Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

New here from Phoenix.

As with anything there are pros and cons.

For same money I can get a brand new 2019 Scout 60 or a 2019 Scout bobber that is 3 months old and has 2k miles. Both with abs.

Its engine vs ride for me. My intent is to commute 40 miles each way 3x weekly to work. Mostly freeway.

Rode both. Enjoyed both. Nice to have extra hp for sure. The extra gear helps too. But I just feel like the 60 is setup better to more easily find amd add a flyscreen, solo rack, saddlebags, etc.

I welcome any feedback. Am I missing something in my logic.

Thanks! Look forward to having my Indian this coming week... one or the other!

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had the same dilemma. Ultimately, I knew I was going to commute to work daily, and maybe do some short tours.

So, I got the scout. Turned out to be the right choice, because I have since then taken overnight trips and multi state tours.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I do not own a Scout but 2k is not very many miles. I like cubic inches so I would probably go with the 69 in the Bobber. That is just me.

Test ride 60 and a 69 and you will probably figure out which one will work for your needs. Hopefully you can get them up to speed on the highway on test ride to see which one works best there.

·
Rider
436 Posts
I don't think you're missing anything. Both bikes are cool in my opinion but the bobber is slightly ahead in cool factor. Now for commuting, I think the Scout 60 will be better as far as the way you can set it up for commuting with bags, windscreen and such and it doesn't take too much away from it. Once you start setting up a bobber with that stuff, I feel it takes alot from the cool factor that is the bobber. Suspension on Scout 60 will be slightly better as well and most of everything for Scout 60 will be quick release so you can quickly go back to stripped down in no time. Also, don't let the 5 vs 6 gears bother you. The only gear missing is 5th in a 60.. The gear ratio in a 60 in 5th is the same as 6th gear in a bobber/Scout 69 so you don't lose any of that top end on the freeway during your commute

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, fortunately I rode both. Coming from a speed triple, you can guess how i felt about HP. Rode both on highway. It does make things easier to have power. But both are very capable. So I came home sold on the bobber. But then couldnt find a decent flyscreen or deflector option that fits over the cowl and I got thinking.

If i could find something that doesnt kill the lines of the bobber and mounts on handlebars not forks then I think I would be pretty happy. There is a solo rack out now that works with bobber rear fender, and I can throw a tail bag on, and maybe a small bag on front bars for phone and important crap.

Bit I agree. I dont wanna kill the bobbe rlook. It definately is cool. I dont need much crap on the boke honestly. But wind can be annoying ridong daily. Maybe I need a really good helmet upgrade. :)

I do not own a Scout but 2k is not very many miles. I like cubic inches so I would probably go with the 69 in the Bobber. That is just me.

Test ride 60 and a 69 and you will probably figure out which one will work for your needs. Hopefully you can get them up to speed on the highway on test ride to see which one works best there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I’d say get the one you like better. Commuting on either will be similar, the gear thing is played down from 60 guys and up from 69 guys. I like the 6 speed always seems to have the perfect gear. As said above it’s 5th that’s missing. No one ever wants less power so the 69 wins that argument easy...even know 60 guys will say “with a tune...blah, blah, blah”. Sure a tune can bring a 60 close to a stock 69 but a tuned 69 also can increase that gap.

Do not get into the 60 vs 69 argument, it’s mostly a “I have this vs I have this argument. “

buy what you want.

this is not a post to argue back and forth about the 60 vs 69, it’s just some info for OP to think about. No need to try to argue with me I won’t reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i own a bobber and this is so damn true lol. but its worth it for the look imo
Well in Arizona that wont happen much. And if does I wear full gear anyway. But yeah, the beauty of the bobber does have that as a drawback commuting

I am back to the drawing board, getting quotes for a 69. Seems like I may just want to take that route to get what I really need/want. Whats a few more Grand. Fingers crossed my dealer will work magic. Haha.

·
Rider
756 Posts
Greetings,

New here from Phoenix.

For same money I can get a brand new 2019 Scout 60 or a 2019 Scout bobber that is 3 months old and has 2k miles. Both with abs.

Its engine vs ride for me. My intent is to commute 40 miles each way 3x weekly to work. Mostly freeway.

Rode both. Enjoyed both. Nice to have extra hp for sure. The extra gear helps too. But I just feel like the 60 is setup better to more easily find amd add a flyscreen, solo rack, saddlebags, etc.

Cheers
Martin
Greetings,

New here from Phoenix.

Cheers
Martin
The 60’s a great bike,, it’s 999 cc or 60CI. Fun to ride, easy around town. Lots of people have 60’s,, most preferred are the scouts 69CI abs. Why,, well,, maybe more is better, either one is fine for what you want to do. There is a bobber 69CI.. hell,, ride um all and see witch one feels right . I picked the scout icon abs,, it’s right for me. I really like it, fast , fun , very cool,, I ask myself.. “ what’s not to like “.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Get a Scout 69 and throw on a Dart Marlin flyscreen. Enough wind protection for your chest and wear a fullface helmet. Buy any accessories you desire to meet your needs. The Scouts change looks with a simple seat and handlebar swaps, and take an even different look with other bits put on or taken off. Enjoy your future ride

·
Administrator
15,470 Posts
Welcome, Martin! Plenty of great bobber and Scout owners here, so you’ll get some great input. Either way, you’ll be grinning next week!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
yrs ago i had the hd sporty, somewhat similar to the scout/bobber. love the style for around town, but when i wanted to ride to next state started looking at tour / baggers. last 6 or so bikes been the baggers. Pack a lunch put the wet weather gear an rest in tour packs an on ya way. Now riding a Road Master. I got good speed an plenty of comfort. Put the tunes on an i'm happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So uodate, I now have 3 options that I have been tormenting the dealer over.

The black 2019 abs bobber is cheapest and with discounts its the cheapest vs a 60 and 69 because it is 3 months old and has 2k on it so i avoid a bunch of new bike fee crap. Really is a good buy. I loved riding it. But will I love it for a 36 mile commute 2x a week.

If I can figure out an easy way to do a handlebar mounted flyscreen or wind protector then I cant see why not. No its not the absolute best cpmmuter setup. But cant be that bad for an easy highway cruise in the hov .. am I wrong? Or do I soend 4k more and get a stamdard scout? Can do a lot with 4k to make the bobbwr my own. Solo seat, small tail bag, phone mount, little clip on deflector, etc..

Would it be bad of i just took the cowl off and fitted a dart? Anyone try fitting the ftr defkector? would that be bobber taboo..

Really I just want one change.. a small flyscreen. Rest is good.

Hmmm. Its a good problem to solve. My dealer cant wait till I drive off.

·
Registered
875 Posts

The black 2019 abs bobber is cheapest and with discounts its the cheapest vs a 60 and 69 because it is 3 months old and has 2k on it so i avoid a bunch of new bike fee crap. Really is a good buy. I loved riding it. But will I love it for a 36 mile commute 2x a week.

If I can figure out an easy way to do a handlebar mounted flyscreen or wind protector then I cant see why not. No its not the absolute best cpmmuter setup. But cant be that bad for an easy highway cruise in the hov .. am I wrong? Or do I soend 4k more and get a stamdard scout? Can do a lot with 4k to make the bobbwr my own. Solo seat, small tail bag, phone mount, little clip on deflector, etc..

Whatbit be bad of i just took the cowl off andnfitted a dart? Or would that be bobber taboo..lol.

If money is the issue, wait for a used Scout or get a 60.

It's easier to make a Scout into a Bobber thing than the other way around.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Would it be bad of i just took the cowl off and fitted a dart? Anyone try fitting the ftr defkector? would that be bobber taboo..

go with what you like and damn the issues. they are nothing a little money cant fix! different bars and seat and i rode mine on a 450ish mile trip to Galveston TX for the lone star rally.

·
Rider
436 Posts

The cowl on a bobber protects the wiring for headlight and other things. The bobber doesn't have a headlight bucket like other scouts so once you take the cowl off, you'll see a velcro pouch looking deal that the wires are contained in. You'll need to buy a scout headlight bucket and trim ring to run a scout windscreen because you'll need to put the wires in the bucket to protect/hide them for a clean look

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great feedback. Thank you all.

Still mulling this over. Do you think a clip on universal deflector could be fitted to the cowl to deflect some wind without removing that cowl? That way its easy to remove when not needed?

How about then ftr's deflector accy with the cowl cut.. looks like it mounts on bars? I wonder if that would fit.

See.. i am motivated to sell myself on that bobber. Dealership made it hard to say no and urban riding it and short highway test made me fall in love. But will that last after a few weeks commuting?

Background, my last bike was a Triumph Speed Triple. Had it 4 years. That thing only had a small cowl. Rodenot 30k miles. Sold for a hybrid car. Dumb. But now 3 years later and I am 50, and not imterested in tippy toes anymore. I am 5'7 with 29" inseam. Sitting on an Indian changed everything for me.

So no wrong decision. Spend less and get 3 month old Bobber. Spend same and get 2020 Sixty. Spend 2k more and get 69. Argh.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Great feedback. Thank you all.

Still mulling this over. Do you think a clip on universal deflector could be fitted to the cowl to deflect some wind without removing that cowl? That way its easy to remove when not needed?

How about then ftr's deflector accy with the cowl cut.. looks like it mounts on bars? I wonder if that would fit.

See.. i am motivated to sell myself on that bobber. Dealership made it hard to say no and urban riding it and short highway test made me fall in love. But will that last after a few weeks commuting?

Background, my last bike was a Triumph Speed Triple. Had it 4 years. That thing only had a small cowl. Rodenot 30k miles. Sold for a hybrid car. Dumb. But now 3 years later and I am 50, and not imterested in tippy toes anymore. I am 5'7 with 29" inseam. Sitting on an Indian changed everything for me.

So no wrong decision. Spend less and get 3 month old Bobber. Spend same and get 2020 Sixty. Spend 2k more and get 69. Argh.
Buy the 60 and spend the 2k on suspension, screen and whatever else you desire. The Bobber will let you down when you want to do distance with its poor shock travel and uncomfortable seat

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
When your prostate goes numb you might see the Bobber as less cool. LOL
I have a 60 and have not ridden a 69. But looking that the graphs, to get the benefit of the extra umph of the 69 you gotta keep those RPMs up there and humming. 5400 RPM is a little high for peak torque and HP for most riding. Since the 60 & 69 are pretty damn closeup to that point you got to push the 69 to get its extra stuff. I rarely, unless I am straight line humping it for fun, get the bike over 4500 RPM. As far as highways are concerned, since the 60's 5th is the same as the 69's 6th, and at 80 I only hit 4200 RPMs in 5th, I don't see the benefit. All of the Scouts are very peppy bikes, but you're not going to outrun a crotch rocket on a cruiser.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts