Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to make a deal on an FTR. Im trading in my 2017 Scout ABS for a 2019 FTR Race Replica. Its marked down a bit from the $16,999 msrp and the dealer is giving me a fair price for my Scout, especially as its got under 1500 miles. (don't ride this bike much. hoping that changes with the FTR)

I was a fan of the FTR when it was first released, and after riding one at a demo event last year I fell in love with it. I still ride sport bikes predominately (and track them) so the FTR is much closer to that end than the Scout. The Scout is just a great bike, but Im honestly not much of a cruiser rider. At 42 yrs old, I may never be, and Im great with that.

So, anything I need to know about the soon to be new addition? I'm planning on buying the high plate mount kit, as well as the clear turn signals. Tires will be a question down the road Im sure, so I'll start reading up on the info here. Im sure I'll start looking for something more "road oriented" and stickier than the flat track type stock tires.

Anyways, I look forward to finally owning an FTR!

·
Registered
417 Posts
First of all, congratulations.... I have had many bikes (probably still have too many).... BUT the FTR S RR still puts a huge smile on face face every time out after a year of ownership.... I love this bike.... Does most things very well.... It does suffer from a few teething problems.... BUT nothing that can't be sorted.... Enjoy....

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
There are a few accessories that won’t work with the high mount license plate. (Side Bag, Messenger Bag, Side Bag Rack, Luggage Rack, Grab Handle according to the Indian website). Just for future reference so you don’t spend money on something that won’t work when you have your high mount kit on.

Also check out the thread they got going for referral codes since you should be eligible. Long running list they got for the $250 gift cards you receive for buying a bike as well as codes you give out to receive more gift cards or whatever. Referral code for $250 gift card

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’ve got a set of the clear signals that I’m looking to part ways with. Like new condition. If you’re interested shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, congratulations.... I have had many bikes (probably still have too many).... BUT the FTR S RR still puts a huge smile on face face every time out after a year of ownership.... I love this bike.... Does most things very well.... It does suffer from a few teething problems.... BUT nothing that can't be sorted.... Enjoy....
Thanks! I know the feeling. I’ve got 4 right now. My RC51 is still my absolute favorite, out of all the bikes I’ve owned. I’ve really enjoyed my Scout, and it was the gateway back into motorcycling in 2017. Hopping back into the sport bike realm though left a lot to be desired! I’m really hoping the FTR will be held up on my pedestal along with my RC, as the best bike(s) I’ve ever owned.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a few accessories that won’t work with the high mount license plate. (Side Bag, Messenger Bag, Side Bag Rack, Luggage Rack, Grab Handle according to the Indian website). Just for future reference so you don’t spend money on something that won’t work when you have your high mount kit on.

Also check out the thread they got going for referral codes since you should be eligible. Long running list they got for the $250 gift cards you receive for buying a bike as well as codes you give out to receive more gift cards or whatever. Referral code for $250 gift card
Thanks for the info! I honestly don’t have any plans for any bags or the like. Typically I wear a back pack if I need too....I don’t ride long distances anymore or take any trips aside from the 100 mile loop I’ll do on the weekends. 9 more yrs till retirement though, so maybe that’ll change then!

Thanks also for the card info....didn’t know anything about that! I’ll be looking in to that as soon as I get the bike!

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
Thanks for the info! I honestly don’t have any plans for any bags or the like. Typically I wear a back pack if I need too....I don’t ride long distances anymore or take any trips aside from the 100 mile loop I’ll do on the weekends. 9 more yrs till retirement though, so maybe that’ll change then!

Thanks also for the card info....didn’t know anything about that! I’ll be looking in to that as soon as I get the bike!
No problem, the card(s) take a while to come in, just a heads up. And have to be used at a dealer, can’t use online.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve got a set of the clear signals that I’m looking to part ways with. Like new condition. If you’re interested shoot me a PM.
Sounds good. As soon as I get the bike I’ll reach out to you if I still decide to go with them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So one thing I’m realizing now is the Ride Command or whatever can’t be used for navigation....I had originally thought that I could connect my phone via Bluetooth and have it show mapping info, like CarPlay or android auto. Looks like that isn’t possible, hence the gps threads I’ve started to read.

What are you guys using the USB port for? Music perhaps? I typically stream mine though via Sirius or Pandora.

·
Rider
1,122 Posts
Used it to sync the music to the ride command and charge the phone. But it stopped working with my phone for the music. Only works to charge.
My ftr is at the dealer for a separate warranty issue, told them to look at that while they have it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So one thing I’m realizing now is the Ride Command or whatever can’t be used for navigation....I had originally thought that I could connect my phone via Bluetooth and have it show mapping info, like CarPlay or android auto. Looks like that isn’t possible, hence the gps threads I’ve started to read.

What are you guys using the USB port for? Music perhaps? I typically stream mine though via Sirius or Pandora.
I’ve not used the USB port though it’s nice to have the option to charge my phone on longer trips. I usually have my phone connected to the ride command via Bluetooth and my Sena helmet headset also connected to the ride command. If I need directions it just plays over my headset. If I need to charge my phone I keep a cable in my jacket that I can plug in quick without issue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting....never thought about using it to charge my phone....never had that capability before! Good idea!

I use a Sena too, and connect via Bluetooth. I’ve been thinking of switching over to a Cardo unit though.

I’ll wait on the tune till I’m out of warranty. I had planned on tuning the Scout, but just never saw the need, or got around to it. Plenty fast for me...just not my style of typical riding.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, little update....I took the afternoon off work yesterday and made the switch! Rode the new FTR the hour home. What a bike! I really did enjoy it on the demo ride last year, but it was confirmed yesterday. I really didnt mess with too much, never paired my phone, etc....I tried cruise control for the first time, and its a bit "weird" but really neat. Stock tires seem ok...didn't really have any grip or slippage issues, although I was super slow and careful. The dealer's owner (who has one) has already replaced his stock rear with another one and he's only at the 4100 mile mark. Said it's really the only low point to the bike. Also made mention that it has cold start roughness. Its already had the updated software applied, but just said to be aware. No worries here, as I don't think I've ever, in 20+ yrs of riding, hit the start button and immediately driven off. I'm usually always messing around with helmet, gloves, etc...Have the high mount plate bracket, clear turn signals, and rear stand spools coming.

The only negative thing I encountered was the heat....Multiple times I thought I had a foot or leg on the exhaust or something. I was quite surprised how hot it was. Even felt hotter than my RC51, which is known for it's ability to cook it's rider. To be fair however, ambient temp was 91*, and I was wearing normal jeans...not my usual Kevlar lined riding jeans. I was cooked on the Scout on the way, so I honestly think the air temp and regular jeans were the major factors. Still though....hot hot hot. I'll try to get a picture up in a day or so...Back to work this morning and all that jazz.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The cat is your heat problem...get rid of it and it won’t burn the shit out of the backs of your legs...first thing to go on mine...couldn’t stand it and in an Australian summer I would die...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine is decatted and running a Fuelmoto tune.Above 90F the heat on the rt side is terrible in city traffic.At least the fan is on the left side cooling heat doesn't add to it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
they're a hot bike. I rode mine home the day I bought it in peak hour in 36 celsius heat and it was aweful lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking around the forum and getting ideas, I think Im gonna order the Toce cat delete link pipe. No tune for now though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looking around the forum and getting ideas, I think Im gonna order the Toce cat delete link pipe. No tune for now though.
1. You’ll want the tune with the cat delete, it’ll run a lot better.

2. I have a Toce cat delete pipe that I had on for a few days and decided it was too loud for me and I reinstalled the cat. Call it $160 shipped CONUS? If you're interested in it PM me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts