Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my brand new, blue Chieftain yesterday.
Former ride was a 2003 Heritage Softail, lots of mods, very fast and fun to ride. I have been looking at the Chieftain as an additional bike for longer rides and planned on keeping the HD for the fun runs and quick trips.
WRONG!
I test rode the Chieftain yesterday at Hattiesburg Cycles in Mississippi. Once I rode, I was hooked. I have never been on a street bike that feels this light and nimble. The test ride was way, way too short. I could have gone for an hour, no problem with permagrin the whole time.
I really was not looking forward to riding the Softail back home (180 miles). I left the dealer and thought about it over lunch. I went back and bought the bike.
What an absolute joy to ride! Comfortable, powerful, easy to maneuver, the bike is just awesome. The ride home went very quickly.
I had no trouble reading the display as some have complained about. There is a bit of heat on my upper thighs at about 60mph, there is a slight lifter tick at about 2000rpm, the radio is kind of hard to hear with a full face helmet, and I need to be about an inch or two further back.
So shields for under the butt, a new helmet and Corbin seat should fix my problems. (I did ride a bike with the Corbin seat and it was set back a little.)

Note to others, if you have long arms, the 2 inch pull back bars are a little much. The stock bars work great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Grats on the new ride.
I changed the speakers out on my chieftain. Down loaded some CD's on to a Thumb Drive. Sounds great...radio reception sux though. I'm not tall 5'8" I could use some pulbacks. But really got use to the reach pretty fast. LOVE THIS BIKE....Vic kingpin was a nice ride for the last ten years,but no way does it compare.
and if you want to sell the pull back....PM me

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get the pullback bars, but I did ride one with them. That bike also had the Corbin seat which is much nicer than stock.

What type of speakers did you use? I'm not thrilled with the radio, but plan on putting a bluetooth headset in my helmet, so I wasn't real concerned. I did notice that the radio sounds better with my chin guard up, but that's not recommended. It also makes one HELL of a sail when a truck goes by...
Since I have the fairing, I'm considering an open face helmet.
The Corbin seat is definitely in my future, debating on the Tour Box, it's pretty expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought some FOCAL ISC 130 from Car Toys...They are not marine grade , Nor are the stock speakers...I dumped my half helmet for a full face and wish i would have bought a 3/4..But may get one anyway. full face is good for winter. always good to have 2

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just picked up my brand new, blue Chieftain yesterday.
Former ride was a 2003 Heritage Softail, lots of mods, very fast and fun to ride. I have been looking at the Chieftain as an additional bike for longer rides and planned on keeping the HD for the fun runs and quick trips.
WRONG!
I test rode the Chieftain yesterday at Hattiesburg Cycles in Mississippi. Once I rode, I was hooked. I have never been on a street bike that feels this light and nimble. The test ride was way, way too short. I could have gone for an hour, no problem with permagrin the whole time.
I really was not looking forward to riding the Softail back home (180 miles). I left the dealer and thought about it over lunch. I went back and bought the bike.
What an absolute joy to ride! Comfortable, powerful, easy to maneuver, the bike is just awesome. The ride home went very quickly.
I had no trouble reading the display as some have complained about. There is a bit of heat on my upper thighs at about 60mph, there is a slight lifter tick at about 2000rpm, the radio is kind of hard to hear with a full face helmet, and I need to be about an inch or two further back.
So shields for under the butt, a new helmet and Corbin seat should fix my problems. (I did ride a bike with the Corbin seat and it was set back a little.)

Note to others, if you have long arms, the 2 inch pull back bars are a little much. The stock bars work great.
I went on line and got the polk speakers to replace the stock ones. what a difference in sound. there is a vid on youtube that shows the install and the speaker #. they were only about $60 well worth the money.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Enjoy your new Indian Motorcycle.

Nice and I like the Blue, too. Blue is not available for the Chieftain in 2016, that is a Big Problem for Chieftain sales for the 16 year models, I believe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations. Love my Blue over Ivory Chieftain. Upgraded exhaust--sounds beautiful. I really like the stock seat. You're going to enjoy it more the longer you have it!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Congratulations on your new Chieftain, Dan.

The more you ride it the more your going to enjoy it like no other bike you've rode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts