Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse completely stock performance wise. I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the OTB intake strictly for the aesthetics reasons. I just flat out like the way it looks and think the red would contrast nicely with my Chieftain.

My question... do I NEED to get the PV3 as well if I’m running an aftermarket air intake on STOCK pipes? Personally I’m satisfied with the performance of the stock motor as is. Does anyone have personal experience with not doing an aftermarket tune when only changing the air intake?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So you’re gonna be pulling more air through that intake. It will lean out your already lean system. A tune or at least a booster plug would be a good idea. If you’re not getting pings or backfires, you’re probably okay.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,070 Posts
I was always under the understanding that you could do pipes OR the intake and not have to tune. But if you do both, then a tune is needed. Total air flow would be restricted by one side or the other.

I'm not a mechanic, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I won’t say you have to tune it. But you really, really should tune the bike for the extra air that’s coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I was always under the understanding that you could do pipes OR the intake and not have to tune. But if you do both, then a tune is needed. Total air flow would be restricted by one side or the other.

I'm not a mechanic, so I could be wrong.
If you change the intake you should tune. If you just do slip ons you’re probably okay. If you do headers you should tune.

Reactions: Jhuggs

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’ve got a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse completely stock performance wise. I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on the OTB intake strictly for the aesthetics reasons. I just flat out like the way it looks and think the red would contrast nicely with my Chieftain.

My question... do I NEED to get the PV3 as well if I’m running an aftermarket air intake on STOCK pipes? Personally I’m satisfied with the performance of the stock motor as is. Does anyone have personal experience with not doing an aftermarket tune when only changing the air intake?

Thanks,
Mike
You should definately add a tuning device to help correct the air/fuel ratio...the benefits will be smoother,and cooler running engine,better power,and increased fuel mileage. you have other options then just PV3,Dobeck has a good product called electronic jet kit that is easy to install and adjust.

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
I always think of the "intake" as the intake manifold, not the AC aka air cleaner/filter. But then, I'm a picky SOB :rolleyes:

Anyways, If you change the thingy LOL, air flow is being freed up and or increased. So it seems to me a tune would be needed. But if the stock exhaust is still in place the engine is still somewhat choked out, so maybe a tune isn't needed?

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Talk to CraigB here on the forum, is a respected engine tuning guru. And what he will tell you is NO, you don't need a tuner to run this or any intake and if you have slip ons. And this is why:

1. In closed loop where most of the bike runs in the ECU will adjust the fuel trims to set the AF ratio to the 14.7.1 Fun Fact: Dyno jet, Fuel Motto, CraigB don't change this area on there tunes except for idle and very low power, they slightly enrichen to 14.1.1
2. At higher power settings the stock tune is overly rich so a freer flowing air cleaner will actually make the bike run better because the AF ratio is leaned from being over rich.

A PV3 tune will improve the bike overall but is not needed for safety reasons.

Here is something almost everyone overlooks here! The saying need a tune because of intake and pipes is a carburetor thing not a fuel infected thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts