Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just under 500 miles on a new FTR 1200. Went for a ride with some friends on Friday and on a twisty road the throttle went completely unresponsive (very glad I wasn't in a turn when it happened). I waited awhile and was able to limp the bike back home. The same issue has repeated itself and the dealership is closed here so I can't take it in. It is going to drive me crazy if I can't ride this new bike for the duration of this COVID stuff.... Here are the codes - 91-4, 3598-4, 102-4. So far as I can tell they are: Accelerator position 1; Voltage too low; ECU Output supply voltage 2; Voltage too low; Manifold absolute pressure sensor 4; Voltage too low. So it is obviously an electrical issue. Checked the battery terminals and recharged the battery but that didn't help. Suggestions?

·
Rider
1,154 Posts
Many of the codes will reset on ignition cycle but on the third occasion will ‘latch’ and can only be reset by a dealer unfortunately.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
That's a drag they are closed!?
All car and MC service shops are considered essential around my parts..
Is that by order? Or is that their choice?

·
Bronze member
2,033 Posts
They are closed in my state as well.

You can call them for “emergencies”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Maybe this will help.

Reset Error/Trouble Codes
Ignition Key (IK) OFF
Kill Switch (KS) OFF
Turn IK ON
Turn KS ON
Fuel pump will cycle
Turn KS OFF
Turn IK OFF
Wait 10 seconds
Repeat sequence another three (3) times ...... That’s four (4) times in total.
At the fourth (4th) time, start the bike after the fuel pump has cycled.
Run the engine for 30 seconds, then shut down normally.
Most (if not all) codes should have cleared to the historic mem
ory.

Greetings Martin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Service shops can stay open here but Indian decided that it was too expensive just to keep the service department open... I have a PV3 that got here yesterday (haven't mapped anything and won't until this is fixed) but can use it to clear the codes I believe. Will try it and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I plugged in the PV3 and there were some codes that I wasn't seeing and don't know what they are. 520347-5, 520548-5. I guess these aren't in the old code list I have been referencing. Anyone know what they are?

·
Rider
1,191 Posts
Have just under 500 miles on a new FTR 1200. Went for a ride with some friends on Friday and on a twisty road the throttle went completely unresponsive (very glad I wasn't in a turn when it happened). I waited awhile and was able to limp the bike back home. The same issue has repeated itself and the dealership is closed here so I can't take it in. It is going to drive me crazy if I can't ride this new bike for the duration of this COVID stuff.... Here are the codes - 91-4, 3598-4, 102-4. So far as I can tell they are: Accelerator position 1; Voltage too low; ECU Output supply voltage 2; Voltage too low; Manifold absolute pressure sensor 4; Voltage too low. So it is obviously an electrical issue. Checked the battery terminals and recharged the battery but that didn't help. Suggestions?
Did you check the output of the charging system?

·
Rider
1,191 Posts
If it were me, I would completely de-energize the system, as at this point you have little riding habit information stored by the computer. Then, afterwards I would run both a voltage check, as as well amperage draw ( assuming you have an inductive ammeter). Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree. Sure you can clear the codes but I'd really want to know why my bike was throwing codes and get it fixed rather than just wipe them off.
Is there another dealer you can get to?
In normal times that is exactly what I would do. Next closest dealership is 300 miles away and I think they may be closed also but not sure. I cleared the codes, did the 500mi oil change last night, and went through all electrical connections to make sure they are tight. Will take it out today and see if it is still acting up. If there is an issue I am sure it will come back up unfortunately.

·
Rider
1,191 Posts
You mentioned charging the battery. Was it low? It is a very simple task to check the charging system at the battery, and since you have codes indicating low voltage you might want to do this. I agree that any further intervention is a dealership issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You mentioned charging the battery. Was it low? It is a very simple task to check the charging system at the battery, and since you have codes indicating low voltage you might want to do this. I agree that any further intervention is a dealership issue.
It didn't seem to be low but also wasn't fully charged. I will check the charging system and yes will put off anything else until the dealerships are open if it starts throwing codes again.

·
Rider
1,191 Posts
^^ my manual doesn't have the two latest fault codes, but other codes with a "-5" ending suggest open circuit/grounding problem. Rx: warranty service via dealership.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts