Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Indian, a 2016 Chief Dark Horse with about 9.500 miles. Love everything about the bike, except for a terrible rattling noise coming from the front end (i.e.- forward of the motor) when riding on roads with less than a smooth surface. Had it checked out at the local dealer service department, but they could not determine a cause, so it was basically dismissed. If any of you Chief (or other models) owners have heard of or experienced this, please reply back to me. It will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have a solution.Thank you for your time.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Bob Krueger has a fix for this issue. Most likely the windshield rattle many owners experienced. He has an inexpensive fix it kit available. Info on this in this YouTube video...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mack, thanks for your reply. I cannot get the video to play on my computer. Can you give me some info on how to purchase the kit? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Bob Krueger has a fix for this issue. Most likely the windshield rattle many owners experienced. He has an inexpensive fix it kit available. Info on this in this YouTube video...

Mack, thanks for your reply. I cannot get the video to play on my computer. Can you give me some info on how to purchase the kit? Thanks for your time.
A Chief Dark Horse wouldn't have a power windshield. Check your gas cap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought about the gas cap because mine is loose, which I gather is pretty common. Do the aftermarket ones fit any tighter? Anyway, I held the cap firmly in place and still heard the rattling. Thanks for your time and advice.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah, I thought about the gas cap because mine is loose, which I gather is pretty common. Do the aftermarket ones fit any tighter? Anyway, I held the cap firmly in place and still heard the rattling. Thanks for your time and advice.
I put an O Ring on it and it stopped the rattle. If you have a windshield check the quick release levers. Mine rattled there.

·
Rider
747 Posts
A few things that can cause rattles on our bikes that I have had issues with are 1.) Gas Cap - an aftermarket replacement is from Drag Specialties PN 0703-0228 it's lockable and more solid than the OEM. It's a vented cap. Lot's of discussion if it should be vented on non-vented on our bikes. 2.) Windshield bracket - rattles against nacelle. I put an O-Ring on the upper bushing on each side which holds the windshield bracket away from the nacelle (see pic below). 3.) Front valenced fender caliper covers. Earlier this year I had my tires replaced and then shortly thereafter developed a rattle on one of the covers. There are 3 fasteners that hold each cover on. The rear one is inserted from the inside. In my case, the tech that changed the tire didn't tighten the rear fasteners and the covers rattled.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few things that can cause rattles on our bikes that I have had issues with are 1.) Gas Cap - an aftermarket replacement is from Drag Specialties PN 0703-0228 it's lockable and more solid than the OEM. It's a vented cap. Lot's of discussion if it should be vented on non-vented on our bikes. 2.) Windshield bracket - rattles against nacelle. I put an O-Ring on the upper bushing on each side which holds the windshield bracket away from the nacelle (see pic below). 3.) Front valenced fender caliper covers. Earlier this year I had my tires replaced and then shortly thereafter developed a rattle on one of the covers. There are 3 fasteners that hold each cover on. The rear one is inserted from the inside. In my case, the tech that changed the tire didn't tighten the rear fasteners and the covers rattled.

View attachment 598194
OK Caprock, thanks for your time and advice...I will have all 3 of those checked out...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had an Unbelievable metallic rattle, long story short - the lower bolt holding the case guard to the frame had broken - bolt head gone. Fortunately, the threads turned easily out of the frame, new Allen head from hardware store fixed it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had an Unbelievable metallic rattle, long story short - the lower bolt holding the case guard to the frame had broken - bolt head gone. Fortunately, the threads turned easily out of the frame, new Allen head from hardware store fixed it.
Thanks for the response. Hate to show my mechanical ignorance, but where exactly will I find the case guard?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts