Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is WOW! I was not expecting the new Scout to run like it did. Took one on a demo ride yesterday to see how it compares to my Chief . Totally different animal. More like a comfortable sport bike. This thing was a rocket. Never got it out of 3rd gear! Instant torque. I don't think there is ANY bike in its price range with this kind of performance! If anyone gets a chance to try one....do it! Post your thoughts and let us know what YOU think.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Was it comfortable?
I'm hearing they are for "normal" size people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Big daddy, I took a vacation day to head to Latrobe as well. I ride a Vintage but wanted to try the Scout also. I am 5'10' 185 and the Scout was just a little small , but still comfortable. I almost threw it all the way over when I stood it up from the kick stand it is that light and that low of a center of gravity. The thing is a blast to g through the curves and the power was amazing. I really handle the bumpy Pennsylvania roads well with the suspension nothing like my Sportster. After riding the Scout and a quiet 2015 Chieftain is when I realized how noisy by 2014 engine is.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Scout appears to be a FANTASTIC well built and Reliable machine. In fact due to feedback from demo rides I was told the only change that has happened was a re-flash to improve engine performance. Feedback is good. You don't really have to add anything to get it to preform as it should out of the box, unlike some others. Also this machine is so much fun to ride, I couldn't get the smile off my face long after I parked it. (got 4 rides yesterday 3 on a Scout and 1 Classic). The 430 mile round trip to Latrobe was worth it. I was still smiling when I got home. My wife asked if I was happy that I waited and ordered the Scout. You know the answer to that one. Hell yeah! My birthday is end of October, she is already asking what accessory she could get me for the Scout. Now that is a great wife.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Scout appears to be a FANTASTIC well built and Reliable machine. In fact due to feedback from demo rides I was told the only change that has happened was a re-flash to improve engine performance. Feedback is good. You don't really have to add anything to get it to preform as it should out of the box, unlike some others. Also this machine is so much fun to ride, I couldn't get the smile off my face long after I parked it. (got 4 rides yesterday 3 on a Scout and 1 Classic). The 430 mile round trip to Latrobe was worth it. I was still smiling when I got home. My wife asked if I was happy that I waited and ordered the Scout. You know the answer to that one. Hell yeah! My birthday is end of October, she is already asking what accessory she could get me for the Scout. Now that is a great wife.
"Reliability" is something that is going to take several years and a lot of bikes with lots of miles to determine. Right now to say any of the new Indians are reliable is meaningless speculation.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I don't know Barney.

I look at it like this....
If my Indian starts and runs EVERY TIME I hit the starter then it is reliable. 100% reliable.

Now, durability and longevity will be judged by time and time alone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rode the Scout yesterday and agree with most of what has been said here. It's small, light, and powerful with good handling characteristics and braking.
That being said, I personally didn't find it all that comfortable as ridden in the pure stock configuration.
I'm only 5' 10" and I felt like I was crowded into the tank and the bars were closer than I would have liked. Also the foot pegs were small and difficult to keep your boots firmly planted on.
All in all, a fun bike to ride for a short period of time close to home.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't know Barney.

I look at it like this....
If my Indian starts and runs EVERY TIME I hit the starter then it is reliable. 100% reliable.

Now, durability and longevity will be judged by time and time alone.
Semantics (-: Yeah, you're right durability and longevity is what I was refering to. I'm a little pissed at Polaris right now over the crappy leather and the 2nd gear problem that Polaris just seems to be ignoring. I called Polaris Tech last week and am awaiting a return phone call that they promised me after not returning my previous call after they said they would. I'm beginning to feel about Indian the way you felt about Harley after the Dealer told you they don't work on bikes over 10 years old. I still like the bike, but the honeymoon is over.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
My second gear problem has pretty much leveled off with a good warm up.
I'll let the bike warm up until the idle drops to 750-800 rpm.
During this time I will pull in the clutch several times.

Man, if I get in a hurry and don't do this?
A very stiff shift from 1st to 2nd. Even in 90 degree weather, 1st thing in the morning.
So, I suppose that is a problem but I have found the work around that works for me.

Fiebing's Oil Dye solved the leather problem for me...Solved or handled?
I guess time will tell how often I have to re-dye.
It looks better than new now and it has been a couple of months ago that I dyed it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My second gear problem has pretty much leveled off with a good warm up.
I'll let the bike warm up until the idle drops to 750-800 rpm.
During this time I will pull in the clutch several times.

Man, if I get in a hurry and don't do this?
A very stiff shift from 1st to 2nd. Even in 90 degree weather, 1st thing in the morning.
So, I suppose that is a problem but I have found the work around that works for me.

Fiebing's Oil Dye solved the leather problem for me...Solved or handled?
I guess time will tell how often I have to re-dye.
It looks better than new now and it has been a couple of months ago that I dyed it.
I used the Fiebings oil dye on mine 3 1/2 months and 7000 miles ago, it's now ready for another redye job. Not nearly as bad as the dead gray before the first redye job but it is starting to look bad again, in a different way. Splotchy and real light areas. I can understand having to apply a leather conditioner several times a year, but having to redye it 2 or 3 times a year is rediculous. On Indians Facebook Page I posted that I like the bike but a couple of problems Polaris has not addressed to my satisfaction. A couple of hours later I got a private email from Polaris asking that I email them back with the specifics on the problems, so they can assist me further. I did that last night, and am awaiting an answer.

BD, on your next oil change, use Mobil1 10W40 4T Racing Oil. It is a full synthetic specfically for motorcycles and is wet clutch compatable. It has the same SM rating as Indians oil so it will not harm the catalytic converter. Some Walmarts have it and the major auto parts stores have it, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. $10.99 at Auto Zone & Advance Auto. I used it at the 5000 mile oil change and several days later the 2nd gear problem dissappeared completely, 100%. At the 10,000 mile oil change, I used the Indian oil again, two days later the 2nd gear problem returned with a vengence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts