Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning everyone, i bought my first motorcycle(Scout SIXTY:) ) yesterday though i have been riding smaller engine 2 wheeler before this is my big bike for now. As this is my first motorcycle in USA please help me out new bee with any suggestions and tips and also i am planning to go on a drive form youngstown, ohio to dearborn, Michigan which is about 450 miles round trip for weekend but dealer suggested that don't do any long stretches until i get my first 500 mile service, is it true?

·
Bronze member
1,825 Posts
Yes and no. The first 500 miles or until the first oil change, you need to not ride at constant rpms and on long trips the engine tends to stay constant. Unless you take back roads with lots of stop and go and speed up, slow down drives, the dealer is right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes and no. The first 500 miles or until the first oil change, you need to not ride at constant rpms and on long trips the engine tends to stay constant. Unless you take back roads with lots of stop and go and speed up, slow down drives, the dealer is right.
Thank you, i will surely give it some time before taking it on long stretches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is sweet. You picked the best color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Michael, i notice you switched exhaust and added some cool stuff to your ride looks really good. I am planning to get that windshield too but it may take some time, sport seat for my sixty is on the way. on the different note did you notice engine rattling sounds after stopping engine? and front brake pads give me squeal sound sometimes is it normal for new motorcycle or is just happening to me? little worried as this my first motorcycle.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes it does make the same noises. The brakes are new I get that also sometimes. You will also hear a wine noise after shut off, it's the tank venting which is normal. If anything gets to bad say something at your 500 mile service. A lot of it is break in noise. The shield I have keeps the wind off the chest and lower body. The pipes are crushers. Loud and sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
I took delivery of mine and immediately went on a 500mi ride so I could get service for my first trip (2800mi) the next day. No problems at all. Just make sure you vary your speed somewhat if you get stuck on long stretches of hwy. i.e. 5 mins at 65, 5 at 70, 5 at 75, etc. I was on mtn roads so it wasn't a problem. If I were you I'd just pick secondary roads and few interstates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took delivery of mine and immediately went on a 500mi ride so I could get service for my first trip (2800mi) the next day. No problems at all. Just make sure you vary your speed somewhat if you get stuck on long stretches of hwy. i.e. 5 mins at 65, 5 at 70, 5 at 75, etc. I was on mtn roads so it wasn't a problem. If I were you I'd just pick secondary roads and few interstates.
thanks for tip @HINK 100 miles to go for first service, planning to do 700 mile trip after service. will surely take secondary roads than the interstates as they are more interesting and fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new scout.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts