Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new 2019 last Tuesday. After putting nearly 18K on my 2018 Scout, it was time for a bigger bike. I like the looks of the Springy and I think you get the most bang for the buck with this bike. It's definitely a different beast than the Scout! More of a, "lumbering" feel. But, more comfortable as well.

My only complaint is that the edge of the windshield hits me right in my line of sight. I have to either slouch a little or sit straight up. Still trying to decide what to do about that. Time will tell. My second issue is buffeting. I get beat up pretty good at chest level at 80 MPH or higher. I also get some head buffeting that caused vibration and blurring.

I have a set of IndianAftermarket.com lowers on order. Hopefully that'll clean it up a bit. Already put a Captain Itch CC on it and it matches perfectly. I have a set of foot rest covers coming for the mustache bars. I had them put a 16" sissy bar and back pad for the wife on it as well as the black windshield bag, while they were prepping it. They even took care of putting in the new gear position sensor before I picked it up. In 4 days, I have 577 miles on it. I have my 500 MI scheduled for this Thursday. All in all, I'm loving it. Oh, it's the black one. I'm not normally into black bikes but the price was right for a brand-new bike.

Brian

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The lowers will sort out the buffeting. There are a lot of us Springfield riders who've had the same problem and fixed with lowers of some kind.

Some people cut the screen down an inch or two, others replace it with Freedom Shields flip screen. This sits lower down but the slight turn up lifts the wind over your helmet.

Enjoy the ride. I was another Scout to Springfield rider. There are several of us out there. (y)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am 5’10” and the 3” lower Indian windshield fits me perfect. I have an extra new 3” Indian windshield for sale in the classifieds for 2/3 of new retail ($400).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I agree with you about the Springfield being the best bang for the buck.
When I bought mine at the end of June 2017, the deal was even sweeter than before. I got $3100 off MSRP. Additionally, Indian was offering a $1500 trade-in allowance, plus $1000 of accessories, which is how I got the passenger backrest and luggage rack. I would never have paid the price for them without the deal.

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
Yep, that is a common issue on many bikes. The three things no back can get perfect due to variation is the size of humans is windshields, seats, and handlebars.

I rode my Springfield exactly twice with the windshield. Once home from the dealer and one 28 degree day. Yes, we have those sometimes in the Bay Area. I just ride mine without the fly screen. I like the looks better. But one day I will get a slightly taller one. Because as you say, at 80-90 my head is going to come off with the buffeting, LOL...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, that is a common issue on many bikes. The three things no back can get perfect due to variation is the size of humans is windshields, seats, and handlebars.

I rode my Springfield exactly twice with the windshield. Once home from the dealer and one 28 degree day. Yes, we have those sometimes in the Bay Area. I just ride mine without the fly screen. I like the looks better. But one day I will get a slightly taller one. Because as you say, at 80-90 my head is going to come off with the buffeting, LOL...
I agree, that's why I'm not whining about. I figured I'd have to fine-tune it. I read through these forums quite a bit before the purchase just to know what I was in for. I'll see what happens after I put the lowers on. My wife and I took a ride the other night, she rode the Scout for the first time and she did great! She loves it. I had to take off the dark gray Clearview Shields windshield because when the sun went down, she could hardly see through it, (I'm 5'8" and she's 5'3").

Not sure what direction I'll go at this point. I'll see how the lowers affect things. I don't mind a constant wind but when it's the kind that blurs my vision, it's annoying. So is getting hammered in the chest constantly.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,253 Posts
I find a low windshield, one that comes up about as high as my chin or mouth is tall enough. Then adding fork mounted lowers or wind deflectors cuts the updraft underneath the windshield. You'll still be getting some air but it will be much calmer air. I never liked having to look through a windshield so I get it.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I agree, that's why I'm not whining about. I figured I'd have to fine-tune it. I read through these forums quite a bit before the purchase just to know what I was in for. I'll see what happens after I put the lowers on. My wife and I took a ride the other night, she rode the Scout for the first time and she did great! She loves it. I had to take off the dark gray Clearview Shields windshield because when the sun went down, she could hardly see through it, (I'm 5'8" and she's 5'3").

Not sure what direction I'll go at this point. I'll see how the lowers affect things. I don't mind a constant wind but when it's the kind that blurs my vision, it's annoying. So is getting hammered in the chest constantly.
I had/have the same experience with my Vintage. I put the Indian brand fork mounted lowers on and didn't really like the results. They caused air flow at head level to be kind of neutral, or somewhat reversed... hard to explain. Problem was my pony would blow around and into my face, and the weird air movement would also turn me into a bobble head LOL. Again, hard to explain. So I removed the clear poly shields of the lowers and left the chrome brackets in place. The brackets are only about 6 x 1.25 inches, but they cut down the air somewhat, and seem to be a semi good compromise. The windshield on my Vintage is big. I'm just a tad over 6 ft. and look thru the shield. The big shield does a good job of blocking the wind and bugs but at times will also contribute to buffeting of the entire bike. I measured the Vintage shield and that of my Road King Police. The Road King shield is a bit smaller, but not by much. But the Road King cuts thru the highway wind a lot better. In the end I just accept the Vintage for what it is and ride it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, I to purchase the 19 Springfield I'm 5-8 original windshield was16 in high, I bought the 12in freedom shield I can see over it and have better wind protection then I did with the OEM 16".my wife ride's two up with me and she has no complaints of wind I also have the windshield bag

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had/have the same experience with my Vintage. I put the Indian brand fork mounted lowers on and didn't really like the results. They caused air flow at head level to be kind of neutral, or somewhat reversed... hard to explain.
It's interesting to hear this comment. It must be a Vintage characteristic that doesn't appear on the Springfield. The difference is the angle of the shield, the Vintage has more lean and the Springfield is more upright.

I have friends who ride BMW bikes with motorised windshields and they mention the change of wind direction as the shield rises. They mostly lift the shield in rain or cold until they feel the wind just start to change. If they go higher it pushes their head forward into the still air bubble.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, I to purchase the 19 Springfield I'm 5-8 original windshield was16 in high, I bought the 12in freedom shield I can see over it and have better wind protection then I did with the OEM 16".my wife ride's two up with me and she has no complaints of wind I also have the windshield bag
I'm interested in where you measure the windshield to get 16 inches.

Here in Australia the Springfield shield measures 15 inches and there's a few of us who can't figure out why the US speaks of 16 unless they have a different size for international shipping, which seems unlikely.

The Indian website doesn't make sense when we line up the shield sizes. For instance, the tall shield is 21 inches and they say it's 3 inches taller than standard. That makes the standard 18 inches. They also have a 'short flare' at 14 inches and say it's five inches shorter than standard, so standard becomes 19 inches. The normal short is 13 inch and they say 3 inches shorter, so back to 16 inch.

So, standard is either 16 or 18 or 19 but our shields are 15. These numbers make it difficult for us over here where we can't measure up before ordering/buying to find something that suits our different rider heights.

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
It's interesting to hear this comment. It must be a Vintage characteristic that doesn't appear on the Springfield. The difference is the angle of the shield, the Vintage has more lean and the Springfield is more upright.
That's because the Vintage's up to 2020 have a 29 degree rake vs. 25 degree rake of the Chieftain, Springfield, and Roadmaster. In 2020 they changed the Vintage rake to 25.

I not too happy about that move from a looks perspective, but it does improve cornering.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,253 Posts
It's related to the rake being different on the Vintage which has more rake angle as he said. The Springfield has quicker steering and a tighter turn radius because of steeper angle. There's a trade-off one way or the other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats for the new bike!

Springfield is a great bike, but the buffeting issue is extremely hard to solve. I’ve tried Indian lower wind deflectors, flared 16 inch windshield, another helmet, blocking the air coming from low with hand etc. Nothing helps. Ride is very relaxing up to 50 mph (80 kmh), but then it gets really shaky and the vision gets blurred on a windy day. Let us know if you find a solution for this. Quite a many first suggest lowers but at least for me and some other people it does not work. Riding without a windshield is an option, but the wind against chest is quite heavy on a long journey doing 80 mph.

Btw, the stock Springfield windshield is 15 inch tall. Measurements in Indian website don’t make sense. Same goes for helmets: the numbers just don’t add up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats for the new bike!

Springfield is a great bike, but the buffeting issue is extremely hard to solve. I’ve tried Indian lower wind deflectors, flared 16 inch windshield, another helmet, blocking the air coming from low with hand etc. Nothing helps. Ride is very relaxing up to 50 mph (80 kmh), but then it gets really shaky and the vision gets blurred on a windy day. Let us know if you find a solution for this. Quite a many first suggest lowers but at least for me and some other people it does not work. Riding without a windshield is an option, but the wind against chest is quite heavy on a long journey doing 80 mph.

Btw, the stock Springfield windshield is 15 inch tall. Measurements in Indian website don’t make sense. Same goes for helmets: the numbers just don’t add up.
Buffeting for me starts to get excessive around 80 mph. Up until that point, it's not too bad. I had thought that getting lowers would solve the problem, but hearing of your experience makes me a bit hesitant to fork out the money if it doesn't fix the problem. Since I don't ride above 80 very often, maybe I should just deal with it. I am still riding with the stock Springfield windshield, so I haven't really done any experimenting to see what might reduce the buffeting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buffeting for me starts to get excessive around 80 mph. Up until that point, it's not too bad. I had thought that getting lowers would solve the problem, but hearing of your experience makes me a bit hesitant to fork out the money if it doesn't fix the problem. Since I don't ride above 80 very often, maybe I should just deal with it. I am still riding with the stock Springfield windshield, so I haven't really done any experimenting to see what might reduce the buffeting.
Just a quick update. I stuck the Grasshopper backrest on the new bike. It's different. It forces me to sit up straight and a little forward in the seat because it's so thick. Kind of weird at first, but there's an upside...

1) I'm short-legged...29" inseam. I can now reach the protectors I put on the engine guard, and put my feet up.
2) Sitting up straight is much better for my back; the lumbar support provided is great
3) It has me looking about 1-2" over the windshield now!
4) My new position has reduced head-on wind noise and buffeting by at least 50%

Now, when I get the lowers, it should be a pretty clean ride! I'm really amazed that changing my posture like that would make such a difference. Tight, slow turns feel different and it's going to take some getting used to.

I got the 500 done already, (it had 800 on it. I buy bikes to ride them). My best friend since 5th grade surprised me with a set of the saddlebag cargo bags, so that was cool.

I'm loving this bike more and more. It looks fantastic sitting beside the Scout when my wife and I ride both bikes. When I get off it, I look at it and think, "Holy crap, I can't believe that big-ass bike feels so small!" Seriously. Honestly, I was terrified of it when I first got it. When I picked it up, I was seriously nervous as I've never had a big bagger. I rode my buddies SG for about 20 minutes and his son's Soft Tail Slim for several hours. That's it. The rest was 18K miles on the Scout.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just a quick update. I stuck the Grasshopper backrest on the new bike. It's different. It forces me to sit up straight and a little forward in the seat because it's so thick. Kind of weird at first, but there's an upside...

1) I'm short-legged...29" inseam. I can now reach the protectors I put on the engine guard, and put my feet up.
2) Sitting up straight is much better for my back; the lumbar support provided is great
3) It has me looking about 1-2" over the windshield now!
4) My new position has reduced head-on wind noise and buffeting by at least 50%

Now, when I get the lowers, it should be a pretty clean ride! I'm really amazed that changing my posture like that would make such a difference. Tight, slow turns feel different and it's going to take some getting used to.

I got the 500 done already, (it had 800 on it. I buy bikes to ride them). My best friend since 5th grade surprised me with a set of the saddlebag cargo bags, so that was cool.

I'm loving this bike more and more. It looks fantastic sitting beside the Scout when my wife and I ride both bikes. When I get off it, I look at it and think, "Holy crap, I can't believe that big-ass bike feels so small!" Seriously. Honestly, I was terrified of it when I first got it. When I picked it up, I was seriously nervous as I've never had a big bagger. I rode my buddies SG for about 20 minutes and his son's Soft Tail Slim for several hours. That's it. The rest was 18K miles on the Scout.
Compared with the Scout, the Springfield IS a handful doing slow tight turns. It's nearly 300 pounds heavier isn't it? It was awkward for me when I first got mine because I was used to sport touring bikes that weighed much less than the Springfield. With some practice you do get used to that extra weight and length.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts