Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I ordered my 22 indian chief dark horse on March 26th. The dealership called me yesterday and said there is still no eta on delivery. Is everyone seeing this kind of delay? If so, how long is everyone waiting on average to receive the chief? I traded in my FTR 1200 to help with cost, so I am without a bike and the weather is perfect! Thank you all!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just about everyone from manufacturing, wholesale to retail is facing delays because of many issues with the supply chain. Its very bad and does not look to get better until maybe next year. "no eta" means you should have options to get out of the contract without costs...depending on the contract. A quick search of cycle trader shows over 500 new ones, not sure how many exist but a few phone calls could narrow that down quick. If your contract allows you may want to consider trying to make a deal elsewhere or ask your dealer to find one from another dealer who has one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It took a month and a half when I ordered mine on Feb 9th at launch. I think current times are several months. I don’t know why the dealer took your trade already unless they’re trying to nab bikes the can actually sell.

·
Registered
301 Posts
considering how few bikes of any model my local dealers have it really is underwhelming to visit and try to sell myself on a new bike

·
Registered
62 Posts
My Chief Bobber DH took just about two months from the time I put down a deposit. The sales manager placed a large order for accessories, so he already had everything I wanted in stock, ready for installation. The bike shipped on a Friday, arrived at the dealership in Washington St. on Tuesday, and was ready to roll by Thursday. I rode away on Saturday,, a happy owner. I’m halfway to my 500 break in service after only 3 days.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
517 Posts
I ordered my Chief Bobber Dark Horse on March 7 and it was delivered on March 27. Upgrade parts were ordered on March 27 and arrived the second week of May.
I was at my dealership last week and was told Indian is having trouble getting components that go into the analog speedometer (common to Chief and Scout) and front fork components for Chief. The dealership is as frustrated as the customers. They only have a handful of bike in the showroom for sale. They literally have sold everything in stock they had coming out of winter and are only getting bikes in that are preordered.
My son-in-law put a deposit on a Chief Bobber two weeks ago. He is playing the waiting game and has not been given a estimated delivery date. He has two bikes. One is for sale and he is keeping the other until the new bike is delivered.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
517 Posts
My other son-in-laws, brother ordered a 2021 Yamaha MT09 back in January. He has been told his bike was on the Ever Given in a shipping container. It got stuck in the Seuz Canal. Now the ship is being held captive by the Egyptian government with no end in sight. So Indian is not the only company having difficulty....

·
Registered
26 Posts
The dealer told me 4-6 weeks and it arrived in 4 weeks. However - as mentioned in my other thread there is an issue with the ride command and they are now waiting on a replacement part. =/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. It seems like you just have to get lucky that your model and color is built or being built. But I've waited two and a half months, what's a few more months...ha thank you everyone. My dealer said all my accessories are there waiting. Just no bike. Maybe I can take them home and place them around my coffee table and pretend I'm riding my new chief...ha

·
Registered
109 Posts
It took almost 2 months for me to get my Chief Darkhorse. I finally got the bike, but accessories are impossible to find, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told 4-6 weeks about 9 weeks ago. They have a super chief limited in blue availible at a different dealership. Might just go grab that instead of this chief dh bobber ive been waiting on

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
759 Posts
Seeing same problem in parts both indian and after market parts. My heal toe shifter for my scout took well over a month on back order and they didn't get the number they ordered. I think all were sold before they came in. I'm hearing that the Buffalo Air horns are also on back order and that they are so busy trying to catch up that they are way behind in answering correspondence from new customers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered a chief bobber DH in sagebrush in the 24 of April and picked it up in the 28th of May . the dealership also told be 4-6 weeks. I think it depents in that model you get and color .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seeing same problem in parts both indian and after market parts. My heal toe shifter for my scout took well over a month on back order and they didn't get the number they ordered. I think all were sold before they came in. I'm hearing that the Buffalo Air horns are also on back order and that they are so busy trying to catch up that they are way behind in answering correspondence from new customers.
I lucked out and was able to get the slip ons/tips for my Chief through Bair’s Powersports in North Canton, Ohio. It was actually cheaper for me to buy them there than here in Michigan (lower sales tax). That’s my advice - email or call around to some of the bigger dealerships. You might luck out and find what you’re looking for.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
759 Posts
I lucked out and was able to get the slip ons/tips for my Chief through Bair’s Powersports in North Canton, Ohio. It was actually cheaper for me to buy them there than here in Michigan (lower sales tax). That’s my advice - email or call around to some of the bigger dealerships. You might luck out and find what you’re looking for.
But my comment was about two different aftermarket companies, also having backlog problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dealer told me 4-6 weeks and it arrived in 4 weeks. However - as mentioned in my other thread there is an issue with the ride command and they are now waiting on a replacement part. =/
My guess is that the RC definitely has something to do with it. I imagine they stopped shipping until enough of the new (different part number from original) can be manufactured. Since these are electronic in nature, Indian could be suffering from the same semiconductor shortage that automobile manufacturers are facing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

You all are lucky. Here in EU, no one knows when new chiefs will arrive. I have ordered new one right after promo came out back in March.
I had promise by end of May, beginning of June. Still nothing and no answers.

What can I say. It takes time to get my black chief DH

·
Bronze member
2,157 Posts
My buddy was all ready to switch from his HD to a new Chief but the delays turned him back to another HD. Summer riding season will play a big part in the sales of these bikes. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another FTR scenario.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts