Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, made a couple of posts before I realised there was a specific introduction thread. Anyway, I'm new to Indian and have a new Icon Blue Roadmaster. Kinda like it so far, very different to riding on 6 cylinders but...the Dunlop E3's are seriously slippery, I can skid the rear one on dry tarmac without even trying!...the abs works well ...;) Yes, I've scrubbed 'em in. (y)
So this brings me to a question, plainly they've got to go but I need to lift the bike (obviously)...Do any of you good folks use a front wheel vise while lifting the rear of the bike and, if so, what do you recommend? TIA.

Liking the forum, it seems as though we're still allowed to take the pi$$ a little - refreshing in these PC times.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Greetings and welcome. Your post needs more pictures of an Icon Blue Roadmaster. Don't know about the Dunlop E3s, but my scout came with Dunlop tires (don't know the model) and I've happier all-around with the replacements. Not ripping on Dunlop - just like the replacements better.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
So this brings me to a question, plainly they've got to go but I need to lift the bike (obviously)...Do any of you good folks use a front wheel vise while lifting the rear of the bike and, if so, what do you recommend? TIA.
I think most people just use a lift under the bike and get the whole thing off the floor. Trying to hold the front wheel down and locked while lifting the rear high enough to swap out the wheel will be difficult. A workshop will have a table where the panel under the rear wheel drops away to enable the removal of the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
@PinkRosePetal These are pretty heavy bikes. I don't think you will want to do as you described. I usually, lift the whole bike via a jack. If you use a jack, make SURE you check the lifting points. The engine IS a lifting point so avoid any tubing and the oil drain plugs.
I have one of the jack "adapters" but really don't like it. It did not take long to return to using 2 blocks of wood.

PS
Welcome to the tribe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I realised later that what I called a wheel vise you folks call a wheel chock, anyway here is my solution. I started with a commercial unit for $25 because it got me half way there. Why reinvent? :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts