Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes! Just successfully installed my new iron horse driving lights (IronHorseLights.com). I'm quite pleased with myself, considering I've zero experience working on bikes, other than oil change. Have to admit I was nervous as he11 doing it myself, but just despised the thought of paying someone else to work on Warhammer.
Dealer installed headlight for me (shout out to Heritage Indian of NW Arkansas! You guys rock!). Headlight was so great that when the driving lights were on at night it looked like two candles (stock lights) next to a helicopter floodlight. Sad. So, I splurged on the driving lights from ironhorselights.com. As I age (hey, only 47) I find white light rocks for night riding.
After judicious searching I found directions on removing fairing from my 2016 Chieftain (Chief Motorcycle Forum - Indian Motorcycles - sorry, screenshot doesn't show the outstanding member who posted which screws to remove).
We'll, four porters and three hours later I've finished. Yep, I'm slow, and methodical. I lay out screws/parts exactly the way I remove them, then reverse procedure reassembling. I take my time and don't stress it. If it doesn't like me up, take a break, wait a few minutes, breathe. ;)
If you're like me, & live seeing clearly at night, I suggest these lights. Out-flipping-standing! Would go for a ride (it's 0240), but grandson is crashed & I wouldn't drink & ride until back to.00.
Hopefully I can attach some photos.
Enjoying life, lovin the ride - Noble

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
First mod I did to my DH and then to my CDH...fantastic lights

Reactions: Noble6

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Yes! Just successfully installed my new iron horse driving lights (IronHorseLights.com). I'm quite pleased with myself, considering I've zero experience working on bikes, other than oil change. Have to admit I was nervous as he11 doing it myself, but just despised the thought of paying someone else to work on Warhammer.
Dealer installed headlight for me (shout out to Heritage Indian of NW Arkansas! You guys rock!). Headlight was so great that when the driving lights were on at night it looked like two candles (stock lights) next to a helicopter floodlight. Sad. So, I splurged on the driving lights from ironhorselights.com. As I age (hey, only 47) I find white light rocks for night riding.
After judicious searching I found directions on removing fairing from my 2016 Chieftain (Chief Motorcycle Forum - Indian Motorcycles - sorry, screenshot doesn't show the outstanding member who posted which screws to remove).
We'll, four porters and three hours later I've finished. Yep, I'm slow, and methodical. I lay out screws/parts exactly the way I remove them, then reverse procedure reassembling. I take my time and don't stress it. If it doesn't like me up, take a break, wait a few minutes, breathe. ;)
If you're like me, & live seeing clearly at night, I suggest these lights. Out-flipping-standing! Would go for a ride (it's 0240), but grandson is crashed & I wouldn't drink & ride until back to.00.
I'm sorry to hear that you were ripped off for led lights. You could have bought the same ones on Amazon for a few hundred cheaper.
Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (53).png

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you were ripped off for led lights. You could have bought the same ones on Amazon for a few hundred cheaper.
View attachment 61330
1 year warranty on the Amazon piece...lifetime warranty on the Iron Horse....just saying I don't feel
ripped off

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
1 year warranty on the Amazon piece...lifetime warranty on the Iron Horse....just saying I don't feel
ripped off
The warranty is only as good as the charmin that its written on. If he goes out of business or decides that one set is all he wants to "warranty" then you are screwed. You could have purchased almost 3 sets at its current price for what he charges, and the price on these things are only gonna go down as all technology does. Just a few years ago you were paying over $500 for just the 7in light. Not even including the driving lamps.

You can feel not ripped off if it makes you feel better, but it wont change the fact that this guy is ripping people off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice lights... That's gonna be one of my next upgrades. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Noble6

·
Registered
91 Posts
The warranty is only as good as the charmin that its written on. If he goes out of business or decides that one set is all he wants to "warranty" then you are screwed. You could have purchased almost 3 sets at its current price for what he charges, and the price on these things are only gonna go down as all technology does. Just a few years ago you were paying over $500 for just the 7in light. Not even including the driving lamps.

You can feel not ripped off if it makes you feel better, but it wont change the fact that this guy is ripping people off.
I agree that you can buy cheaper lights, and maybe this not a bad deal. But I don't believe they are
the same light. I saw these along with some ebay stuff before I bought the Iron Horse lights and I
felt that the $130 difference or so was worth it. Everyone thats bought them on the forum has all
had positive reviews, so that mattered to me more than a couple of dollars. In the end, if you're
happy, then great. In my opinion there is no need to rain on anyones parade after they posted a
successful endeavor and seem satisfied with the results.

Reactions: TN1WR and Noble6

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I agree that you can buy cheaper lights, and maybe this not a bad deal. But I don't believe they are
the same light. I saw these along with some ebay stuff before I bought the Iron Horse lights and I
felt that the $130 difference or so was worth it. Everyone thats bought them on the forum has all
had positive reviews, so that mattered to me more than a couple of dollars. In the end, if you're
happy, then great. In my opinion there is no need to rain on anyones parade after they posted a
[banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead][banghead]

We have been round and round about these lights. They are a cheap generic china light that are being sold under many names. The example I showed is just one of many. There are several reviews and comparisons online to help inform people. If you want to buy cheap china lights that fine, just don't over pay for them. I'm not a brand snob. Just don't get suckered into bad deals. I will hit every post I see with the IHL lights until that guy is out of business because he is RIPPING PEOPLE OFF.

As far as the op doing the job himself, That is a task not to be taken lightly. You did well and I commend you. But, once again, I'm sorry you didn't see one of the many threads about this hack and his rip off light business before you laid out the cash on the overpriced china lights. You paid made in the USA (right here in NC :)) CREE brand led price for china knock off product.

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
tadaa ... Next Generation of those lights here ... even less ash:

https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Headl...ie=UTF8&qid=1469916428&sr=1-6&keywords=xprite

from a US seller ... with 2 years warranty ... lifetime customer support ... and free shipping
Motorcycle Lights - Auto & Motor Light

(important detail: they come with the sleeker 2nd gen rear housing ... unlike some cheap chinese versions e.g. SUNPIE)

and here the 4.5" variant:
https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Proje...e=UTF8&qid=1469916736&sr=1-79&keywords=xprite

using them happily for two weeks now ... on a 2014 Chief Classic (only latest flash upgrade/safety recall!) ... errorcode and resistor FREE ... nothing is getting hot ... nothing out of whack ... and BRIGHT :cool::D

(and YES ... I read most threads in this regards ... thats why I did NOT buy from IHL ... but just went with the highest power cheapest China DOT/Ecode knock off I could find ... if cheap then really cheap ... if quality : go J.W. Speaker V2)

So: THANKS chefn24!

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
tadaa ... Next Generation of those lights here ... even less ash:

https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Headl...ie=UTF8&qid=1469916428&sr=1-6&keywords=xprite

from a US seller ... with 2 years warranty ... lifetime customer support ... and free shipping
Motorcycle Lights - Auto & Motor Light

and here the 4.5" variant:
https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Proje...e=UTF8&qid=1469916736&sr=1-79&keywords=xprite

using them happily for two weeks now ... on a 2014 Chief Classic (latest flash upgrade) ... errorcode and resistor FREE ... nothing is getting hot ... nothing out of whack ... and BRIGHT :cool::D

(and YES ... I read most threads in this regards ... thats why I did NOT buy from IHL ... but just went with the highest power cheapest China DOT/Ecode knock off I could find ... if cheap then really cheap ... if quality : go J.W. Speaker V2)
MY JOB IS DONE!!! Thank you @cmoalem

·
Founding member
678 Posts
Nobel,
'What year is your chieftain? I need them to work on a 2014.
TC

·
Founding member
678 Posts

Do these work on a 2014 chieftain , Without the load resistors?

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Do these work on a 2014 chieftain , Without the load resistors?
well, you dont want the rip off version, but if you want to buy from amazon and save a few $$$ then the official word from others with the 2014 is that you will need a flash from the dealer to make the lights work without any resistors. If your dealer wants to rape you for the download then you can just install the resistors and call it a day. But DO NOT BUY IHL RIPOFF LIGHTS!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Double thumbs up!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In all fairness, we're all online here, don't know anyone irl, but I've considerable respect for the man I do whose been using them on his & recommended them. I looked at others, being a research fanatic, and weighed what I found coupled with what I saw in person and made my decision, which I'm satisfied with. Buy IHL, don't buy IHL, wasn't really the point for me. I just always give credit for person/company, etc. when I mention their product/writing/sing/etc. publicly. It's just the right thing to do.
Live well!

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
Just get all the digital wrench flashes done to your 2014, you can run LED lights without resistors added

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
I did just the latest safety bulletin/recall on my 2014 Classic ... no flashes before ... and all "features" including the LED fix were included. (and working!)
The nice thing: this recall flash comes for free!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts