Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,740 Posts
Has it a glass or polycarbonate lens and what is the IP rating? Be interested as I had issues of moisture ingress historically with the first generation JWS 8700 which had a glass lens and a lower IP rating. The second generation had polycarbonate lenses which whilst more durable in an impact was not so hard wearing. As with the Harley Davidson Daymakers I think this will be a rebranded JWS production perhaps? Love the adaptive concept but my Indian came with a very capable LED and need to justify the expense. This may become the latest ‘must have’ that I don’t really need?
I’ve had both and while I can’t speak for the Indian accessory adaptive light, I can tell you there is no comparison between the OEM LED light and the JW Speaker Adaptive lights. The difference is like night and day.
But I will add that there is only value to a rider that does a fair amount on night riding. I do, with heavy tree canopy covering most of the moonlight. I wouldn’t ride without improved lighting.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Tossed a superbright 4000k led in my Chieftain headlight. Works good. I find that the color spectrum of the leds affects the daytime visibility. 5000k and above are too blue.
The hologen bulbs are, I am guessing here, 3000k. Easier to see unless the leds are really bright and well made.
I still have hologen in the highway lights.
The yellow tint of hologen gives the Chieftain a nice classic look

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Cost has to be balanced against usage and gain. 2010 I had a motorcycle with a standard incandescent headlight and did a lot of night time cross country commuting. Winter time it was dark when I set off for work and dark on the way home. The standard light was woefully inadequate even uprating the fuse and headlight bulb to an off-road 100/130 watt. LED headlights were a new concept back then and I spent an eye watering $576 in your money at todays exchange rate for a JWS 8700. The improvement was profound. Nevertheless after a few weeks the bloody lens fogged up and crystal like deposits started forming inside. Having spent so much I was gutted. They claimed to have a Goretex breather fitted. On further investigation this breather was simply a small round dot of tape adhered over a hole at the rear of the aluminum housing. Once moisture got inside there was not enough heat generated to burn it off. In the end I gently removed the tape, heated the light gently in the oven and had to seal the hole completely whilst the light was warm to create a sealed vacuum. I swore then I would never go back to JWS. Nevertheless both my bikes came with JWS produced lights as standard. They have come a long way but both my current headlights still continue to fog up a little bit.
Odd... I have a JWS on three bikes. No issues here.
What I have that I would like to correct is a 2010 KM with a halogen light that now looks dim compared to the LED lights on the other bikes.

You may not want to spend $600 on a headlight. I hear you. If you ride a lot a night, on dark roads with twists, it may be beneficial. If you don't ride much at night, or the roadways are lighted, like a nice stretch of interstate highway, then I personally would not spend the money on an adaptive headlight. The same can hold true if you have really good driving lights that light up the ditches. Regardless, my '17 RM had great LED driving lights. However, the headlight sucked. It left plenty of shadows and did not really throw enough light to any distance. After replacing the headlight with a JWS adaptive light, in smoked out lens. I decided to change the driving lights to match. Again, I will repeat, the Roadmaster LED driving lights are good. Not wanting to waste them, they were re-purposed onto the 2010KM. Now, I can see to sides of the road at night. I just need to install a resistor to eliminate the error code.

I am a fan of adaptive headlights on motorcycles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can think of 525 reasons why not. Many other options for a lot less. Sorry but I just can’t see any reason to justify spending that kind of hard earned cash for a headlight. It’s insane!!
It's base price is actually right in line with what a quality, adaptive headlight costs ($600~650 at Revzilla for the JW Speaker, which this almost certainly is)

There are cheap Chinese knock offs, but in every comparison I've seen, they have either low output, poor beam pattern, or worse.
Non adaptive, they do slightly better, but at under $200, I'll stick with my trucklite LED for my scrambler but want to get one of these for my Springfield DH

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothing showing on the indian website. I want to buy these for my Springfield DH if it comes in black like the JWS adaptive ones do.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I am pretty sure Polaris has made a deal with JW Speaker, along with Custom Dynamics, as JW Speaker owns the patent..
Amazon has them.for $519.

Reactions: WarSquirrel

·
Registered
88 Posts
interesting how so many balk at the price of the upgrade as we ride around on $15k-$30k toys that we spend thousands on for all other accessories like seats, exhaust, performance upgrades, paint, etc. but spending a few hundred more for an improved headlight is just out of the question.

Took 10 minutes to do.
any chance at showing us how it shines on the road at night? that would be the most useful photos you could provide.

·
Bronze member
1,740 Posts
interesting how so many balk at the price of the upgrade as we ride around on $15k-$30k toys that we spend thousands on for all other accessories like seats, exhaust, performance upgrades, paint, etc. but spending a few hundred more for an improved headlight is just out of the question.
Reminds me of my days riding the 113 c.i. Yamaha bikes. That motor needed very little if anything to make it perform. But the suspension was soft and nearly dangerous. Yet hardly anyone wanted to spend money to bring the handling up to the level of the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I am pretty sure Polaris has made a deal with JW Speaker, along with Custom Dynamics, as JW Speaker owns the patent..

If you select the adaptive headlight option custom dynamics wants $729! At that rate the a Indian price is a bargain. But it says it’s only for the 2020 Indian models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,740 Posts
If you select the adaptive headlight option custom dynamics wants $729! At that rate the a Indian price is a bargain. But it says it’s only for the 2020 Indian models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I truly doubt that it’s only a fit on the 2020 models. That would be pretty stupid on Polaris’ part if they want to sell accessories.
But they have a history on labeling limited fitment for accessories when they are retro back to earlier model years.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I truly doubt that it’s only a fit on the 2020 models. That would be pretty stupid on Polaris’ part if they want to sell accessories.
But they have a history on labeling limited fitment for accessories when they are retro back to earlier model years.
I suppose JW Speaker could have made a slightly different model for the 2020 bikes - I doubt it. Or, Indian could have made a modification to the headlight bucket. I had to trim the bucket on my '17 RM and wife's '16 Chieftain to get the light to fit.

·
Bronze member
1,740 Posts
I suppose JW Speaker could have made a slightly different model for the 2020 bikes - I doubt it. Or, Indian could have made a modification to the headlight bucket. I had to trim the bucket on my '17 RM and wife's '16 Chieftain to get the light to fit.
I had to trim the bucket on my 2016 to get the original Adaptive light to fit. The Adaptive 2 has a smaller heat sink and dropped right into my wife’s 2019.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I had to trim the bucket on my 2016 to get the original Adaptive light to fit. The Adaptive 2 has a smaller heat sink and dropped right into my wife’s 2019.
Ok.. So I was cheap and bought the Gen 1 models.
:giggle:

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
47 Posts

Sadly, I've seen in two locations on JW Speaker's website that they won't warranty lights bought on Amazon (they had several retailers specifically listed, but Amazon was the only one listed in the two locations I looked at).

I was also surprised to see condensation as specifically not covered by warranty.

I'm also curious, they warranty their lights for 5 years, but Indian lists most of what I've seen at 1 year. I'd love to see if Indian does 1 or 5 years on theirs.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Reminds me of my days riding the 113 c.i. Yamaha bikes. That motor needed very little if anything to make it perform. But the suspension was soft and nearly dangerous. Yet hardly anyone wanted to spend money to bring the handling up to the level of the rest of the bike.
A few hundred is 400 less then 600. And let’s be realistic here. Indians accessories are ridiculous even in comparison to the infamous overpriced HD. Like a tourpak which is $3500 vs HD which is $980 holds more and weighs 35 lbs less. Passenger boards crash bars all literally double and more. Just stating the facts here. I have a 2018 which still has the spot lights in the fairing With all 3 on i. See just fine. Something I thought they never should have gotten away from. JMO but a few hundred is still not $600 bit of a difference. Lol I can’t believe a single headlight is that kind of money. If your night riding twisted roads daily ok I can maybe that for life’s safety.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts