Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to indians. Just getting back riding after 16 years. Purchased a spirit from neighbors. It has 3300 mi on it. He got to old and dropedthe bike. Came with new indian parts directionals, windshield, front fender new fender tips etc. Biggest issue. Transmission shifting rod turns but nobodies home inside. Tried to remove trans. Cover but can't get to front bolt because of down tube that front of oil tank bolts to. Does anyone have experance? I was told by a HD guy he said that S S techs didn't assemble motors so they aren't as good. Brother in law advised I purchase a Jess James gasket kit because these are noted for leakage. Any advice on these models would be greatly appreciated. Not in a hurry upstate ny riding season over. Just want to enjoy a funand headache free 2015. Have a great day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really like the Spirit and don't see much of them, I'm sure they'll be back someday or something like it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had heard that the earlier bikes had motors assembled by S&S and the later bikes had the motors assembles at Gilroy. (S&S could not keep up with the demand as the rumors go, but in truth was probably a cost cutting thing)
The whole set up is not much (if any) different then a soft tail Harley install. If getting to the bolt is not going to happen then the trany will need to come out. If you have any room at all and it has allen head bolts you might try using an allen wrench with a ball end. That way you can come at it at an angle. You can get them at Harbor Freight for around $15. If that wont work you will need to remove the primary etc. to get the trany out. If you don't have a shop manual and a parts book then get them. (I have an extra set if you cant find them on your end)
I like the rubber coated gaskets. They seal better and are re-usable if you don't break them taking it apart.

Good luck and congrates on the purchase of your Gilroy Indian.

Bruce

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, New to indians. Just getting back riding after 16 years. Purchased a spirit from neighbors. It has 3300 mi on it. He got to old and dropedthe bike. Came with new indian parts directionals, windshield, front fender new fender tips etc. Biggest issue. Transmission shifting rod turns but nobodies home inside. Tried to remove trans. Cover but can't get to front bolt because of down tube that front of oil tank bolts to. Does anyone have experance? I was told by a HD guy he said that S S techs didn't assemble motors so they aren't as good. Brother in law advised I purchase a Jess James gasket kit because these are noted for leakage. Any advice on these models would be greatly appreciated. Not in a hurry upstate ny riding season over. Just want to enjoy a funand headache free 2015. Have a great day.
download a free service manual for your Spirit. Shared Files Repair it and have fun. I traded in my 03 spirit for my Vintage so I know how much enjoyment you'll have once you fix it. Good luck, Happy New Year and ride safe! Congrats on the Spirit.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Depends on the build day...I have a 99 Chief with 110,000 miles on the original engine and an 01 Centennial Scout with 90,000 miles on the original engine. Parts were good, depended on whether or not the builder was paying attention when they assembled them. Change your gaskets and check your rocker boxes. If they are three pieces, you should consider changing them out to a two piece S&S kit. Most of the weeping and leaking was coming from the cheap three piece rocker boxes warping, slipping, and allowing oil to pass by them. Outside of that, the Scouts and the Spirits had about half the issues of the Chiefs. That said, check your tanks to make sure they haven't rusted on the inside and that the liner is still intact. At about the decade mark, all mine have had to be replaced. Also, check your headlight bracket. Those were prone to break as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There was very low warranty on the engines built at Gilroy. There may have been a learning curve when the Indian techs first started doing the engine assembly. The engines were built at Gilroy because Indian offered black powder coated engines with polished fins and they were considering offering other colors as well. All of the polishing was done either in-house or locally. All of the powder coating was done in-house. Once the finish was complete, the motor components were sent to assembly. I'm sure there was a cost saving in building them at Indian versus paying S&S to do it.

As far as the fuel tanks go, anything '01 and earlier will have problems with rust inside. The unfinished tanks were purchased overseas and were of questionable quality. A lot of effort went into polishing those turds at Gilroy. For all of the 2002 model year bikes, the tanks and fenders were brought in-house. The quality after that was much better and bondo became a dirty word.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts