Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,826 Posts
It's basically a gussied up base model FTR 1200. It does look better and supposedly the Pirelli tires are a big improvement.

·
Bronze member
2,052 Posts
It’s a base model with spoke wheels, and a couple other add ons that were already offered through Indian.

It is cheaper to buy it as a package than add it to the base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,826 Posts
Yep the add-ons would be a lot more costly not to mention you'd have take-offs to store or sell whatever.

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a base model with spoke wheels, and a couple other add ons that were already offered through Indian.

It is cheaper to buy it as a package than add it to the base

I know we talked about it when it first came out in Europe... at that time it was a Euro bike only... I'm just kind of surprised there was no fan-fare at all about it being in NA just happened to run across the article...

·
Bronze member
2,052 Posts
I honestly think that it’s because no one really wanted it. If they wanted that style they could have made it with the parts all the dealers have sitting in the display cases they had to buy.

My dealer said they might get one. But since the other ones still haven’t sold they aren’t in a big hurry.

·
4,826 Posts
I'm thinking that unless sales pick up this Spring the lack of demand for the FTR might spell it's doom. Bad in a way but will possibly up the value of existing ones sometime in the future. I expect other versions or models utilizing the 1200 motor will come.

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
I think they need to make one with shorter wheels to lower the wheel base and modify the foot controls to more of a mid position and they might have something. They also need all the FTR's to be more competitive in price to similar models.

Reactions: LeeDean17

·
4,826 Posts
I agree about the lower seat height and the mid controls. The seat needs to come down a couple inches or more and the foot controls need to come down a couple inches and ahead about three. Another common complaint is difficulty refueling and tank capacity which could both be remedied. The pricing definitely must come down some.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,383 Posts
I'm thinking that unless sales pick up this Spring the lack of demand for the FTR might spell it's doom. Bad in a way but will possibly up the value of existing ones sometime in the future. I expect other versions or models utilizing the 1200 motor will come.
IMHO they won’t give up on the FTR that easy. Polaris kept Victory going for 18 years and they are still keeping the Slingshot around.

·
Rider
1,213 Posts
I think they need to make one with shorter wheels to lower the wheel base and modify the foot controls to more of a mid position and they might have something. They also need all the FTR's to be more competitive in price to similar models.
There's a new rear shock that was released by 3rd party producer that lowers the seat height ~1"-1.5" if memory serves me correct.

·
Bronze member
2,052 Posts
Yes. There are several companies who offer lowering springs and shocks for it now.

But do we really need to start another lowered/mid control/over priced ftr complain thread by those who don’t own one?

We have more of these threads than oil threads in the ftr section..

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMHO they won’t give up on the FTR that easy. Polaris kept Victory going for 18 years and they are still keeping the Slingshot around.

but only took 4 years to drop the Chief....

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
but only took 4 years to drop the Chief....
Ya ... I assume the profit margin on the Chief Classic was too small.
The 2014 models had chrome switchhousings/levers/forks/nacelle, driving lights and oil cooler.
Bit by bit the bling got eliminated ... until we got the Darkhorse placed at the bottom of the TS111 range ... you still want a bit of accessories and bling on the non fairing model? Go get the Vintage or Springfield ... and PAY.

In the FTR lineup at some point they will keep the base model for sure ... then depending on the demand one of the S XOR RR versions. (FTR with RideCommand)

The Rally I consider as a teaser/tester and might be short lived ... until they have the proper Adventure version.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I forgot about the Roadmaster Classic too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yeah that one kinda blew my mind... at least around here when I went to buy a new bike that's what I was looking for... couldn't find one (winter 18-19) so I bought a 18 Limited... I would have got the RMC if I could have found one... but I think nation wide they were not selling

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Buyers in the FTR segment are not as brand loyal as other segments. Bottom line is you can get a lot more bike for much less money with what Asia is offering...and chances are you’ll fit in better with your riding buddies on an Asian or euro bike.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts