Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my FTR less than 2 weeks ago. I live in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley. It has gotten as cold as it gets lately, but I am extremely disappointed that my new bike with just over 300 mi, does not want to start! I had to switch to my 2019 Scout that turned on the first try. Not that I don't mind riding my scout, I love that bike, but I was stoked when I got my FTR only to have the last two days at 38° and 45° fail me when trying to get to work. I have been scouring the internet for start help and suggestions, but at this point I called Customer Service and they recommended I take it back to the dealership as it "is not normal for it NOT to start." I really hope Indian can fix this. Or am I only supposed to ride after putting another $500 into a brand new bike? Don't fail me Indian. I am a new 2 year rider and on my second bike with you guys, I hope this doesn't kill the buzz I have for Indian. Is anyone else having this problem?? Taking any advice or suggestions! Thanks.

·
Rider
1,340 Posts
Same answer as given on other posting:

·
Registered
371 Posts
My Vintage didn’t want to start either. Try giving it a little throttle after it begins to fire. Worked on mine.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
When you say,it won't start,do you mean it cranks over real slow,or,it cranks over normal but just doesn't wanna fire?????????

·
Rider
1,340 Posts
^^^Won't crank just clicks apparently? I asked exact same question when he posted the same conundrum elsewhere.

·
Bronze member
2,249 Posts
It's one of them things unfortunately pal, it's one of those bikes that likes to live on a battery tender.
I regularly ride in freezing temps. Keep the bike in a non heated garage And my bike doesn’t live on a tender..

Looks like some people received faulty batteries what do not like the cold or loose battery terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I regularly ride in freezing temps. Keep the bike in a non heated garage And my bike doesn’t live on a tender..

Looks like some people received faulty batteries what do not like the cold or loose battery terminals.

Regular use is your asset here. I'd be willing to be the only bikes of mine that would reliably start after 2 weeks of sitting in this cold are my smaller displacement ones.

·
Bronze member
2,249 Posts
It’s usually a week or two between rides due to the erratic weather. I rode mine last Sunday, it’s been sitting all week, with no tender while it’s still snowing.

I know for a fact it will start right up when I go to take it out next week once the snow is off the roads. I also know it will be a little slower to crank since the oem battery cca is fairly weak imo.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Just for you Mr. Hatt.

Haven’t rode it in a week. Coolant is 32* oat is 36* Hasn’t been on the tender.... that Ryan tune helps too :)

And of course I had to ride it if I started it. View attachment 575338

Right on! Its always good to hear an FTR!.. for the record, I don't think it's not possible, I just wouldn't wouldn't count on them in these cases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my FTR less than 2 weeks ago. I live in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley. It has gotten as cold as it gets lately, but I am extremely disappointed that my new bike with just over 300 mi, does not want to start! I had to switch to my 2019 Scout that turned on the first try. Not that I don't mind riding my scout, I love that bike, but I was stoked when I got my FTR only to have the last two days at 38° and 45° fail me when trying to get to work. I have been scouring the internet for start help and suggestions, but at this point I called Customer Service and they recommended I take it back to the dealership as it "is not normal for it NOT to start." I really hope Indian can fix this. Or am I only supposed to ride after putting another $500 into a brand new bike? Don't fail me Indian. I am a new 2 year rider and on my second bike with you guys, I hope this doesn't kill the buzz I have for Indian. Is anyone else having this problem?? Taking any advice or suggestions! Thanks.
Its a big problem with the scout, my 2015 was in the shop under warranty twice, they never could fix it. I just got the run around. At demo days none of the scouts would start without a jump. Everyone with this problem should start a list and make indian have. A recall, and fix problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Today is a nice day where I live so I tried to start my FTR up and go for a quick spin. It just cranks and won't start. Has anyone had this problem? The previous person here didn't post a resolution to his problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts