Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Bought a brand new oem battery for my 2016 scout.
It starts and runs after I installed it for a few seconds and then quits.
Kept trying to start it but eventually killed the battery.
Any ideas ?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
By 'killed the battery' I assume you mean it ran it flat, not started smoking or anything dramatic. In that case it can be charged easily enough.

Do any error lights show up? It's a long time since I had a Scout and I forget what warning lights there are.
Similarly, are there any error codes showing? Once again, my memory lets me down on if there is some way to check this.

If you turn on the ignition do other systems work, such as blinkers, horn and lights? The headlight probably won't turn on until the motor is running, but parking and brake lights should work.

Can you hear the fuel pump run itself up to pressure when you turn it on? Sometimes a short run and then stop points to a fuel pump problem. Is there fuel in the tank?

The red kill switch is turned on? Been there, done that.

That's about as long a list as I can come up with. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey everyone,
Bought a brand new oem battery for my 2016 scout.
It starts and runs after I installed it for a few seconds and then quits.
Kept trying to start it but eventually killed the battery.
Any ideas ?
By 'killed the battery' I assume you mean it ran it flat, not started smoking or anything dramatic. In that case it can be charged easily enough.

Do any error lights show up? It's a long time since I had a Scout and I forget what warning lights there are.
Similarly, are there any error codes showing? Once again, my memory lets me down on if there is some way to check this.

If you turn on the ignition do other systems work, such as blinkers, horn and lights? The headlight probably won't turn on until the motor is running, but parking and brake lights should work.

Can you hear the fuel pump run itself up to pressure when you turn it on? Sometimes a short run and then stop points to a fuel pump problem. Is there fuel in the tank?

The red kill switch is turned on? Been there, done that.

That's about as long a list as I can come up with. Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks for replying,
Yes all the above mentioned works proper,
So when i went to change my oil, and drained it into oil pan,
It smells of fuel.
Hmmm....

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Thanks for replying,
It smells of fuel.
Hmmm....
That could mean that the pump is working OK and the injectors are sending fuel to the cylinder, but it's not firing. Some fuel will exit through the exhaust valves and some will stay in the cylinder. Then that fuel leaks down through the rings over time and into the oil.

Did you change the oil before or after the 'won't start' problem?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying,
It smells of fuel.
And I went to take the fill cap/ dipstick off and oil would run out of the fill hole.
Bought my bike brand new and maintained the oil and filter every 6 months , and properly filled it to the right spec.
Not sure why so much oil is in crankcase.
After i replaced oil and filter ,it runs . But still no check engine or code .
That could mean that the pump is working OK and the injectors are sending fuel to the cylinder, but it's not firing. Some fuel will exit through the exhaust valves and some will stay in the cylinder. Then that fuel leaks down through the rings over time and into the oil.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I believe what happen, i went out and started my bike in January and it was like 20 ° f , it ran , than quit, as i kept trying to start it, it kept pushing fuel into crankcase, as you mentioned past the valves and what not,
So i drained it , new oil filter and runs like a champ.
Thank you sir.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How about the starter recall? The defective starter was installed into a portion of 2016 and 2017 scouts. Sounds by others' reports to be quite similar, even to the point of killing a battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts