Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am excited. I finally found a way to 3D print parts hardy enough for the outdoor motorcycle world. I am using ASA plastic. It is a form of ABS but it is heat, weather, UV, gas, and oil resistant. It has taken thousands of dollars to get my 3D printers to print properly in a good material. Here is the second prototype of a new intake for Scout called "Hurican" This is the word used by native Indians in Florida and we all now use the word "Hurricane". The intake has subtle fins that direct the air into a slight swirl motion. Thus the name "Hurican". The idea is to present the air with even pressure as it enters the intake manifold. Probably a small point but it sounds cool. I still have to work out a few details and then it will go up for sale. What is cool to me is that the entire part is made as one piece, even the pollution control tubes.
I am also working on a number of other products using this technology. Any ideas are welcome. I will be making some intakes for the 111 bikes also. Another project is to make a miniature electric fan and vent tube to blow air onto your crotch and thigh for those that have thigh burner bikes. It is a tight fit but I have found a small but powerful squirrel cage fan and I think I can make it tuck up neatly or I might make it look cool and replace the horn cover. It will have a switch to turn it on and off. I may use a motion detector to make it automatically turn on when you stop moving. Oh yeah, for those that don't know me I own and design products for Thunder Works and sell at www.IndianAftermarket.com Hurry up and thaw out so you will need the "Crotch Conditioner"
Camera accessory Camera lens Monocular Cameras & optics Lens

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I need someone to help me with this intake. Who wants a free intake for their Scout or Bobber? I will give one free unit to someone who can help me make sure this fits properly. If interested get back to me. I have some requirements. You will spend no money. Here is how it goes. I will send you a prototype. You will have to remove your gas tank and stock filter. Then fit this one on and take photos from many angles including up close. I want to see how it fits and how close to the side frames it is, etc. Also I need you to explain how it feels when you push it on to the throttle body. Next I will make some changes (I already know it needs plus any you point out) to the unit and make a new one for you. It will take about one week and then I will send it to you to use and keep. I will want more photos so I can post them on my website. I will also want you to talk about it on this forum for others to appreciate. So the drawback is your bike will be down for about two weeks. Some of you are in "no ride" zones for awhile anyway (too cold).

·
Banned
114 Posts
Ok. I need someone to help me with this intake. Who wants a free intake for their Scout or Bobber? I will give one free unit to someone who can help me make sure this fits properly. If interested get back to me. I have some requirements. You will spend no money. Here is how it goes. I will send you a prototype. You will have to remove your gas tank and stock filter. Then fit this one on and take photos from many angles including up close. I want to see how it fits and how close to the side frames it is, etc. Also I need you to explain how it feels when you push it on to the throttle body. Next I will make some changes (I already know it needs plus any you point out) to the unit and make a new one for you. It will take about one week and then I will send it to you to use and keep. I will want more photos so I can post them on my website. I will also want you to talk about it on this forum for others to appreciate. So the drawback is your bike will be down for about two weeks. Some of you are in "no ride" zones for awhile anyway (too cold).
Marcus, you know I’m always down for mods from you. Bike is in the shop right now, so if you don’t get any takers by the time I get her back, I’d be more than happy to make the trip down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
i can do it. As luck would have it (for you), my tank is currently off while I apply some graphics to it and while I install my Dobeck EJK and drilled out stock mufflers. I was going to install an aftermarket air filter this winter anyway, so I might as well try yours. I can get you the pics and info you need within a day of receiving the intake. The only downside- its about 26 degrees below zero and the middle of winter here in Wisconsin--- so I probably won't be able to get you actual ride and performance info until spring time. send me a PM if you want me to help out.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran into manufacturing problems. Finally got them worked out. I have begun producing units and delivered a few. I will have phots of installation in a week or so. (End of Mar 2019)

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, several customers were suppose to send me install photos and videos but I have not got any yet. In the mean time the designed has been changed a little. Mostly for 3D printing and cosmetic reasons. The concept still is the same. The filter is very large allowing great air flow and longer times between cleaning.
Air intake part Auto part

·
Registered
70 Posts
Actually, the intake is so big it can suck the entire bike inside of it and it is easy to

If you're still needing someone to install and do some photos. I would be willing to do it. Im currently in a boot that I get removed next Thursday and will be riding Friday and the weekend as much as can. Send me a PM you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Marcus,

Very interested in this product.

I would like to see some more photo's though.
Like one from each side, the bottom, and the front of the filter.
I assume the filter is K&N?

Just wondering what this intake is comparable too, as you know the next question will be does fuelmoto or dynojet have a tune for it....LOL.

4T

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are some more photos. I am still waiting to get installed photos but I can tell you it fills the area leaving enough room for air flow around the filter. The red band in the photo is a silicone band that stretches around the throttle body and seals the airbox.
Air intake part Auto part Automotive lighting Cylinder
Air intake part Auto part Muffler Cylinder Pipe
Auto part Rotor
Red Cola Coca-cola Auto part

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
This will be long. (maybe even incoherent)
This is a very good design and may be even a ground breaking design. The use of a sphere, instead of a turn, is actually a budding new science being investigated across industries. The spheres been around forever, but it's not been used much in terms of flow, and direction. It so far has proven to be quite successful. It flows much more, smooths out, equalises over all pressure, pressure points and even orientates its direction on nuclear level. We are currently looking into, and have gotten 5 new patents in regards to using spheres in any place a bend, or turn was used on our food processing machines with amazing results. This science will even find its way into the health market. In dialysis machines, we are seeing an 80% gain in efficiency, simply by using a sphere, rather than bends of which the blood runs through.
This improvement preserves much more of a patient's blood, so the return is much better. As in a patient would receive 80% more viable blood. It does so because there is less pressure needed, less friction, less heat, and less physical contact of fragile cells that renders them destroyed thus in viable.
In short, think if it this way.
A 180 degree turn using a sphere will be exactly the same effort as a 1 degree turn. Where as with a simple turn in a line, the characteristics of flow greatly differs when comparing 180 degree turn to a 1 degree.
Funny to think it took us this long to discover that the universe's natural most efficient and preferred shape of a sphere, was also relevant to flow....

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also feel like an air box reduces the initial resistance as air is being sucked into the intake. For a split second it is sucking air that is ready to go before it has to pull it through the filter material. I also have not found anyone else 3D printing usable intakes. Many make prototypes or a few 3D print metal ones for thousands of dollars. I am using a modified ABS that can withstand 300 degree temps and gas and oil exposure. It is very difficult to print with but I love it. I can design almost any shape I want. I did not know research was being done on sphere joints but obviously it makes sense to me. I know that 90 degree turns slow a fuild (or air) down quite a bit. So it seemed logical that giving the fluid (or air) more room to make the turn would help.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looking for an update.

Has anyone installed this product?

Have anything to share?

I am thinking when I do my 10K check up, switching to one of these.

4T

1 - 20 of 32 Posts