Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I really like the decorative touch Indian put on the stock key, but it tends to catch on things and jab my leg when it's in my pocket. I ordered a blank from eBay, and it worked. It's the Ilco X270, or just search for "key X270" -- another part number is TMC1. These keys fit different Buell motorcycles from 2000 through 2010. I just had mine cut, and it works perfectly.

The blank cost me $9, and the locksmith charged me a whole dollar, one whole dollar, to cut it.

Now, there is a sliiiiight difference. The center channel running lengthwise down the Indian key is narrower by a hair, but the difference does not affect functionality at all. The new key slides right in. Perfect fit, both directions.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my adventure in key hunting.

-TheDude

Metal Brass Fashion accessory Jewellery
Brass Metal

·
Registered
Chief Classic Pearl White.
255 Posts
Be cautious of showing photos of your key. A person can make a key from your picture! I do like the key with a nice head on it. I will be ordering one for sure.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did we rec'v one or two keys when we purchased the Scout? Can't remember what I did with the 2nd one if we rec'd two.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi guys,

I really like the decorative touch Indian put on the stock key, but it tends to catch on things and jab my leg when it's in my pocket. I ordered a blank from eBay, and it worked. It's the Ilco X270, or just search for "key X270" -- another part number is TMC1. These keys fit different Buell motorcycles from 2000 through 2010. I just had mine cut, and it works perfectly.

The blank cost me $9, and the locksmith charged me a whole dollar, one whole dollar, to cut it.

Now, there is a sliiiiight difference. The center channel running lengthwise down the Indian key is narrower by a hair, but the difference does not affect functionality at all. The new key slides right in. Perfect fit, both directions.

-TheDude

View attachment 22631 View attachment 22632
The new key would poke me more than the original key. I had a wood medallion FOB and it made so much noise and would poke my leg, so I just bought a leather FOB and I don't even notice the key anymore.

·
Registered
Chief Classic Pearl White.
255 Posts
Just one key per Scout. Now I have a backup.
I got two keys per scout and key number tags. One key and the tag is locked away just in case. They must ship in the ignition while in the crate because one of the keys has a tight black rubber sheath around the sharp end to prevent scratches.

·
Registered
198 Posts
We get 2 keys and a key numbered tag as well but here in UK we get a rubber covered Indian head, like yours but cased in rubber.
I would chase your dealer for the spare key.(before he nicks your bike ;))

·
Rider
313 Posts
I received 2 also. Don't recall ever having an issue with the Indian head. My car keys on the other hand are ridiculous. There are 3 sets of auto keys, 2 fobs, a bunch of various keys for things around the house. Plus those stupid bar code things that get you the advertised sale price at the supermarket or your going to pay through the nose etc. For my bike its the Indian Key, the house hey and the key to my Corbin seat. So when its in my pocket its like I lost 10lbs.

·
Untilted.
456 Posts
Man, I'm a pretty big guy, and I have tree trunk legs, and not once has my key ever stabbed me in the leg. How are you guys accomplishing this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,

-TheDude

View attachment 22631 View attachment 22632
Got a backup key made at ACE Hardware (including blank) for $1.85, . . .It works perfectly

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, I'm a pretty big guy, and I have tree trunk legs, and not once has my key ever stabbed me in the leg. How are you guys accomplishing this?
I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs of lean meat. I had the Indian head stab me in the leg, and it felt like it would or could twist. The end of the Indian head makes a good lever for twisting, even when embedded in jeans.

TheDude

·
Registered
955 Posts
I had a key cut, £4 I think, has a nice shape plastic end, cut by a company called Apache!

we have the advantage of a simple key (no transducer) so if you feel you'd like another key then just get one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.