Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's not an Indian but it's the new addition to my stable. Been looking at them for a couple years and finally pulled the trigger. It's the 2WD Gear Up for the on and off road fun. Please welcome Babe (from the Paul Bunyan folklore).

Delivery day.jpg

·
Rider
879 Posts
I love my Ural... but not 2WD as I been told Not to fly the chair with 2WD... Nope... I fly all the time just for giggles, and sometimes, to keep my Bitter Half out of monstrous Michigan Potholes!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love my Ural... but not 2WD as I been told Not to fly the chair with 2WD... Nope... I fly all the time just for giggles, and sometimes, to keep my Bitter Half out of monstrous Michigan Potholes!!!!
Bitter Half or Better Half? Could go either way. My guess Better Half, unless you hit that pothole :D

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
58 Posts
Ah, good times. I loved my Ural Retro. Build in some extra time on errands for Ural Delay Factor. Everyone wants to talk about the Ural, even snobby Harley riders. I only gave mine up because it blew a clutch and I’m just done begging my local Ural dealer to work on it. He’s much more interested in doing vintage BMW restorations. So I bought a Scout and will add a hack to it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
879 Posts
I also loved my Ural.. No dogs tho..no Luggage either... and... if you look at yer Pic just right.... Looks like it is Loaded with Rocks....LOL
Not many Scouts with a hack, in fact I have never seen one in person... post Pictures..
Planning a Velorex hack?? or????

·
Registered
571 Posts
Been wanting a sidecar bike for years and looked hard at a Ural last year but I want a Vintage with a Hannigan...Saving my pennies...

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
58 Posts
I also loved my Ural.. No dogs tho..no Luggage either... and... if you look at yer Pic just right.... Looks like it is Loaded with Rocks....LOL
Not many Scouts with a hack, in fact I have never seen one in person... post Pictures..
Planning a Velorex hack?? or????
Hannigan Arrow Elite. Like my Ural, I'm more a fan of the classic look than a Velorex offers. The Arrow Elite is a slightly smaller hack than the Heritage, made for mid-size bikes like the Scout.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Been wanting a sidecar bike for years and looked hard at a Ural last year but I want a Vintage with a Hannigan...Saving my pennies...
Save alot of them!!!!
The Ural, already setup Properly is Much less expensive..
You can go "budget" on yer Hannigan set-up, But, I am a Solid [not Firm... Solid] believer, in, get absolutely all of the Good Stuff.. right off...

Hannigan Arrow Elite. Like my Ural, I'm more a fan of the classic look than a Velorex offers. The Arrow Elite is a slightly smaller hack than the Heritage, made for mid-size bikes like the Scout.
"slightly" being the operative Word!!!
Neat look next to a Scout tho!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
58 Posts
Save alot of them!!!!
The Ural, already setup Properly is Much less expensive..
You can go "budget" on yer Hannigan set-up, But, I am a Solid [not Firm... Solid] believer, in, get absolutely all of the Good Stuff.. right off...

"slightly" being the operative Word!!!
Neat look next to a Scout tho!!!!
Yup, I just measured my Ural hack and the measurements are almost identical. Mrs Hannigan offered to sell me the rig in the photo for the small sum of $29k.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,826 Posts
I've looked at Urals in the past but the distance to dealers plus being Russian made kinda put me off. I think a Scout with a sidecar would be better suited to highway use, at least power wise.

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
58 Posts
100% correct. If you live in the NE or NW there is a good community, otherwise you’re on your own. The reason I moved on from Ural is because I just got tired of my local dealer. Not sure why he even sells Urals, since he has no passion for them. His real gig is vintage BMW.

The main thing Ural brings to the table is full on sidecar rig straight from the factory. Write one check and you’re on the road.

That being said, I could get my rig up to 70 going downhill with a tailwind. You’re definitely limited to the slow lane.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a bunch of fun for 10 years; soccer games and car pool lines with my daughters, camping with my dog. But I’ll get a hack for the Scout and be back at it.

·
Rider
879 Posts
I've looked at Urals in the past but the distance to dealers plus being Russian made kinda put me off. I think a Scout with a sidecar would be better suited to highway use, at least power wise.
Hear the "made in Russia" put off all the time..Yet Russia never declared War on the US, nor held POW's in less than Humane Conditions...
Some things I will Not Forget!!

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
58 Posts
There was a time when Ural quality control was not the best. I went into it eyes wide open knowing it was not a gas and go Honda. Always had good luck with it. In 10 years it only required road side assistance once, and mine was carbureted. Since 2015 they have all been injected, and have disc brakes all the way around.

·
Rider
879 Posts
There was a time when Ural quality control was not the best. I went into it eyes wide open knowing it was not a gas and go Honda. Always had good luck with it. In 10 years it only required road side assistance once, and mine was carbureted. Since 2015 they have all been injected with disc brakes all the way around.

sold my '07 Tourist for a very good price, kept a late '70's Dnepr... A Study in Crude!!! Slow but steady, and still a one kick starter!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a time when Ural quality control was not the best. I went into it eyes wide open knowing it was not a gas and go Honda. Always had good luck with it. In 10 years it only required road side assistance once, and mine was carbureted. Since 2015 they have all been injected with disc brakes all the way around.

After reading about all the problems that a Ural can have I did some digging and seen that they have made great strides in the last several years. And they are made to work on and come with about any tool you may need to do all the basic stuff. They have become more reliable over time and now the 2019+ models are (mostly) trustworthy. 3000 miles so far and no problems just basic maintenance. By this time my RM had crapped a voltage regulator and had a recall. Completely different bike to drive and so much fun. My daughter loves it when I fly the chair, the wife not so much. This guy has had no complaints so far.

·
Registered
2016 Indian Scout
58 Posts
There are very few bikes you can ride in a snowstorm. We used to have men’s retreats in the GA mountains at the end of January every year. I just made it a habit to take the hack. One year, which I had checked the weather so I knew it was coming, I made the ride in freezing rain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts