Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it took a year but I broke down and replaced the clutch cable and installed the Barnett clutch arm.. what a pain in the ass. Why in the hell would they run the cable between the engine and frame tube. You nearly have to remove the left side down tube.

I liked the quality of the Barnett cable EXCEPT they do not install a rubber bellow on the end of the cable to keep out water and dirt. Piss poor decision if you ask me as the end of the cable points up and out so it is waiting to fill with water if you are in the rain or wash your bike.. I cut the old cable and got the bellow off and using a lot of lube and prayerful stretching got it over the barrel on the new one. It does not seal tight on the cable case like the oem but it’s better than nothing. I called Barnett and they had no idea why their engineer didn’t add one. Without it the bottom will fill with water and eventually cause a failure...

The clutch arm install sucks as no one can tell you how to index it on the shaft. Barnett says to install it like the old one.. one problem, this one is not shaped like the old one and the manual says it should be a 60 degree angle with the case looking up from the bottom... ugh.. It’s on and adjusted so we will see.

mark

·
German rider
737 Posts
Some say a boot is not necessary because the cable is coated.
But in my case the coating is already rubbed of due the angle the cable comes out of the tube.
No chance to do a better position to route the cable out of the muzzle.
So I grease the cable at the tube edge, hoping this will not harm or let the coating soak and swell.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I just installed mine the other day. I agree that the install is a PITA. I also am not a fan of the adjuster only having two slots for a wrench rather than the hexagonal faceting like the stock cable. However, I don't think that the lack of a rubber boot is that big of a deal. The hole is small, and the cable takes up 95% of the available space in the hole, so I don't think that a ton of water will be able to get in, unless maybe you drive through a deep puddle or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts