Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my ride only has 480 miles on it and it has worked perfectly until this afternoon when I got on it and within 2 miles, my voltage went to under 11 volts and the "low voltage" indicator came on, then 1 mile later, my driving lights and radio were shut down by the computer, then another mile the voltage was down to 8 volts and then the screen displayed the "check engine" and "oil pressure" lights came on and then entire display went dead along with the ability to use the throttle.

The bike then went completely dead. My question is this: Has this ever happened to any of you guys and what was the issue? Just a dead battery that will not charge up when you are running? I will be taking it to the dealership in the morning and I will let everyone know. Thing is that the bike only has 500 miles on it!!!

Steve

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,078 Posts
To answer your question, no, this is the first time I've heard of this happening. I agree with navyman to check your battery. Victory has a bad habit of loose battery connections causing a myriad of problems.

Just make sure you are careful to protect your ECU when working around your battery. It is EXTREAMLY easy to burn them out. Here's a video explains what precautions to take:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my bike but If your taking it to the dealer than they should check for a loose battery terminal or for a short in the battery. If those are OK than they should check the vol. regulator. I'm sure your dealer will have you back on the road in short time, enjoy.

Please let us know what the problem was.

·
5,078 Posts
BTW, if you do find a loose battery connection you will most likely have to recharge the battery as well. Hopefully its an easy fix and you can be on the road again without even going to the dealer :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so my ride only has 480 miles on it and it has worked perfectly until this afternoon when I got on it and within 2 miles, my voltage went to under 11 volts and the "low voltage" indicator came on, then 1 mile later, my driving lights and radio were shut down by the computer, then another mile the voltage was down to 8 volts and then the screen displayed the "check engine" and "oil pressure" lights came on and then entire display went dead along with the ability to use the throttle.

The bike then went completely dead. My question is this: Has this ever happened to any of you guys and what was the issue? Just a dead battery that will not charge up when you are running? I will be taking it to the dealership in the morning and I will let everyone know. Thing is that the bike only has 500 miles on it!!!

Steve
Update: Turns out my voltage regulator was defective so they are ordering one from the factory. Thanks for all the good posts on this topic.

Steve

·
5,078 Posts
Update: Turns out my voltage regulator was defective so they are ordering one from the factory. Thanks for all the good posts on this topic.

Steve
Sucks you had the voltage regular go bad so soon but I'm glad it's being taken care of. Also thanks for letting us know what the outcome was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there ...... ya noob on here. Own a 2014 Chieftain with aprox 5200mi, lately on startups Ive been getting a slight hesitation in ignition and my clock resets to 12:00. I'm wondering if Im creating the problem by quickly hitting the start button where maybe I should be holding it in for 2 sec or so until the starter engages .... but can't help reading these topics on voltage issues and wonder if I should have it looked into. I recently had my 5k service an Im wondering now if they checked battery connections at all. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AugustWest, I remember that when I hit the start button real fast and quick that my clock did reset as well. Come to think about it that happened about 1 week before everything shut down. Maybe you can get the voltage regulator or ECU checked out on your service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
saustin - thanks for the reply - it happened again today when now I hold the start button fully for 2 / 3 sec until the starter motor engages. Today there was a moment of hesitation again - dashboard screen went completely dark then within a second or so it started up. Ive now also tried monitoring the volts and ran 14.4 during the ride, stopped for short bit then on startup I noticed 13.2 which didn't seem alarming - which again reset my clock !
Any response here appreciated. Thanks Rich

·
Registered
384 Posts
I believe there is a recommended delay between hitting the tank mounted power button and flipping the kill switch and starting the bike. I think its only a few seconds but it may alleviate your issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
dealer confirmed with me today that its a software update which they need to flash the ecu to correct. still happening on about every 3rd or 4th start consistently. again i'm on a 14 chieftain with 5500mi - just had my 5k service I bet I got this bug when they connected to my system. can't say I had this problem like this before my 5k service, beware.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
not suppose to hold the starter button in when starting. Just press and release.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Correct, just very quickly press and release the starter button.

>------> >------> >------>

Live Free and Die Well
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya I get it guys press an release which I always do until this problem arised. Was trying different ideas to avoid problem. So I came out of work yesterday to a dead battery, used jumpers got it going - took it to the dealer today, they blamed it on loose connections. called told me it was all set ( mentioned voltage regulator ) they dismissed the VR problem. Arrived went to start it - same thing hesitation, clock reset ..... replaced my battery, rode home. I ordered a voltage regulator as the factory is out of stock until Oct as I was told by cust service at polaris. Saga continues stay tuned .....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Steve
Update: Well after waiting for over 1 week, the Service department indicated that the regulator is on backorder with no available date! I threw a fit and they ended up taking a regulator off one of their inventory units so I can get back on the road.

Polaris needs to pay attention to getting their service departments trained around customer service and get some parts created and stocked. I know that HD has been operational for years and have parts available, but if Polaris wants to catch up and smoke HD, they need to give the Indian brand more love and make it a top tier company.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
After setting in the garage for a week after getting home from 2800 miles to SD and back my 15 Chieftain would not power up much less start. The battery voltage was at 4 volts according to my voltmeter. Tried putting a tender on and blew fuses in the tender link and the battery charger so I removed the seat and put a regular charger on the battery. It took about 4-5 hours before I got enough capacity to start. I took it to the dealer for the 2500 mile check up (3400 miles) and asked them to check the battery and charging system. They said it checked fine when I picked it up. Due to other obligations I parked in the garage and did not ride it for 3-4 days. I went to start it and again the battery was at 4 volts. This time it took all day to get enough capacity to start. Went to the dealer again and told them I was still having issues and wanted the battery replaced under warranty. They said they had never seen a battery go bad in just a few months (bought the bike new in mid June) and would have to contact Polaris to see what they should do. I am expecting a call today with an answer from Polaris. Reading this thread however has me wondering if I have a VR issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hello there folks, I really need some advice from you all as a future Chieftain owner. Reading all the reports about the various problems reported in the forums (voltage regulators, chrome peeing off, paint issues, etc) I am really very concerned about my pending purchase of a 2015 Chieftain. I am somewhat mechanically inclined as I own a couple of bikes (2002 Suzuki Intruder and a 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-spec). However being a consultant I am on the road pretty much the whole week and when I get back home on the weekends I want to come back home to enjoy riding my new Chieftain and not be fretting and dealing with issues. My initial thought was to purchase a 2015 Chieftain so I could get the $1500 worth of free accessories and the 5 year warranty as opposed to the 2016 Chieftain which would not have any incentives and just a 2 year warranty. I could forget about the incentives on the 2015 Chieftain and hope Polaris has fixed the issues (at least some or most of them) and buy the 2016 model. Or the other drastic choice would be to completely change the direction and get a BMW K 1600 GTL.
:confused:[nailbiting] [banghead]

·
5,078 Posts
I have a 2014 Chieftain with none of the aforementioned problems. No matter what bike/car/truck/boat/etc... you buy you will always find someone who has had problems. I am not in anyway downplaying the seriousness of the problem is to the person who is trying to find a remedy; rather trying to point out that the problems with Indians is not unique. You have as much of a chance of having problems with the BMW K1600 as you would with the Chieftain.

Being retired Navy I've always heard "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor". You are on an Indian Forum where problems with Indian motorcycles are discussed. You will find similar problems discussed on every motorcycle manufacture's forum as well; especially with new designs. Want proof? Why BMW Released Bike With So Many Problems? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums and BMW K1600 Faults Failures and Recalls were the first two results when I Googled "bmw k 1600 gtl problems"

The BMW 1600 has had three more years of production to work the kinks out than the Indian has. I would expect more of the kinks to be worked out than Indian has been able to.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a 2014 Chieftain with none of the aforementioned problems. No matter what bike/car/truck/boat/etc... you buy you will always find someone who has had problems. I am not in anyway downplaying the seriousness of the problem is to the person who is trying to find a remedy; rather trying to point out that the problems with Indians is not unique. You have as much of a chance of having problems with the BMW K1600 as you would with the Chieftain.

Being retired Navy I've always heard "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor". You are on an Indian Forum where problems with Indian motorcycles are discussed. You will find similar problems discussed on every motorcycle manufacture's forum as well; especially with new designs. Want proof? Why BMW Released Bike With So Many Problems? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums and BMW K1600 Faults Failures and Recalls were the first two results when I Googled "bmw k 1600 gtl problems"

The BMW 1600 has had three more years of production to work the kinks out than the Indian has. I would expect more of the kinks to be worked out than Indian has been able to. For me
@Goatlocker95: Thanks for the reassurance! I love the fact that Chieftain brings a "fresh retro" design that is unlike anything on the road today. I did not want to end up with a "me too" bike like the new BMW's or the H-D's.

So it will be a Thunder black Chieftain for sure. But I am still debating about the model year. I know that there is no difference in the 2015 and the 2016. If I do go with the 2015 (or even the 2016 for that matter), I have to insist that the dealer updates the software and check for any other recall fixes that may be in effect. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts