Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings-

We just bought an '18 Roadmaster, completely stock, 1,800 miles.

First of all, I've never owned or ridden an Indian before last week. My wife and I road a Roadmaster helping a friend that was interested in one, but didn't have much experience with big cruisers. We loved it so much that 2 days later my wife had me driving clear across the state to buy one she found on Cycletrader.com.

Anyway, all that being said, I'm not in love with the stock sound. I have V&H slips ons on my Road King and enjoy the throatier sound they provide. I'm looking for some assistance from the community in choosing a set up. I don't want anything too loud or it will frustrate my wife. I also don't want to be married to the Indian dealer. However in going through some of these threads, it would appear that even minor mods, such as just slip ons, required a change in the tune.

I'd love to e hear how others have set theirs up, pipes with and without changing the intake, and how they managed aftermarket tunes without affecting the warranty.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
First thing I bought for my Chieftain was Samson slip on exhaust (fishtails) I watched the soundbite on their website and ordered them,loved the look,sound was a deep rumble but just a bit too quiet for my taste(sounded louder on the website) subsequently,I chose Rineharts and am very pleased with them-nice deep rumble,and my bike ran excellent without a tuning device.However,I did add an intake and PV3 tuning device and those 2 additions really woke the bike up! Better power,better fuel economy,and less engine heat were my benefits.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Reinhardts sound fantastic on the 111. I think there’s a member selling a chrome set too. They’re a good balance between sound and tourability. You can get away with not tuning if you just do slip ons.

Reactions: R993

·
Rider
578 Posts
If you don’t want too loud, just a nice low tone. The V&H downturns can be had for cheap. Nice deep tone and not stupid loud. The Tab BAM sticks with louvered baffles have a great sound and not too loud. More money and a bit louder than the V&H though. Some Reinharts would fit the bill as well. Check the sales forums, someone’s always selling a set of pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor / bronze
3,024 Posts
There are several good choices for slip-ons for your bike. You can find lots of videos on YouTube. If you listen to a bunch, you can begin to tell which sound you like. Here is a video of the RC pipe we sell and I have them on my bike. I like the low rumble and loud but they are not obnoxious. Please note that I have the stage two cams installed which changes the rhythm a little. The first part of the video is how to install any slip-ons and the sound is near the end.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello THEWAYOUT, I like everybody else went through the same exhausting research but I ended up letting my dealer make the call. I was mostly interested in reducing heat and wasn't into loud so my dealer recommended the Fuel Moto Jackpot headers, stock pipes, stock A/C and an optional flash.
I followed his suggestion and could not be happier. Heat is reduced by 30, 40, 50%, Sound is amazing (louder than I would have thought but really liking it ) and 2 MPG improvement while pushing hard. $700 for header, free flash.
I really love this system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts