Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if Indian will be making the Chief in Dark Horse or Bomber Model. I'm looking to by a New Indian Chief but willing to wait if I new they will be producing one of these models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You know how company secrets are. They will most likely release new models at Sturgis or something; just going off of what they did last year. I would like to see an Indian with a 2000cc engine. Polaris has the forward thinking engineers that can make it happen and still hold true to Indian style.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
The Motorcycle.com Article reads:

"New certification documents from the California Air Resources Board reveal a model name for Indian Motorcycle apparently in the pipeline for the 2016 model year: the Chief Dark Horse.

The CARB executive order certifies the new 2016 Indian Chief Dark Horse, indicating it uses the same 1811cc Thunder Stroke 111 V-Twin engine powering the Chief Classic,Chief Vintage, Chieftain and Roadmaster. The emissions test results are similar to those of the 2014 and 2015 models, suggesting no major engine updates.

The document also lists the Dark Horse’s “equivalent inertial mass” (EIM) at 470 kg (1036 pounds), or 10 kg lighter than the Chief Classic. The EIM approximates the fully loaded inertial weight of the vehicle and is not to be confused with the dry or wet weights. Still, at 22 pounds lighter than the Chief Classic, we can expect the Dark Horse to have a fully-fueled weight of around 800 pounds.

Based on Indian’s recent history, we expect to hear official details about the Dark Horse atSturgis this summer, if not sooner. The Dark Horse may not be the only new Indian coming soon. Indian Motorcycle filed a trademark application for the name “Indian Springfield“, a reference to the company’s original home in Springfield, Mass."

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,868 Posts
Hate to say it, but with the problems the Scout has and the Slingshot recall, is Polaris really ready to launch another bike?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hate to say it, but with the problems the Scout has and the Slingshot recall, is Polaris really ready to launch another bike?
It's probably just a blacked out Chief. Nothing really new. That's just my guess. I know the Dark Horse a few years ago looked pretty cool.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Hey Man, it only makes sense; given the costs of ushering a new powerplant/chassis design through the ever more smothering jungle of government regulation, sticking with an approved unit and changing up the tins and, maybe the front forks, is a smart move. I owned a '46 Knucklehead 74" for 25 years. Every couple of years I'd tear it down for a freshen-up, and I'd often swap on a new set of tins and maybe changed up the front end, sometimes a wide-glide, or perhaps a springer ( I ran a set of Norton Commando forks with the Lockheed disc brake for awhile), and folks would ask, "New bike?"
"Naw...", I'd say, "just changed her up a little."
--- Randall

·
Registered
970 Posts
should be easy for them though.
flat paint
leave off the add-ons

unless they have something else up their sleeve with it.
I'll go to the Chicago debut if the temp is over 50.
I just can't see the ride being that fun for me if it's winter cold

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What would really make no sense would be for them to delay release of a model they already had in the planning stages, one that is based off a different platform than the ones they are having problems with, just because the Scout and Slingshot are having issues. I'm sure Polaris has (at least) a 5 year road map of models they are working to produce. To delay production of unaffected new models would be counterproductive from a business standpoint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts