Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
new Freedom true duals or remove the cat

:confused:looking into doing an exhaust upgrade have the 2014 chief with the stage one racing exhaust system but the bike gets hot as hell in city driving,
should I remove the cats or wait for the freedom true dual system if I remove the cats where are they located at does anybody have a pic? thanks guys…;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not that easy remove the CAT. I removed it without cutting the pipe the sound louder and the heat reduced but I still want the freedom true dual it's sound better than the stage ones so I think you should wait.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Running the true duals on my vintage, she's running like a top! No reflash or power commander. I will add a aftermarket AC and either power commander or tuner for improved performance, but honestlt I'm happy how she is now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Running the true duals on my vintage, she's running like a top! No reflash or power commander. I will add a aftermarket AC and either power commander or tuner for improved performance, but honestlt I'm happy how she is now.
So it is running good without adding the power commander? I'm having the duels installed next month and trying find out if I can get by without spending more right now?

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
See my FuelMoto post. They are in the process of making a Jackpot header that eliminates the cat and allows you to use stock heat shields and any slip on you want. They need a stock header for R&D.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
Most V Twins actually make better power with a 2 into 1 into 2 set up like stock. Removing the cat from the stock system and then your slip on of choice will result in a better system and you just might find that removing the cat but still using the stock mufflers will result in a great sound, excellent power and be by far the least expensive. The cat is responsible for most of the exhaust back pressure and sound dampening.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Remove the CAT and add some short baffles into the tail pipes to bring the back pressure back up. Great sound, cooler running and mo' power.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Disagree enzo, while there is no great improvement in performance when removing the cat, there is a large increase in rider comfort with the reduced heat emanating from that thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the dealership install the power commander & the freedom true with headers. The mechanic recommended I get the power commander installed. The bike sounds great and the throttle response is on the money.
I have same set up. Did your dealer use a map from the web site was it done on a dyno? Does you engine rpm ocilate up and down with a cold start. Mine does and the dealer acts like it is normal.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Based on dyno results and seat of the pants over a few thousand miles I am going with a gutted factory exhaust header over my previous FP True Duals
True Duals lowered my low and midrange torque as they do too good of a job scavaging, not enough back pressure. I feel the two into one back into two with the cat gutted will help preserve torque and minimize heat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts