Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Indian, a 2016 Chief Dark Horse with about 9.500 miles. Love everything about the bike, except for a terrible rattling noise coming from the front end (i.e.- forward of the motor) when riding on roads with less than a smooth surface. Had it checked out at the local dealer service department, but they could not determine a cause, so it was basically dismissed. If any of you Chief (or other models) owners have heard of or experienced this, please reply back to me. It will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have a solution.Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum;

I have a 2015 CDH and had a similar issue, it turned out to be the headlight housing frame within the nacelle. Removed the nacelle and found the headlight was loose, tightened it all up and noise was gone.

You will get a better response if you post this in the Dark Horse specific section.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NI Bob for your prompt and informative reply. Was your headlight noticeably loose? Mine will move slightly with moderate pressure applied to the edges of the lamp from the front.

And thanks for pointing out the Dark Horse section. I didn't scroll down far enough to see it before.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks NI Bob for your prompt and informative reply. Was your headlight noticeably loose? Mine will move slightly with moderate pressure applied to the edges of the lamp from the front.
It wasn't noticeably loose, the noise was like something vibrating inside the nacelle at a certain rev range or road conditions, annoyed the heck out of me for ages, I opened up the nacelle and found one of the bolts holding the headlight frame bracket had come loose and almost dropped out, tightened it up and the problem was gone.

Not saying thats you problem, but may be worth a look.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The situation and the noise you described sounds just like what I'm experiencing, so I would say there is a good chance that is my problem. Bad part is I'm not comfortable taking apart the nacelle. Guess I will have to convince my local Indian service dept. to take another look at it. Thanks again...

·
Vendor / bronze
2,983 Posts
I think some ex-Harley owner that works at the Indian factory puts rocks in the hub caps as a joke.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Is the bike under warranty? Yes - tell dealer what you have learned here or find you another more knowlegeable dealer. No - Go watch a couple of youtube videos, have a couple of beers, and go for it yourself or get a buddy to help that may be more mechanically inclined. These bikes are not as scary as it may look when it comes to taking things apart and reassembly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a DH same year and miles as yours. No issue. It's probably in the cabling somewhere and is probably nothing serious, though I imagine it's annoying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a DH same year and miles as yours. No issue. It's probably in the cabling somewhere and is probably nothing serious, though I imagine it's annoying.
Yes it is annoying...and not what you would expect from a relatively new bike with low miles...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the bike under warranty? Yes - tell dealer what you have learned here or find you another more knowlegeable dealer. No - Go watch a couple of youtube videos, have a couple of beers, and go for it yourself or get a buddy to help that may be more mechanically inclined. These bikes are not as scary as it may look when it comes to taking things apart and reassembly.
No, the bike is not under warranty. But thanks for the encouragement...I could get my son to help me, he is very mechanical with cars...

·
Vendor / bronze
2,983 Posts
My 2016 Springfield rattles behind the light sometimes. Not enough to make me take it apart. It sounds like a wire connector banging in metal .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2016 Springfield rattles behind the light sometimes. Not enough to make me take it apart. It sounds like a wire connector banging in metal .
I don't know, maybe I can get used to it...but it is so constant and annoying...driving me crazy...thanks for your time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts