Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
interesting how so many balk at the price of the upgrade as we ride around on $15k-$30k toys that we spend thousands on for all other accessories like seats, exhaust, performance upgrades, paint, etc. but spending a few hundred more for an improved headlight is just out of the question.

any chance at showing us how it shines on the road at night? that would be the most useful photos you could provide.
Bit of a difference between a few which normally means a couple 2 to 3 maybe and 6. Now if your running Night twistys daily I get it. But honestly with my spots and headlight on I see great at night. Maybe Eliminating the spots wasn’t to bright excuse the pun !

·
Bronze member
1,843 Posts
interesting how so many balk at the price of the upgrade as we ride around on $15k-$30k toys that we spend thousands on for all other accessories like seats, exhaust, performance upgrades, paint, etc. but spending a few hundred more for an improved headlight is just out of the question.

any chance at showing us how it shines on the road at night? that would be the most useful photos you could provide.
This argument works on oil threads, but not here. People have budgets/prioritites and this replacement is not a necessity, especially since the stock light isn't so bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This argument works on oil threads, but not here. People have budgets/prioritites and this replacement is not a necessity, especially since the stock light isn't so bad.
Yeah, but you don't get people coming on as much saying that seat cost to much, that paint is to expensive, or that slip on is overpriced compared to the number that do that with the headlight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"necessity". the motorcycle is not a necessity. and every single thing you customize on it is not a necessity. is a $1000 heated seat a necessity? $1000 of added chrome? some people place increased visibility at night higher on their priority list than $1500+ worth of exhaust and air intake and fuel programming upgrades. while $600 is comparatively a lot for a headlight, people routinely pay hundreds for passing lamps for the extra light. and it will definitely improve your visibility versus the stock light. and $600 is still less than a ton of other upgrades you do on a bike that do nothing to increase your safety. maybe "necessity" isn't really the argument to be made here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agreed the necessity is not the the issue. It’s the F*cking insane prices for a mere headlight today !:LOL:
Is not a mere headlight, there's accelerometers or inertial sensors or whatever to calculate lean angle to know which segments need to be lit up. Can't just be a simple gravity switch because of the balance of centripetal and centrifugal forces with gravity.
It's a lot more than a bulb and a reflective bowl.
If you want a mere headlight, even LED, there are a lot of cheaper options.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Yowza. $550 for a headlight? I hope the OP likes it. It has to be quite a step up from the new LED headlight AND driving light bulbs (all replacement bulbs) I just got from Rivco for about $170 — not the whole headlight, but they are bright as crap as far as I can tell. Anyway, congrats on the new illumination — and that’s one gorgeous bike!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Anyone who hasn't seen the video from JWSpeaker should go take a look. The tech is impressive. A member riding a Challenger got one and loves it. He does the majority of his riding at night with roads that have lots of curves.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Anyone who hasn't seen the video from JWSpeaker should go take a look. The tech is impressive. A member riding a Challenger got one and loves it. He does the majority of his riding at night with roads that have lots of curves.
See now that’s a man who should have one can’t put a price on life ! But a lot of people just like to say I have one, which is fine it’s your money make yourself happy with it

·
Registered
598 Posts
Agreed. I think the frustration comes from so many people dismissing it out of hand without looking into it properly. I've gone back and forth for months trying to determine if it's worth it. I don't ride much at night but how many other places in our life do manage by the exception instead of the rule.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I upgraded my Scrambler's headlight after the first time I unexpectedly ended up out after dark. LED wasn't really around, so I did HID. Ditched that shortly after a bulb failure took out both my high and low beam and I personally realized how bad it could've been (it was inclement weather, I could see, but I was hard for others to see).
Been happily running a Trucklite since then with the occasional thought of upgrading it to an adaptive light. Already having a really good light, it isn't worth it on that bike.
The Indian still has halogen, so I'll be upgrading to an LED and it will most likely be an adaptive. Especially now that they are down from the original $800~900 price.
At $500, it wouldn't even be a question for me to upgrade. So there's my price point :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
So, after the update on the Indian website, those headlights can be found.
Use 2884442 in a search and you can pick from chrome or black. 2884860 for the older ('16 to '18) bikes.

No mention of a warranty past a year, warranty link still just takes you to the one year accessories info.
Also says currently unavailable...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I truly doubt that it’s only a fit on the 2020 models. That would be pretty stupid on Polaris’ part if they want to sell accessories.
But they have a history on labeling limited fitment for accessories when they are retro back to earlier model years.
No but it is a smart thing to do if they want to encourage you to buy new. Think about it. Just as recent as the 2017 model they no longer sell grips that will fit that bike. Grips are an accessory many people buy but you can’t buy upgraded (Select) grips for that bike through Indian. Keeping accessories backward compatible is not a main priority for Indian.

Even their upgraded sound packages are not compatible with models older than 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
The Indian web site says

Pathfinder Adaptive LED Headlight, Chrome
Item # 2884442-156

$799.99 CAD

Coming January 2021

This product is in production and will be available for purchase soon.

Unfortunately says that it does not fit my 2014 Indian Chieftain

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't do a large amount of night riding but I can tell you this. If I was, I would without question look into a headlight/passing lamps such as JWS or Custom Dynamics. For me its a matter of safety. I recently had my lighting replaced and went with Eagle Lights. Under $300 for the package and the amount of light they throw forward is a huge difference from the stock halogen bulbs. Really depends on your riding pattern (day vs. night) and what you are willing to sacrifice as far as safety is concerned. Just my
$.02.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 100 Posts