Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I've been looking for a motorcycle for a few months and looking for the right deal.
I was first looking for something inexpensive just to get on a bike again. I had a Yamaha V-Star touring and it was great for me.
I decided I wanted something nicer so I started looking at Harley's. I found great deal on a Road King but it was sold within a few days.
Due to having a sick dog, I changed my search to just look locally. I ended up finding one from a really great owner and got a great deal on it.
And I can't believe I never thought of an Indian before, I'm so in love with this bike and think it's an amazingly beautiful machine.
I'ts by all means not a show queen and that's what I was looking for but with the great price, I couldn't pass it up.
And with my OCD, this bike will hopefully cure some of it cause I can't change the flaws in the bike without a huge expense. Just lots of scratches and a ding on the saddle bag, and some rust dots on the wheels and hardware underneath it, and the front forks may need some work.

Also, this bike is so darn heavy. It's extremely easy to ride, but backing up is scary for my scrawny weak 155lb weight. I already dropped it backing out of the garage. The front tire went in my driveway groove and it tipped over. I now know the correct way to lift it back up, but didn't then and it took all my might just to get it standing again. But to my amazement, it did absolutely zero damage except to a tiny mark on the bottom of the front crash bar as that was the only thing it rested on.

And to the questions, the TPMS seems a little intermittent. It's mostly the front tire that sometimes it doesn't show up after riding away but will come on sometimes 5 to 20 minutes later then go away sometimes until I restart the bike. Is there anything to check for to see what's causing it ?

I have my iPhone connected Bluetooth and when Pandora plays once in a while it will switch itself to the radio and I change it back an it does it again. Any reason fro this happening?

The only thing I changed was I put the Indian heel shifter on and the directions say to take off the shift lever, but I was able to easily install it in less than two minutes without removing anything.

I absolutely love this motorcycle and and so proud to own it.
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Your bike is ol’ school (in spirit) and doesn’t like Pandora. It wants you to play a classic rock station... just kidding.. I have no idea. I only listen to Music n a USB stick. Sometimes it will just go quiet for a couple seconds then start again... congrats on the new to you ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your bike is ol’ school (in spirit) and doesn’t like Pandora. It wants you to play a classic rock station... just kidding.. I have no idea. I only listen to Music n a USB stick. Sometimes it will just go quiet for a couple seconds then start again... congrats on the new to you ride.
Thanks, and it does play classic rock :), and some country too.
Another weird thing is when I'm using Google Maps it would cut the music and announce the directions along a route. Now it cuts the music to give the directions, but I can't hear the directions anymore. Don't know what setting could have changed.

I'm so happy I bought this bike, it's truly Amazing and such a joy to ride.

I also found out the alarm works, I forgot to put it in my pocket and got to the end of the street and wondered why the horn was going off. I hurried and turned and made it back into the garage when it died. Very nice feature.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine has issues with google maps too except with mine when the directions are announced the first couple words don’t come through like 1.5 miles turn right on Wilson I hear right on Wilson

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has issues with google maps too except with mine when the directions are announced the first couple words don’t come through like 1.5 miles turn right on Wilson I hear right on Wilson
I bought the motorcycle last weekend and it worked for up until a few days ago. Don't know what happened. When I get home I'll try to turn the volume up while it's announcing and see if that makes any difference. I was playing with the left/right settings toggles and don't know if I changed anything.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I also found out the alarm works, I forgot to put it in my pocket and got to the end of the street and wondered why the horn was going off. I hurried and turned and made it back into the garage when it died. Very nice feature.
That's not the alarm. That's your antitheft feature. You were lucky you got back before it died. You can also start it up with your pin number so keep that in mind. You bike will do the exact same thing when the FOB battery gets too low...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's not the alarm. That's your antitheft feature. You were lucky you got back before it died. You can also start it up with your pin number so keep that in mind. You bike will do the exact same thing when the FOB battery gets too low...
I did see that feature in the manual before I bought the bike. Already changed to my PIN. I really like that feature.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi. Try using the usb instead of Bluetooth for pandora. Added benefit of charging while playing.
Actually, I may have had my phone plugged into the USB in the fairing compartment when I was getting GPS audible directions through the speakers.
I had my phone on the pouch but I’d rather have it on me then sitting in the compartment.
I did plug a USB stick with music into it and that works good.
I just like having a visible screen for navigation, i put a phone holder on the handlebar and I can access music and NAV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice Ride and Congrats!
I have noted the issue with Google Maps as well. I'm guessing that as your phone flips between modes (maps, music, etc) it could be latching onto some other BT device if you have another on you at the time. Turning the other BT device off or the BT connectivity off may help. But its just a guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats! I have a 2016 in Thunder Black, looks a bit different with all of the changes I made now.
Thanks, I really love the bike and it’s so fun to ride. I finally got to ride in other than around town yesterday.
I live in Tucson and I used to always take a ride out to Old Tucson and loved going through the hills and curves. My Yamaha scrapped the floorboards very easy, the Indian can lean over a lot more. I didn’t ride too aggressively since I’m still getting used to it an it’s such a heavy bike, but still had a great 45 minute therapy ride .
Looking forward to a much longer ride whenever I get the time.

Only thing I added was a heal shifter, maybe some other goodies down the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice Ride and Congrats!
I have noted the issue with Google Maps as well. I'm guessing that as your phone flips between modes (maps, music, etc) it could be latching onto some other BT device if you have another on you at the time. Turning the other BT device off or the BT connectivity off may help. But its just a guess.
Thanks, and the phone is the only thing I have using the Bluetooth on the motorcycle.
Oh well, no biggie.

·
Rider
743 Posts
Don’t feel bad. I have an 18 and the front tpms is a pain. It says there is not enough air but when the tire heats up, it shows a little over inflated. I figure they are good telling me if I hit a nail and am losing air quick maybe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem you may be having is with your phone. Not sure what it could be, maybe the bluetooth or the data you are using on it. I had trouble with an older phone awhile back. Just got a new phone last year and have had 0 problems.

My TPMS goes out all the time in the front. I stopped by a dealership when I drove down to Atlanta. They checked it out and said it was fine, but it seems to be a common problem.

I have a 2014 Chieftain. Welcome!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts