Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is that a Chief? I ride a Scout and I like be the details on your bike. The black engine looks great and I love the matte black. If you posted a pic of the whole bike it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Thanks and congrats on a beautiful machine.

John

·
Rider
803 Posts
Has it a glass or polycarbonate lens and what is the IP rating? Be interested as I had issues of moisture ingress historically with the first generation JWS 8700 which had a glass lens and a lower IP rating. The second generation had polycarbonate lenses which whilst more durable in an impact was not so hard wearing. As with the Harley Davidson Daymakers I think this will be a rebranded JWS production perhaps? Love the adaptive concept but my Indian came with a very capable LED and need to justify the expense. This may become the latest ‘must have’ that I don’t really need?

·
Not for much longer
391 Posts
New Indian Adaptive LED for $525

That is insane!!

·
Not for much longer
391 Posts
I can think of 525 reasons why not. Many other options for a lot less. Sorry but I just can’t see any reason to justify spending that kind of hard earned cash for a headlight. It’s insane!!

·
Rider
803 Posts
Cost has to be balanced against usage and gain. 2010 I had a motorcycle with a standard incandescent headlight and did a lot of night time cross country commuting. Winter time it was dark when I set off for work and dark on the way home. The standard light was woefully inadequate even uprating the fuse and headlight bulb to an off-road 100/130 watt. LED headlights were a new concept back then and I spent an eye watering $576 in your money at todays exchange rate for a JWS 8700. The improvement was profound. Nevertheless after a few weeks the bloody lens fogged up and crystal like deposits started forming inside. Having spent so much I was gutted. They claimed to have a Goretex breather fitted. On further investigation this breather was simply a small round dot of tape adhered over a hole at the rear of the aluminum housing. Once moisture got inside there was not enough heat generated to burn it off. In the end I gently removed the tape, heated the light gently in the oven and had to seal the hole completely whilst the light was warm to create a sealed vacuum. I swore then I would never go back to JWS. Nevertheless both my bikes came with JWS produced lights as standard. They have come a long way but both my current headlights still continue to fog up a little bit.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Also you have to remember it wasn’t $525 until after they took off the temporary $75 discount.

So the normal price for the single headlight is $600 which will normally go up $10-$20 next year like all of their popular accessories do.

I use to think that Harley Davidson accessories were expensive

Also I see that Indian looks like they came out with a new and improved Pathfinder 7” headlight that only works on the 2020 models. That’s a bummer since I just bought a brand new 2019 from a dealer.

With all that being said, I am one of the suckers that will probably buy one because it has the Indian brand on it

Also I’m sure it is a good quality product though might not be the cheapest alternative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 94 Posts