Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Picked up my new Indian Scout Sixty Bobber yesterday, and also a new 19" windscreen. My dilemma is, today when I pulled the new screen out of the box, I noticed the four bolts that secure the screen to the chrome mounting brackets were all very loose. At first I thought possibly they were just left loose to facilitate installation, which would make sense, but I saw no where in the directions where it says to tighten the bolts after installation. The screen feels pretty secure installed, so I wonder if it is designed that way so as not to be too rigid and avoid cracking as you drive and hit bumps and what not? I don't want to damage an almost $500 screen, but I see no guidance or anything on this matter... Now that the screen is installed should I tighten the bolts down or leave them loose? Any input is most appreciated!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hello! Picked up my new Indian Scout Sixty Bobber yesterday, and also a new 19" windscreen. My dilemma is, today when I pulled the new screen out of the box, I noticed the four bolts that secure the screen to the chrome mounting brackets were all very loose. At first I thought possibly they were just left loose to facilitate installation, which would make sense, but I saw no where in the directions where it says to tighten the bolts after installation. The screen feels pretty secure installed, so I wonder if it is designed that way so as not to be too rigid and avoid cracking as you drive and hit bumps and what not? I don't want to damage an almost $500 screen, but I see no guidance or anything on this matter... Now that the screen is installed should I tighten the bolts down or leave them loose? Any input is most appreciated!
Yes, you want them tight. Should be a hex on the outside (either 3 or4)? And a 10mm for the inside to tighten them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,597 Posts
Yes, you want them tight. Should be a hex on the outside (either 3 or4)? And a 10mm for the inside to tighten them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur. Just make sure they are nice and snug. Don't over tighten them. If they are over tight it could crack. It they are to loose the windshield might crack. I would suggest a dab of blue locktite and nice and snug...

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
If you don't use blue loctite, then you should periodically check them for tightness. I had one vibrate loose and I lost both the bolt and nut on a RM. Cost nearly $15 to replace. That's for one bolt, nut & rubber washer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts