Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife decided she wanted to trade in her 2019 Scout Bobber (not comfortable enough for longer rides) and her 2020 Triumph Speed Twin (slightly too tall for her to feel comfortable stopping in heavy traffic) on a new 2022 Chief Darkhorse. We went to our local dealer who we have had a great relationship with for years, Cherokee Cycle here in Greenville, SC, and put down a deposit back in July 2021. We were told it would be 6-8 weeks and sure enough 6 weeks later a new Chief showed up on their website. When I called to check and it was the Darkhorse Bobber and not the Chief Darkhorse that she really wanted. With acknowledgment and apologizes that they did order the wrong bike in July back into the waiting queue we went.

Flash forward another 8 weeks and another Chief pops up on their website, this time the correct bike! With great excitement I called the dealer to confirm that this was her bike and it was on the way. About 2 weeks later we received the call and went in to pick up my wife's new bike. Walking into the dealership our eyes snapped directly to the only Chief Darkhorse sitting on the display floor and my wife rushed over. We quickly noticed one major difference to every Chief Darkhorse we had seen online or in YouTube reviews, the exhaust was chrome and not black.

Talking with our sales guy and a quick conversation with "the guys behind the desk" we were told that Indian is out of the black exhausts. In order to ship new Chiefs they are building them with chrome exhaust but we would receive a voucher to swap exhausts when available at no charge. While the bike looks a bit odd with chrome exhausts but back slip ons we happily did the paper work and my wife rode her home. She'll enjoy the company of my 2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT as we wait for warmer weather first of next year.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

And a shot of that chrome exhaust.

Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system Tire

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Well not a bad solution. It’s funny, I don’t think I would have even noticed the chrome exhaust. Wasn’t there a scout that was set up like that intentionally?

Reactions: zee

·
Administrator
19,241 Posts
Julie had the ‘zack same thing happen to her RM Darkhorse — only our dealership (Indian of Denver) was not upfront about it being a supply issue and we wound up spending the $2k For some blacked-out Rhineharts (that arrived two months later).

But congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
2022 Chief Darkhorse Bobber
5 Posts
Had the same experience when I picked up my 2022. Dealership didn’t say anything about it until I brought it up that it wasn’t blacked out. They put it on the bill of sale that it would be fixed …eventually.

What bugs me is that I was in the shop the next week ordering some parts and saw another guy buying the other 2022 and the dealership wasn’t being upfront with him either. The difference being he didn’t realize it was supposed to be blacked out until I told him.

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
45 Posts
I had the same chrome heatshield as well on my ‘22 Chief DH delivered 2 weeks ago. I would reach out to Indian if you are not happy with it, they were quick to send a voucher to either put the black ones on order or spend it for other Indian accessories

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here, got mine 11/7. Talk to the dealer and corporate will email you a one-time use code for $500 to cover parts and labor. Then, paint it black and buy other goodies with the 500. Are your levers a different finish? A lot of peoples are, one polished and one brushed.

·
Silver member
3,560 Posts
Nice pair. That R3 is quite a machine isn’t it?

Reactions: RebelHawk

·
Registered
2022 Chief Darkhorse Bobber
5 Posts
Are your levers a different finish? A lot of peoples are, one polished and one brushed.
Damn, I didn’t even notice this until you posted it. But yep, I have one brushed steel lever and one polished. Guess Polaris really just took any parts to finish these bikes 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
662 Posts
My wife decided she wanted to trade in her 2019 Scout Bobber (not comfortable enough for longer rides) and her 2020 Triumph Speed Twin (slightly too tall for her to feel comfortable stopping in heavy traffic) on a new 2022 Chief Darkhorse. We went to our local dealer who we have had a great relationship with for years, Cherokee Cycle here in Greenville, SC, and put down a deposit back in July 2021. We were told it would be 6-8 weeks and sure enough 6 weeks later a new Chief showed up on their website. When I called to check and it was the Darkhorse Bobber and not the Chief Darkhorse that she really wanted. With acknowledgment and apologizes that they did order the wrong bike in July back into the waiting queue we went.

Flash forward another 8 weeks and another Chief pops up on their website, this time the correct bike! With great excitement I called the dealer to confirm that this was her bike and it was on the way. About 2 weeks later we received the call and went in to pick up my wife's new bike. Walking into the dealership our eyes snapped directly to the only Chief Darkhorse sitting on the display floor and my wife rushed over. We quickly noticed one major difference to every Chief Darkhorse we had seen online or in YouTube reviews, the exhaust was chrome and not black.

Talking with our sales guy and a quick conversation with "the guys behind the desk" we were told that Indian is out of the black exhausts. In order to ship new Chiefs they are building them with chrome exhaust but we would receive a voucher to swap exhausts when available at no charge. While the bike looks a bit odd with chrome exhausts but back slip ons we happily did the paper work and my wife rode her home. She'll enjoy the company of my 2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT as we wait for warmer weather first of next year.

View attachment 659039

And a shot of that chrome exhaust.

View attachment 659040
I think that the chrome is badass in this situation. Looks very good

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,965 Posts
Either way regarding the exhaust headers you still got your new bike. There are others out there still waiting on theirs. The parts you need to make them black may take a while to be shipped but at least you can ride your new Chief while you wait.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Either way regarding the exhaust headers you still got your new bike. There are others out there still waiting on theirs. The parts you need to make them black nay take a while to be shipped but at least you can ride your new Chief while you wait.
The real problem is I can't ride it. Rotten timing on the arrival, I had surgery nine days before the bike showed up to repair an old ligament tear and arthritis. I'm in a cast until end of December and then start therapy where I was told I needed to "set reasonable expectations for recovery".

Joint Jeans Hand Arm Table

1 - 16 of 16 Posts