Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We celebrate each new bike with a new helmet. Not vanity, it's really a good idea to get a new helmet every 2-3-4 years (fiberglass breaks down naturally). I am probably crazy for asking this crew for fashion advice, but which of the three do you prefer? Left to right, Bell, Ruby and Biltwell.

And knowing where these threads sometime lead, I beg you not to use this thread to:

1. Discuss bike delivery schedule
2. Discuss pros and cons of open vs. full vs. no helmet
3. Air your opinions on helmet laws, tea party and Obama
4. Whine about Polaris/Indian
5. Even mention Harley and how badly they suck and how their riders are Neanderthals who never wave back
6. Tell me that fit is more important than appearance and that's a personal choice (I know).

Thanks! :)

helmets for Indian.jpg

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Ha ... I am EXACTLY the same way! I ordered a new black/gray HJC full face for my Scout. I'm also going to treat myself with Bluetooth audio. If you have the opportunity to try them on, get the one that fits/feels the best. Working at a dealership, some co-workers rib me for buying a HJC over Shoei/Arai helmets. I tell them I buy what feels the best as I'm more likely to wear it. That said, very cool and old school. Just like my very first Bell Star back in 1973 :)

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ... I am EXACTLY the same way! I ordered a new black/gray HJC full face for my Scout. I'm also going to treat myself with Bluetooth audio. If you have the opportunity to try them on, get the one that fits/feels the best. Working at a dealership, some co-workers rib me for buying a HJC over Shoei/Arai helmets. I tell them I buy what feels the best as I'm more likely to wear it. That said, very cool and old school. Just like my very first Bell Star back in 1973 :)
So which of the three do you suggest?

I am not big on audio while I ride (unless pillion or off-road). Over-caffeinated, texting blond soccer moms in Suburbans everywhere around here. I want to hear them coming...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Bell.. The bubble shield is awesome, yet removable if so desired.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've always liked the retro Bell helmets, and ordered myself a 500 RSD Check It to go with my new Thunder Black Scout (and yes, the BELL logo plastered above the forehead peels right off).
Of the ones you chose, I like the look of the Bell best and the graphics on the Biltwell best (least Japanese flag look), but have never tried one on to know if I like the helmet itself.

Bell 500 RSD Check It.JPG

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always liked the retro Bell helmets, and ordered myself a 500 RSD Check It to go with my new Thunder Black Scout (and yes, the BELL logo plastered right above the forehead peels right off).

View attachment 3765

Of the ones you chose, I like the look of the Bell best and the graphics on the Biltwell best (least Japanese flag look), but have never tried one on to know if I like the helmet itself.
That's a gorgeous helmet. Bell really stepped up their game and I will let them take my money on an open face when the Sporty is finished. They have an RSD one for the Bullit (full-face), but it's too '70s for the Scout.

·
Registered
656 Posts
From the pic's I would choose the Bitwell - just like the look the best. I also am looking into a new helmet and HJC are the only ones so far that are comfortable - Shoei and Arai just don't work on my head shape.. How are these for vents etc?

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's a gorgeous helmet. Bell really stepped up their game and I will let them take my money on an open face when the Sporty is finished. They have an RSD one for the Bullit (full-face), but it's too '70s for the Scout.
I think of the Bullitt helmets, the Blue Flake is my absolute favorite, followed by a standard Black or plain White. The RSD one is pretty 70's.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the pic's I would choose the Bitwell - just like the look the best. I also am looking into a new helmet and HJC are the only ones so far that are comfortable - Shoei and Arai just don't work on my head shape.. How are these for vents etc?
These are equally comfortable for me. Not the precise fit of an Arai or a Shoei or Suomy, but good enough.

They are equally bad on the venting. The Ruby and Bell have vent holes which are for looks more than function. The opening on the bottom is pretty wide and in varying degrees the screen lets air in. But in general, these live up to their retro design with retro air circulation. The Biltwell have fabric lining which is less clammy then the leather on the other two in hot climates.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We celebrate each new bike with a new helmet. Not vanity, it's really a good idea to get a new helmet every 2-3-4 years (fiberglass breaks down naturally). I am probably crazy for asking this crew for fashion advice, but which of the three do you prefer? Left to right, Bell, Ruby and Biltwell.

And knowing where these threads sometime lead, I beg you not to use this thread to:

5. Even mention Harley and how badly they suck and how their riders are Neanderthals who never wave back
6. Tell me that fit is more important than appearance and that's a personal choice (I know).

View attachment 3764
I got the Bell Pit Boss, black, love it. I was considering painting it though to perhaps match my Scout seat.

I love your caveats, especially whining. We are riders, no whiners :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I went with the Bell Drifter. It has a strap on the back to anchor my goggles under, a size adjuster to get a
perfect fit and most of all.. it's light. Add to that, you can snap one up for under $50 as evidently, it is being
fazed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you get the Ruby, I will make the trip up to D-town to steal it off of your bike, maybe even your head...

For my money, I went with the Bullitt. I have a Biltwell 3/4 as well and I like it, but don't love it. Sits a little wide on my dome piece. The Bell hangs a little lower on the neck and I realized that I like that when I went back to the Biltwell for a few days. I also prefer the chin bar on the Bell over the ******.

Take away: Get the Ruby so I can steal it, and then buy a Bell to replace it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Oh yeah... Harley's suck. Obama. Full face is preferential because life. If you have any other opinions, you are dumb and should not internet anymore. Delivery of my bike is not the way that I want it to be. Don't buy into vanity. Helmets are for protection.

Go Local Sports Team!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

View attachment 3764
My full face helmets are both modular. I have trouble with getting the closed type over my head because of my glasses

·
Registered
558 Posts
With all the conditions. I got nothing to add. Back to the boring threads...

Reactions: Cindy

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just a simple vote... Is that too much for a girl to want?
Gotta realize Meggie - they really didn't READ what you were asking.. my vote was for the Biltwell. Hope you get what you asked for..;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.