer on back country roads. I'm careful not to rev or lug the motor. My motor makes bit of noise when cold [the weather sucks here could use some of that global warming I hear about] But is quiet otherwise. My last bike was a AMF Shovelhead talk about LOUD valves. If it bothers you buy earplugs.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Haven't been able to find new owner reviews of the new Indians on You Tube or forums except for comments about valve noise. Wish new owners would post threads about the excitement of taking delivery, getting familar with the features and getting out on the road, what you like and don't like, comments from others, etc.

I just noticed that I'm a junior member, been riding Indians since 1952, LOL!
I've been a long time Harley owner, like over 40 years.
My dad was a WLA mechanic in WWII
My grandpa was a hill climber on a HD
I have three sons and all of them ride HD.
Don't even get me to showing you all the HD ink I've had done over the years.

So what in the hell am I doing on an Indian?

That's a question that I ought to be real good at answering by now, lots of practice.
For a very brief period I would start out with the reasons why I had to leave Harley Davidson. All of the things that I didn't like about the bikes and the company. Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I had an EVO Road King for almost 20 years that I put 385,000 miles on and I was very bitter....crazy. I had watched the wave of new riders come in with the AMF tide. I had watched HD transform. From the back alley to the Interstate exit ramp. From a greasy fingernail mom and pop motorcycle shop to a multi level MotorClothes Boutique. Then the advent of bean counter engineering to create a Bic Lighter motorcycle with the marketing illusion of traditional value, rebuild ability, and strong resale.

My arrival at the crossroads with Harley Davidson was met with one single event that will be forever burned into my memory. After 45 years of loyal ownership, I'm standing at the service department counter of my local dealership and a zit faced punk, young enough to be my grandson, is telling me that they no longer work on Harley Davidson motorcycles that are 10 years or older.

All of this shit peaked just as I'm realizing that I'm just a scant few years away from retirement and if I want "one more new bike" in my lifetime then I better get to painting or climb down off the ladder. I really don't enjoy crawling around on the ground, wrenching like I used to. My years of hot rodding and loud exhausts are behind me.

So anyway, just a little background development there.

I knew I needed a new motorcycle and I knew it was NOT going to have a Twin Cam Harvey Davison motor in it. I set out to research what was out there in the market place. A blank sheet approach, free of the glare of Milwaukee Kool Aide.....how refreshing! The internet provided me with all of the road tests and reviews of ANY motorcycle that I could think of and even some that never even occurred to me.

Honest soul searching on how and why I rode. What was my real style....not my profile...my style? I like to commute everyday on my motorcycle and I also like to get out on the week ends and run with my Club....700 or 800 mile days. I love the old style of low RPM chugging with short shifting and engine braking. I want low end torque but geared with long legs to run 85mph on the freeway. And yeah damn it, looks are important to me. I might be a greybeard but I still got an image to maintain.

Now I feel like I at least have the laser sight zeroed in and I can begin my search for my life changing experience.
I would say that almost the entire year of 2013 was spent with my nose in the books. Reading and comparing. It didn't take long for my sights to fall on the Moto Guzzi 1400 California. A beautiful bike with the low end torque tied to long legs. I was pretty sure I had found what I had been searching for.

But then....

Rumors had been surfacing about the new Indian. First it was the engine....remember that? Pictures of that beautiful flathead looking mill. Then a little sound clip of the 750RPM idle....Film at 11. Wait till August....Wait till Sturgis.....Then an abbreviated spec sheet on the new motor......119 ft/lbs of torque at like 2,500rpm...holy hell. Then the bike was unveiled. You remember what you thought the very first time you saw it....right? I don't think any motorcycle guy could forget the first time he laid eyes on this new Indian.

Every fiber in my body wanted to believe that it was just too good to be true. Those beautiful flathead valve covers were probably chromed plastic...right? And those beautiful art deco fenders were probably cheap fiberglass....right? And the price tag had to be up there where the air was rare...because ya know how Indians are....right?

Hey, time has gotten away from me...got to go to work now....Let me know if there is any interest in what happened next and what happens everytime I throw a leg over that beautiful Indian out there waiting for me.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Pssssst, come er. Yeah, come over here and stand by me. Put your hand on me.
A deep husky whisper like from under the sweaty sheets.

Nervously I reached out.

When I touched her my head instantly filled with music as the electric pulses raced through my body.

I couldn't run loose and I haven't been able to since.
That was the first time I ever saw her.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Tell the man you are going to take me home with you.
My ear is still wet from her tongue.

Yeah,
That is EXACTLY how it was when I walked into the Indian dealer that morning.
Lust at first sight.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Would you like to take a test ride first?

Uh, what? What did you say?
Are you talking to me?

Oh yeah, I was toast and I knew it but didn't care.

If not this motorcycle, which one?
If not now, when?

She sat there and waited for me because she knew. She knew I was under her spell.
She is a Brickhouse and she knows it.

Almost afraid to go near her again because my knees were weak and my hands were shaking.
As I mounted her it happened again....my head filled with music and I slipped deeper under her spell

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Huh?
What did you say?
What did you tell me that switch does?
No key?
Ok....ok.....ok

I didn't hear a damn word the salesman told me during my delivery.

I walked into the dealership at 10am and at 11:30 I was riding out on my new Indian.
Smitten doesn't EVEN begin to describe it....but it is the closest word that I can come up with.

My FL was a jet ski
My Indian is a plush ocean liner

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Shame on you if you are trying to do this without headphones on your cell phone.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

Down through the sugar cane fields and bayous below New Orleans lays the town of Houma....where my Indian dealer is.
Things happen down there in the swamps that nobody even whispers about.
Secrets known but untold.

I knew I was on the edge as i pushed my Road King deeper and deeper south that morning. I could feel her pulling me from afar away as New Orleans.
Calling to me with her soft voice on the wind.
She knew I would come.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
You got to understand the passion going in and the passion going out to feel the power here.
The word profound also somehow comes up short.

Do you know what it is like to walk into a room with a beautiful woman on your arm?
I'm not talking MaryAnn beautiful. I'm talking Ginger beautiful.
A barn burner, a show stopper.
A woman not afraid to wear a little too much make up AND false eyelashes when she teases her hair.
A woman who knows what men like.
A woman who dresses for you and not her girlfriends.....she probably doesn't even have any girlfriends.
The conversations in the room stop and every head turns to look at her.
Every man envies you and every woman hates her.

If you don't know this feeling or ever felt it....you will, when you take an Indian out on the road.
Instant celebrity status.
Everyone shows genuine interest...even hard core Harley guys.
People will actually stop their cars and walk across the street just to look at it.

I was eating at a little joint the other day. Sitting near the window, just so I could look at her while I was eating.
Three separate couples strolling by had to stop and take pictures.
Amazing brand appeal.
And those too young to recognize the brand will always start out "Is that a Harley"? or "Who makes that"?

I work with several guys who ride Harleys.
One guy caught the fever just last summer. He got bit pretty hard too.
Spent $28,000 out the door on a new anniversary edition with all the bells and whistles.
THEN he went to work "fixing it" the way he wanted it.
Over $10,000 later and the chrome switch housings for his handlebars are the next thing on his list to do.
Get the picture? Ya know a guy like this?

The day I rolled into work on my new Indian.....whoa.
He comes over and I watch his face as he asks the questions....the important questions.
"Did it come like that?"
of course, I got to toy with him......what cha mean?
"Ya know man, with all that chrome"?
Yeah....it's a stock bike.
"If ya don't mind me asking, how much it set ya back"?
The look on his face was like an actual physical kick in the nuts.
I felt bad for him....genuinely.

He stood there silently looking at the Indian as the cold hard facts washed over him.
Eyes locked on her beauty, unable to turn away.
In just one split second his whole life changed from a proud Harley owner to a victim.
He knew it and he knew I knew it.
I could stand there and actually see the gears turning in his head, smell his nose hairs burning.

That was a couple of weeks ago and he probably hasn't said 10 words to me since.

So that's a little about what owning an Indian is like.

I don't know if anyone is reading this or not.....can I get an AMEN around here?
Because I ain't even started telling ya how the bike performs and handles.
And that's really the best part.

let me leave ya with a little magic music.....Indian Red has a very powerful gris gris in New Orleans....ya might not have known that.

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
That is a great write up Big Daddy. I get a kick out of parking my Indian at the local HD dealer when our CMA chapter does a grill fest for them once a month. People just gravitate to my bike and stare. The HD sales staff made the mistake of trying to put the bike down as a Polaris snowmobile wanna be. I just showed them the HD snowmobile photo and asked what happened? Then I plunge the knife in and ask just when is HD going to repay the TARP loan they got from Obummer? I love my Indian and my Vision they both drive the HD fanatics nuts. Ride on brother!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was riding my Chief Classic past a HD dealership in Milwaukee. When a dozen or so HOG charter members rode up next to me. I looked over to give a biker wave. They all looked away like it hurt there eyes. As if I wasn't there a enigma. Still have my HD but it doesn't get used. Have yet to see another one here. I feel special.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
That is a great write up Big Daddy. I get a kick out of parking my Indian at the local HD dealer when our CMA chapter does a grill fest for them once a month. People just gravitate to my bike and stare. The HD sales staff made the mistake of trying to put the bike down as a Polaris snowmobile wanna be. I just showed them the HD snowmobile photo and asked what happened? Then I plunge the knife in and ask just when is HD going to repay the TARP loan they got from Obummer? I love my Indian and my Vision they both drive the HD fanatics nuts. Ride on brother!
Well, you have a very GOOD reason to go by the Harley dealer, even if it is only once a month.
I can't seem to find ANY reason to go by the Harley dealer...at all.
Maybe if I was headed out of town and need to pick up a piece of riding gear. Ya know, spur of the moment thing...maybe.

To be honest, I have played it in my head and the fact that they had at least a one-liner to toss at ya confirms my suspicions that they have been sharpening their knives. Getting their "talking points" together...sort of funny.

I'll have to remember your Harley Snow Mobile line.....I probably would have shot back that I just wanted to pick up one of their T-shirts as I was out of toilet paper. lol

I saw an interesting interview the other day with the CEO of Polaris about the future of the Indian. He mentioned that 80% of Indian sales are coming from guys getting off of their Harley.....very interesting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts