Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I went to Indian Motorcycles in Union, N.J. This morning for the Demo Event. The Event was nicely ran with food and refreshments and the staff was friendly answering all questions.

A little background on my riding history over the last 20 years. I have mostly ridden and owned Harley's (2) Sporsters, (3) Dyna's, (2) Softails and a Roadglide with this Harley being the best in which I owned. After going to Daytona for Bike Week in 2012 and taking a Demo ride on a Victory High Ball I was sold and bought one. I now currently own a 2012 Victory Cross Country which is probably the best ridding bike I ever owned.

Now lets talk about today's Demo ride aboard a Black 2014 Indian Chieftain. The overall appearance of the bike was very nice. The engine looked and sounded great even in stock form. Sitting on the bike and taking it off the kickstand was an interesting experiance. This bike has the lowest center of gravity of any bike I ever sat on. It felt so centered and light you would never believe it is an 800+ Pound bike. The ergonomics was point on for my 5'09 frame. The reach to the bars and floor boards was very comfortable. The electronics and controls were easy to navigate and cycle through.

It is hard to see the red colored read outs on the information screen with the glare from the sun. The clutch pull is very light and the throttle response was great. The bike suspension soaked up all road irregularities and stayed very planted. The turning radius of the 25 degree rack was 'sick', this thing handles very well!

The brake system felt smooth and responsive and did a very nice job bring the bike to a stop. The acceleration was smooth and powerful. You can literally be going 5-10 miles per hour in third gear and just twist the throttle and the bike takes off. The enginneering that had to go into this engine to make it perform the way it does had to be extensive.

The bike has very little to no vibration making its way to the rider and shifts incredibly smooth. I never missed a gear shift and found neutral with no problem. The adjustable windshield was terrific. I cycled through the lowest position allowing me to see over the top to the highest position looking through the windshield as we transitioned from city to highway riding.

On the highway I got the bike up to 70 mph with the windshield in the highest position and the wind protection was great. Overall this is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. I believe once the Motorcycle magazines and more reviews are listed on the web this bike will become the new bench mark in American Motorcycles. Great job to Polaris Industries bringing back the Indian Brand. I believe it will be around for awhile and Harley will really need to step their game up to stay on top. I will definitely be purchasing a Chieftain in the future!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for that, I can assume from what you say I better not test ride one until I can afford one. Although my XR is the best riding bike I have ever had I know how it can get under the skin when you test something better. But is it that much better? Hmmmm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's good news,but I just don't dig the look.
I'm waiting for the new Victory engine and hoping it's alot better than the 106,from a low end pull point of view and transmission noise.

Hope some of the tech finds it's way to the Vic's soon.

Hoe you get your Chiefain soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, unfortunately to me it rode better then my CC. The bike defenitly performs well. I definitely liked the looks more in person than what you see on the web. I agree with you that I hope some of the improvements that Indian has made makes its way into the Vic line. That would be really nice. The look of the Indian is a very classic style that you either love or hate. For my wife she hates the look of the bike and is riding me hard not to get one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6724 said:
I believe once the Motorcycle magazines and more reviews are listed on the web this bike will become the new bench mark in American Motorcycles.
No need to wait for the motorcycle magazine reviews. If you haven't already read this one, check out MJW930's review:

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/20940/my-day-at-a-demo-event-my-review-of-the-2014-indians/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 said:
No need to wait for the motorcycle magazine reviews. If you haven't already read this one, check out MJW930's review:

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/20940/my-day-at-a-demo-event-my-review-of-the-2014-indians/
Thanks Andy and after re-reading it I found 2 more typo's and added an update to the Classic section on wind management.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also went to the demo in Union NJ. I rode the classic, it's been a long while since I rode a bike without a fairing or shield. The bike handles great and that engine, that engine is awesome. The low end torque is great. I found my self at 15 mph in fourth and it still was able to pull. The handling through those twisties was rock solid. I find the comfort and handling about equal to my XCT. The power however is much better. I would of liked more pullback as well. Now for the looks, the classic and vintage look great, fit, finish, and design very nice. The paint quality is pretty good. I didn't like the colors in person that much. The Cheiftain, I don't know if I like that fairing design much. I can't justify getting rid of my XCT for an Indian yet. We will see how they progress over the next few years. Harley better pay attention because the competition just got better. I hope the electronics carry over to Victory.

Now my review on the new 2014 HD touring line. I test rode the new street glide. My last HD was an 09 ultra classic bumped up to a 103. The ride hasn't changed, the handling still feels a little disconnected. Still feel like I'm siting on the bike instead of in the bike. It feels cramped to me. The redesign of the bike definitely looks better than it did before. The vent in the fairing is a little weird looking but functions very well. The new handle on the saddle bags works a lot better. The voice recognition only works with a Bluetooth headset. The stereo sounds better than before but I like Vic's stereo better. I will not be going back to HD but I really like the infotainment system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good reports, guys. Thanks. I want to mention the Chieftains info. screen because I have a Chieftain on order, CAN'T WAIT :))), and I've read in a number of places that the info screen is hard to see. I didn't notice that in Sturgis during my two test rides but I've read it several times. It turns out that Indian says that folks pushed buttons on the screens, without knowing what was what, and dimmed the screens. I called my dealer to tell him that I've read about the screens a number of times and it seems like an item the factory needs to give attention to. He got with the factory and they told him they were aware that buttons were inadvertantly pushed at test ride centers and later test riders couldn't read the screens. He ASSURED me that the screens have night time dimming, like cars, and that the screens are perfectly clear in daylight if the wrong button isn't pushed, dimming for night time. Hey, I felt better! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife and I were also at the Union demo ride, Jeannie rode a Scout which she already ordered but only sat on not riden September 2nd. She loves the Scout. She has not riden in about 5 years and was very nervous but like the old saying goes about riding a bike she sure didn't forget. I rode a clasic which was nice, but I test road a Chieftain back in July with a stage 1 kit on it and it was amazing. I love that bike. I am 5' 9" 150lbs not a big guy, I was able to jump on the Chieftain and whip around corners like nothing. It shot up to 80 so fast while being super comfortable. I could not believe how well balanced and light it feels while riding. I can't wait to see what else Indian will come out with.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good reports, guys. Thanks. I want to mention the Chieftains info. screen because I have a Chieftain on order, CAN'T WAIT :))), and I've read in a number of places that the info screen is hard to see. I didn't notice that in Sturgis during my two test rides but I've read it several times. It turns out that Indian says that folks pushed buttons on the screens, without knowing what was what, and dimmed the screens. I called my dealer to tell him that I've read about the screens a number of times and it seems like an item the factory needs to give attention to. He got with the factory and they told him they were aware that buttons were inadvertantly pushed at test ride centers and later test riders couldn't read the screens. He ASSURED me that the screens have night time dimming, like cars, and that the screens are perfectly clear in daylight if the wrong button isn't pushed, dimming for night time. Hey, I felt better! :)
I had a similar thing happen when I rode the RM. I thought it was the lowers blocking air, causing the back cylinders to heat up more. Someone had turned on the heated seat and caused several cases of huevos rancheros. Same with heated grips on other rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts